Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 6, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #10,606 of 12,592
These look alright, specs seem to note a 8mm driver unless I'm reading/interpreting wrong. Ugly as sin though, but begger's can't be choosers at this point. They are in the running, and I will keep looking until about 10:00pm MST tonight and then I'll pull the trigger. I'm also not averse to a more budget option I can use as beaters down the road, but would prefer something I can use all around and be satisfied by.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #10,607 of 12,592
I was looking through this thread in a moment of crisis as my previous set of IEMs died on me 3 days before I leave for a substantial flight with countless hours of travelling after. I only have open back headphones, and I really dislike travelling with a full pair of cans regardless, so I need to immediately replace them with something that is readily available. My initial pick was the Sony XB90EX's that are highly regarded for their price point, but I can't find any in stock that will deliver in time.

Could anyone please recommend a sub $200 set that has prime availability on Amazon? I am looking to overnight them. I looked in to the OP, but almost all of these are incredibly hard to find or are discontinued. Thanks in advance!

I haven't heard the following but some stuff that has been mentioned on thread. "Fulfilled by" and search results have the Prime logo:

LMUE amazon storefront has A&D AD01 (from unamped list, seems like a pretty postiive consensus too), TFZ 5 (from HBB list), the Fischer Dubliz (someone mentioned this a few pages back).

The Yamaha EPH-M100 (was on one of the lists at some poitn I think). Opinions here seem mixed but there are a few Fender IEMs in this price range also.

Personally, I like the Future Sonics G10 (also fulfilled/prime), can rec if you like a flattish+bass club monitor sound.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #10,608 of 12,592
I ended up going with the AD01 as I liked the detachable cable, sound signature sounded about right on par with what I was looking for, and being able to replace individual parts in a modular fashion is appealing. Inevitably, I always end up with something going wrong with IEMs regardless of how careful I seem to be.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #10,609 of 12,592
  I ended up going with the AD01 as I liked the detachable cable, sound signature sounded about right on par with what I was looking for, and being able to replace individual parts in a modular fashion is appealing. Inevitably, I always end up with something going wrong with IEMs regardless of how careful I seem to be.

​Bro, love that set. sub bass without a mid bass hump so mids are fine. Very nice sound for long listening sessions. Good stuff, good choice!

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #10,610 of 12,592

I wanted to go for these ones, but finally need MMCX and they have some new kind of connection neither 2-pin or MMCX.
Good result for you anyway !

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #10,611 of 12,592

​Bro, love that set. sub bass without a mid bass hump so mids are fine. Very nice sound for long listening sessions. Good stuff, good choice!

The mix on the treble in a lot of the Hip Hop I enjoy, specifically Danny Brown/RTJ/Wu type stuff, can get fatiguing. I figured these would help alleviate that, and the bass sounds like it slaps real nice so I have no doubt I will love them when I play 'em for the fist time on my flight tomorrow. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #10,612 of 12,592

The mix on the treble in a lot of the Hip Hop I enjoy, specifically Danny Brown/RTJ/Wu type stuff, can get fatiguing. I figured these would help alleviate that, and the bass sounds like it slaps real nice so I have no doubt I will love them when I play 'em for the fist time on my flight tomorrow. 

Do you roll off the treble on your EQ? 

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #10,614 of 12,592
3/9/2017 Rose Aurora Update

STILL CERTIFIED BASSHEAD. My XB90ex has been resting.

I've purchased a $12 silver plated copper cable from Aliexpress. It looks badass and sounds great. I daresay it takes a step in the direction of the SZ2000's sound with the silver plated copper cable. Everything is tightened up, treble is opened up & far sweeter but still non fatiguing, and bass impact is not suffering more than maybe 5% subjectively at most. Since the extra 5% or so on the stock cable has considerably less definition than the silver plated wire, I will continue to use the silver plated copper. NOT pure silver, that will kill your bass impact, unless that's what you're after . The SZ2000 uses silver plated copper as well. I would not complain if the silver plated copper became standard... and stop putting those little white tags by the 3.5mm Rose! 
wink.gif

Tips used on my Aurora are Sony hybrid tips. Once I discovered Sony tips fit on perfectly I have used nothing else (they provide the impact of the stock tips with the clarity of the spiraldots.)

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #10,615 of 12,592

I've purchased a $12 silver plated copper cable from Aliexpress. It looks badass and sounds great. I daresay it takes a step in the direction of the SZ2000's sound with the silver plated copper cable. Everything is tightened up, treble is opened up & far sweeter but still non fatiguing, and bass impact is not suffering more than maybe 5% subjectively at most. Since the extra 5% or so on the stock cable has considerably less definition than the silver plated wire, I will continue to use the silver plated copper. NOT pure silver, that will kill your bass impact, unless that's what you're after . The SZ2000 uses silver plated copper as well. I would not complain if the silver plated copper became standard... and stop putting those little white tags by the 3.5mm Rose! 
wink.gif

Tips used on my Aurora are Sony hybrid tips. Once I discovered Sony tips fit on perfectly I have used nothing else (they provide the impact of the stock tips with the clarity of the spiraldots.)

Hows the build quality microphonics on it?

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #10,616 of 12,592

Hows the build quality microphonics on it?

build quality top notch. i am still gonna chop off the 3.5mm and replace it with something else i have (just remembered i have a nice switchcraft waiting to be used)

microphonics are not really an issue on it. they come with the bendy heatshrink for around your ears..... i just sat here and shook the cable hard as i could in every direction, nothing?

just noticed test tones are way better on this cable than the stock one, bass mekanik sounds so much better, as all the bass is tighter with the silver plated cable, so yeah maybe if you get an aurora try to convince em to sell you one without a cable and go find a spc one 
wink.gif

This is one of the few times i'll ever endorse silver plated copper.... i am usually a pure copper dude

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #10,618 of 12,592
[COLOR=40E0D0]3/9/2017 Rose Aurora Update[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]STILL CERTIFIED BASSHEAD. My XB90ex has been resting.[/COLOR]

I've purchased a $12 silver plated copper cable from Aliexpress. It looks badass and sounds great. I daresay it takes a step in the direction of the SZ2000's sound with the silver plated copper cable. Everything is tightened up, treble is opened up & far sweeter but still non fatiguing, and bass impact is not suffering more than maybe 5% subjectively at most. Since the extra 5% or so on the stock cable has considerably less definition than the silver plated wire, I will continue to use the silver plated copper. NOT pure silver, that will kill your bass impact, unless that's what you're after . The SZ2000 uses silver plated copper as well. I would not complain if the silver plated copper became standard... and stop putting those little white tags by the 3.5mm Rose! :wink:

Is the pink cable the $12 one you are talking about? How does it sound with the cappuccino 2? Would appreciate it if you can share the AliExpress link. thanks!

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #10,619 of 12,592

wink.gif

Hi everyone, first post!  I'm just starting off and the research to buy my first decent iems got me looking at the AD01 up until I saw your Rose Aurora post.  I was wondering how these will do without an amp as my main source will be mobile phones (LG V20, Galaxy S7 Edge).  I have a broad taste in music (hip hop, r&b, rock, reggae, edm, classical, jazz...and so on) and I appreciate separation and clarity but my appreciation fades fast when I'm anticipating a portion of the song with plenty of lows and it literally makes me pout because the bass isn't punchy or defined.  A comparison between the two would be nice if you have experience with the AD01, otherwise feedback regarding use without amp and fatigue from lengthy listening sessions would also be appreciated.  I'm also curious about the MMCX cable you purchased so please share a link if you can.  Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #10,620 of 12,592
  Hi everyone, first post!  I'm just starting off and the research to buy my first decent iems got me looking at the AD01 up until I saw your Rose Aurora post.  I was wondering how these will do without an amp as my main source will be mobile phones (LG V20, Galaxy S7 Edge).  I have a broad taste in music (hip hop, r&b, rock, reggae, edm, classical, jazz...and so on) and I appreciate separation and clarity but my appreciation fades fast when I'm anticipating a portion of the song with plenty of lows and it literally makes me pout because the bass isn't punchy or defined.  A comparison between the two would be nice if you have experience with the AD01, otherwise feedback regarding use without amp and fatigue from lengthy listening sessions would also be appreciated.  I'm also curious about the MMCX cable you purchased so please share a link if you can.  Thanks in advance!

I dont have the AD01 and meant to get one, but the Aurora ended up impressing me so much I didn't really feel like getting the AD01 as well! I hope you understand! I still wish to try it at some point, but the Aurora complements the XB90EX so well, and i know the AD01 is not impressive when amped but is exceptional unamped.... I only use Aurora off my phone 5% of the time, or else i'm amping.

Thing about the unamped aurora is you will get bass reach and texture as well as big fat in your face bass sound. BUT, it kind depends on your source too. That said I can run my Aurora off an Xduoo X3 with rockbox (250mw @ 32 ohms) and my LG V10 (??? output power) and it doesn't get quite to the impact levels as with an amp, but still very very good.

Unfortunately I don't wanna talk TOO much about the aurora in a non amped setting because 1) I basically only tested it as much as I had to in order to know what it was like, so i could get back to bass bombing with an amp haha, and 2) I dont own the AD01/Rayaudio yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back