Headphone comparison: Sennheiser HD 600, HD 700, HD 800, HD 25-1, and the Amperior; Audio-Technica ATH-M50s; Audez'e LCD-2 rev.2 and the LCD-3
Jun 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #151 of 226
The HD700 must be really, really hated. Out of all the headphones I've had, they've been the hardest to resell.  I love my HD800, but it's really interesting to see how much the HD700 has been maligned when it isn't that much of a step down.  I used a DHC copper headphone cable and it felt like much of the treble and bass issues went away.

I would argue that it is the LCD2 to the HD800's LCD3, but I do think it's less of an evolution and more of a different tune.  Many of my friends found the HD700 to be the better sounding can from the WA7.  

For the going rate of around $650-$700, I would consider it unbeatable.  Sure, the HE-500 may be technically better, but the comfort of the HD700 makes it more fun for longer listening sessions.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #152 of 226
I think one of my next big purchases will be either the HE500 or HD 700. I keep reading about the HD 700 and the arguments against it seem very scattered. Would love to hear the critical feedback in a more focused tone.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #153 of 226
Quote:
I think one of my next big purchases will be either the HE500 or HD 700. I keep reading about the HD 700 and the arguments against it seem very scattered. Would love to hear the critical feedback in a more focused tone.

Exact same position, unfortunately there's nowhere I can compare the two.

Edit: Though I did enjoy the HD700s when I heard them.

Jun 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #154 of 226
Quote:
Exact same position, unfortunately there's nowhere I can compare the two.

Edit: Though I did enjoy the HD700s when I heard them.

Just getting the chance to hear them would be great. I'm almost certain I wouldn't be able to find them locally, so I think I'm just going to make sure I do a hell of a lot of research and make sure that if/when I purchase, the store has an excellent return policy.

Jul 11, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #156 of 226
Quote:

In general (meaning there are exceptions) I've noted that those who have been around in a while don't like the HD700 or at least see it as a poor value. I do have to say however that the HD700 was by far one of the most comfortable headphones I've used. If you like the tonal balance of your HD600 or HE400, you may not like the HD700, unless you are looking for something drastically different tonally. I find both the HD600 and HE400 very even-keeled with the HD600 being incredibly tonally accurate (so long as the pads are in good shape and not torn, washed, bleached, shredded to bits.)

The HE500 is darn uncomfortable, but that can be corrected by bending the headband to relieve "the clamp" and adding padding to the underside of the headband. The HE500 is also not very efficient, and my preference has been to drive it with a good low-noise speaker amp. The HE500 is quite linear like the HD600, but a tad darker with maybe some slightly emphasis in the mid-bass and the tape hiss region.

Quote:
Just getting the chance to hear them would be great. I'm almost certain I wouldn't be able to find them locally, so I think I'm just going to make sure I do a hell of a lot of research and make sure that if/when I purchase, the store has an excellent return policy.

You should look into attending the upcoming LA meet. There definitely will be an HE500 there, or if not, I will bring one. I don't know if the HD700 will make an appearance. They seem rather rare at meets. At the SF meet earlier this year, one guy brought the sole HD700. He knew that he was going against the grain because he liked them (LOL, he knew that many of us who organized the meet hated the HD700 quite passionately), but he also acknowledged that "sometimes they made him cry" (presumably in pain, not pleasure.)

Otherwise order from Amazon. Return it if you don't like it. Don't even feel bad about it since Amazon has driven brick-and-mortar stores, where you can try stuff, out of business.

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #157 of 226
also with HE-500 and HD 700, theres the Beyer T90 which is supposed to be very good.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #158 of 226

I couldnt agree more on that! I believe if you think form the beginning the HD700 will suck major u wont be able to have any fun with them.

And btw thank u very much 4 this legendary review! 
beyersmile.png
 Helped me very much with deciding wether to get the 700s or not. And I didnt regret it one sec.

Exactly :) I love HD700 and don't find them painfull. Just with some poor recordings treble isn't that enjoyable. 

I think it depends on what kind of sound signature are u into. I would give best rating to HD700 from all headphones I had so far. Beyer T1 being second right behind and third HD650.

Thanks for great read Windsor.

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #160 of 226
  I personally like the HD700 alot more than the HD800's, don't know why they are so hated..

My guess is prototype that lot of ppl tested had some treble issues and they fixed it already. Otherwise I have no idea how could someone give these "crap" award, seriously saw it on some web.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #161 of 226

My guess is prototype that lot of ppl tested had some treble issues and they fixed it already. Otherwise I have no idea how could someone give these "crap" award, seriously saw it on some web.

Exactly. there is literally no way anyone could believe that this headphone is "crap", it simply is not. in my opinion its performs way above its price range, I also have no issues with the fit, I actually find it to be very comfortable.

Nov 15, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #162 of 226
  Exactly. there is literally no way anyone could believe that this headphone is "crap", it simply is not. in my opinion its performs way above its price range, I also have no issues with the fit, I actually find it to be very comfortable.

Yep comfort is also excellent I would say it's same as HD650 in this regard, I just forget I'am wearing headphones after first song 
smile.gif
 I love that I can listen to nearly everything on these from stuff like Asking Alexandria and Slipknot to Hilary Hahn's Violin and Antonio Vivaldi 
biggrin.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #163 of 226
  I personally like the HD700 alot more than the HD800's, don't know why they are so hated..

HD800 owners of course will 'protect' their investment and diss the cheaper and better little brother. :wink:

THANK YOU for this excellent comparison! One of the best I have ever read. I own HD600 and 650, and I auditioned HD700 and HD800 for a long time. I agree with all of your comparisons between these two and finally I ended up buying the HD700. :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #164 of 226
I think my next phone is either going to be an HD700 or Rs1i, unless I come into some money in which case I'll probably spring for the HD800. IF it's a lot of money maybe both :)

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #165 of 226
HD700 are going for $650 now in a number of sites.
I'm more of a portable/IEM type with my only headphones being Momentum, and never saw myself getting a full size ones.
But jumped impulsively on a new one for super cheap at $500 thinking I could sell it off for a better price. But after reading all the mixed reviews and even good ones, I'm tempted to just keep it for myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back