Headphone comparison: Sennheiser HD 600, HD 700, HD 800, HD 25-1, and the Amperior; Audio-Technica ATH-M50s; Audez'e LCD-2 rev.2 and the LCD-3
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #121 of 226
Weighing in late, but thank you for this review.  As a new owner of the HD700, this review was invaluable.  After reading so many negative reviews of the HD700, but liking what I heard each time I listened to it myself, I finally went ahead and purchased it.  One point about the negative reviews is that they tend to come from people who are defending other Sennheiser phones, most notably the HD650 and HD800.  I understand that people want to feel they've made the right choice and stick by it, but sometimes the negativity feels defensive.  Which is why I really appreciated this review, which compares the HD600, 700, and 800 fairly.  I am now pursuing the HD600 because of this review.  So thanks.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #122 of 226
Quote:
Hi there - you may enjoy the Sennheiser HD 600 as an awesome all-round headphone and compliment to the HD 700. It may also be worth considering the HD 800 as a possible step-up/upgrade from the HD 700. 

Whatever headphone (s) you opt for, I'd say it's probably worth going to a meet or a local store to try whatever you are considering buying before making the purchase. If you are happy with the HD 700, perhaps something non-flagship but excellent and portable like the Sennheiser Momentum could be a top choice.

:)

Thanks! all good options so I´m gonna try some of these!

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #123 of 226
Quote:
I understand that people want to feel they've made the right choice and stick by it, but sometimes the negativity feels defensive.  Which is why I really appreciated this review, which compares the HD600, 700, and 800 fairly.

agreed!

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #124 of 226
Thanks for the positive comments on the review - I wrote the differences at the time as clearly as I could. :)

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:07 AM Post #125 of 226
Portable music is important to me -- I use it during chemo and when recovering in bed for many days afterwards.  But I'm not feeling the urgent need to upgrade -- I can live with what I have and not spend more.  

Still, I would love to hear the HD700.  Anyone know of a store with them on display within a reasonable drive of Silicon Valley, including San Francisco?  

I have auditioned the HD800 at length: several units with different cables and amps of all types.  At best, the upper-mid/lower-treble emphasis was "troubling" (at worst it was "intolerable" to my ears).  Despite it's other well-known virtues, I stuck instead with my HD650; I can forget about audio and simply enjoy music, with a response profile that sounds natural to me if not ultimately detailed.  I've modified my HD650s slightly for greater clarity, most recently adding the brand new Cardas Clear Light cable.  

I would be interested in any mods to the HD700 or 800 that alleviate the brightness (so to speak).  I'm also very interested in the LCD-2 or 3, and the HE-500 (but not for portable listening unless I upgrade my amp power yet keep it small).  

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #126 of 226
Quote:
Portable music is important to me -- I use it during chemo and when recovering in bed for many days afterwards.  But I'm not feeling the urgent need to upgrade -- I can live with what I have and not spend more.  

Still, I would love to hear the HD700.  Anyone know of a store with them on display within a reasonable drive of Silicon Valley, including San Francisco?  

I have auditioned the HD800 at length: several units with different cables and amps of all types.  At best, the upper-mid/lower-treble emphasis was "troubling" (at worst it was "intolerable" to my ears).  Despite it's other well-known virtues, I stuck instead with my HD650; I can forget about audio and simply enjoy music, with a response profile that sounds natural to me if not ultimately detailed.  I've modified my HD650s slightly for greater clarity, most recently adding the brand new Cardas Clear Light cable.  

I would be interested in any mods to the HD700 or 800 that alleviate the brightness (so to speak).  I'm also very interested in the LCD-2 or 3, and the HE-500 (but not for portable listening unless I upgrade my amp power yet keep it small).  

I haven't tried modding the HD 700, but with the HD 800, two options spring to mind that might make the HD 800 more two your liking. 

1. The Anaxilus mod. This is basically applying some foam inside the HD 800, which is relatively easy to do and just requires an inexpensive selection of craft materials. I wrote a bit about the Anaxilus mod in my HD 800 review here. Also, Tyll Hertsens has an excellent post about it here

2. Aftermarket cabling. I bought an aftermarket copper cable (a Moon Audio Black Dragon) which adds weight to the bass and changes the treble emphasis adding some warmth to the sound. This option is costlier than the Anaxilus mod, but could be a very enjoyable experience for you. These days, I mostly use the standard HD 800 cable as I prefer the neutrality and definition. If you're interested in that cable, I'm open to selling/lending mine.

Best wishes,
Windsor 

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #127 of 226
P.S. if you enjoy portable audio, I highly recommend the Sennheiser Momentum headphone. I've been enjoying it a lot recently and find it preferable to the HD 800 when I want a less micro-detailed yet neutral sound. It's probably worth a look. 

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #129 of 226
Quote:
P.S. if you enjoy portable audio, I highly recommend the Sennheiser Momentum headphone. I've been enjoying it a lot recently and find it preferable to the HD 800 when I want a less micro-detailed yet neutral sound. It's probably worth a look. 

smily_headphones1.gif

that sounds really interesting! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #130 of 226
I listened to Eee Pees modded HD700.  They sound pretty good.  However I didn't have a un modded pair to compare to.  The modded pair sound like or maybe even better than the T1..

I would like to get them side by side at home to compare.

May 26, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #134 of 226
Quote:
A
Are you considering the HD 700 also? What else have you considered and how did you arrive at that consideration? Im interested because I am also considering but a little conflicted at this point.

I'm also considering the HD650 and HE-500 but there's nowhere for me to demo those two locally. What are you considering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back