Headphone Sightings 2
May 2, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #6,676 of 12,415
I flew quite a bit recently. I saw plenty of Bose Noise cancelling, Bose on ears, some type of AT in ear (hard to tell which), a Klipsch S2 (that's a new one for me) and an incredible amount of apple ear buds. I can't imagine using ear buds on a plane.

One other thing. Am I the only one who is bothered by the sight of people wrapping their earphones around an MP3 player? It is especially annoying to me if they leave the earbuds plugged in and then wrap them.

May 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6,678 of 12,415
I saw this guy walking around campus, twice actually, with a pair of Grados on. I was actually so surprised I stopped and stared at him for probably three or four minutes, which to a stranger, might seem odd. I wasn't close enough to get a model, but they were Grados.

May 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #6,679 of 12,415
I was having a nice walk until I saw someone with a Sennheiser PXC 450. They were huge, weird looking and flashes a red led light which I would be embarrassed to be seen with. Also, it's the first time I've seen one of those.

May 3, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #6,680 of 12,415
I spent some time in St. Louis this weekend and my girlfriend and I talked about the differences between urban and rural areas when it comes to headphone usage. In the more rural area where I live, you never see people walking around wearing headphones, even earbuds/IEMs. In St. Louis on Delmar Blvd this weekend, it was CONSTANT. Every person we passed seemingly was wearing IEMs and a few were rocking full-size headphones. Maybe it's a personal thing, but I'm way too paranoid to walk around with both ears plugged, especially in a city in which I'm not 100% comfortable.

That being said, I saw a lot of Skullcandys (the Rasta ones seem to be getting very popular) and other loudly colored IEMs, a lot of Apple buds, and at least one pair of what I think were Sennheiser full-sized.

May 9, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #6,683 of 12,415
The Beats headphones are spreading around college campuses like a plague. Those atrocities were swarming around during my time at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and somehow are getting introduced to the masses even at Peking University in China now.

Great marketing, I'll give them that.

May 9, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #6,684 of 12,415
Quote:
The Beats headphones are spreading around college campuses like a plague. Those atrocities were swarming around during my time at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and somehow are getting introduced to the masses even at Peking University in China now.

Great marketing, I'll give them that.

Do you know any hi-fi headphone who actually had a TV ad?

May 10, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #6,686 of 12,415
Headphone sighting for the last two days:

1. A Denon D1100 used by a girl who looks like an Emilly Charr student (inside a bus)
  2. A Shure SRH 840 used by a Japanese guy in Downtown (inside a bus)
  3. A V-moda crossfade in Canada line station
  4. A new beats wireless in SkyTrain station (the box is hanging in the hand)
  5. A beats pro used by a guy in downtown

It is kind of unusual to see more hifi headphones than beats... :p

May 10, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #6,687 of 12,415
In Noe Valley yesterday -- a whole different world.  Quite a few headphone sightings in a short amount of time i.e. picking up hippie food at Whole Foods.

- black/red Beats Mixr.  second Mixr sighting for me
- clear Shure IEM right behind me at the checkstand.  I was like
eek.gif
.  Not sure how to tell the model though.
- black MDR-ZX100
- black Beats Solo, black Beats Studio

elsewhere that day:
- grey Incase Reflex.  also second such sighting for me.
- other stuff.  goshdarn memory.

also at Whole Foods:
a gal that had ∫ f(x) dx tattooed on her neck, behind her ear.  I was like
eek.gif

Then I saw the other side of her neck:
d-dx.gif
f(x) 
(i think)

I was like
eek.gif

May 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #6,689 of 12,415
Recently, kids at my school have started wearing these:

They're cheap cyber acoustics cans that are $12 and sound like garbage. They're meant for educational use in school music classes, not sure why anyone would use them. Other than that, it's bose IEMs and apple whites. I come to school with a different pair of cans all the time, people ask me where I get them.

May 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #6,690 of 12,415
Quote:

- clear Shure IEM right behind me at the checkstand.  I was like
eek.gif
.  Not sure how to tell the model though.

Fully clear with no BA, SE215
Brownish clear with BA, SE535
Not sure about the others
The BA drivers look like tiny rectangles.

Saw a Philips headphones with a headband that looks similar to a Grado. The drivers are rectangular and glossy though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back