Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #10,397 of 12,597
impact can't be compared, hands down 800st.

from a Bassophile's ( its gonna stick
wink.gif
) view, fx1100 wins.   Sets that beats it in terms of this, ex1000, u8, vegas.

I wouldn't take this on a flight though.  I can only wear them an hr at a time, they should have made the cables over ears

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #10,399 of 12,597
yup from a audiophiles point of view.  ex1000, U8, vegas, beats it in terms of quality.

But you know how that goes.....

this thread ain't got time for quality!! 
wink.gif

Edit:  ok so people can get a better understanding.   Full on basshead mode, nothing can beat the 800/7550.  These things don't distort or give a one note bass line.  But when you have your eq set for bass and SQ, the other 3 beats it that area.  Quality is soooo subjective, others might disagree with me in terms of this, but a brotha ask, so i givith my opinion

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #10,400 of 12,597
impact can't be compared, hands down 800st.

from a Bassophile's ( its gonna stick :wink: ) view, fx1100 wins.   Sets that beats it in terms of this, ex1000, u8, vegas.

I wouldn't take this on a flight though.  I can only wear them an hr at a time, they should have made the cables over ears

I buy different cable just for that. Actually just to try at first but then stick with it. More comfortable & not easy to fall.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #10,402 of 12,597
All rec's are welcome. Hype is never welcome but your rec seems devoid of blind fanboyism and they don't cost $1,000+ dollars so...it's cool.

Appreciate that, got these hanging in my ears now and enjoying them a lot.
And I want to thank for all the advice everyone has given me. After watching @hawaiibadboy videos I learned how important an amp is, never really thought that I needed one before, and how to eq. I invested, and yes I consider it an investment, in a Fiio e17k (entry level, but its got me on the right road) and the additional power and control is awesome - never going back. With -2 bass and +4 treble on the hardware side I've got a really nice pair of IEMs banging away in my ears. If I had just tried them from a phone or DAP I would have never got such great sound. I had a lot to learn.
I've learned a lot of good things from you guys, and enhanced my music enjoyment a lot.
Cheers!

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #10,404 of 12,597
Thanks to those who gave some recommendations to me a while back in this thread. 

I had been looking to drop up to $400 on a bassy IEM, but after plenty of research I think I've settled on the xb90ex, which seems like a great deal (just found one for $85). Before I pull the trigger, I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how these compare to the other IEMs I've owned: ATH-CKS1000, DN-1000, EPH100, and MHA750. 

I am especially curious how it stacks up against the CKS1000... my set died after my cat chewed through the cable right at the earpiece, ruining them beyond repair. I was thinking of buying the CKS1000 again but I am looking for a new sound, and from what I gather the xb90ex should be a step up in the bass department, particularly as sub bass goes.

I'm also starting to look at a DAC and/or amp in the <$200 range and am wondering how the xb90ex is when amped, and if it's worth it to spend good money on an amp for this IEM (or any of the others I listed). Any particular hardware recommendations are also welcome. I mostly use a Galaxy 5 with Spotify (Extreme quality), or a 5th Gen iPod.

Any input is much appreciated!

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #10,405 of 12,597
Just wanted to drop a -thank you- in here , spent some $$$ based off your recommendations especially hawaiibadboys with his videos on YouTube.

If any1 is looking for spare / replacement cablea for Sony mdr-ex800st like I was , they can be bought through tenso/buyee. I've Gone through too many cables n now I'm just paranoid but it's good to know they are available

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #10,406 of 12,597
Don't buy the xb90ex unless you are going to amp it or use a powerful dap. If not, get the Radius n21 or whatever the hell it's called. Xb90ex needs juice to sound good. I have rha t10, which is supposed to be better than the 750s, not in same league... Sony blows it away. Can't help much with the other IEMs.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #10,407 of 12,597
it all depends how much of basshead are you to justify getting a amp for the xb90 or 7550.  or even needing one.

I've never heard the xb90  but some have said that a taped 7550 has the same amount of bass as the xb, unamped and no eq used.

to me a taped 7550 will have enough bass for most without an amp.  I use it this way with my phone when i do outside activities like hiking, gym, ect, and i'm totally fine with it.  Of course at home or when i'm out and about and a amp isn't to cumbersome, i'll use one with eq.

So yeah, it's pretty good without an amp, way better with one.

the radius 21 is also a great set for non-amp users but its hard to find now.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #10,409 of 12,597
The xb90ex unamped, is pretty terrible, IMHO of course. Waste of $ to buy that and not power it.

To each their own of course, but I must disagree. I really enjoy mine alot unamped. Obviously it is better amped, but I don't mind cranking the volume on my phone to get power to the bass. I have a note 4 though, so maybe that's part of it.

I think it'd be hard to do better unamped bass under $100, but I'm definitely not an iem guy so I could be way off. Whats a better option for unamped bassy iem in your mind?

...maybe I just really like the sony sig.

Feb 17, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #10,410 of 12,597
Not everyone is like us brotha 
wink.gif
 @warrior1975

Lately i've been thinking that the two extreme threads are the TRUE basshead threads.  People from all over the interweb come here to get info, not opinions.  Being one of the members thats mentioned on the very first page we got to be considerate of all levels of bassheads not only the extremes.  If we don't think this way, this place is no better than the elitist threads that are everywhere on this forum. Of course when you talk about quality, this place ain't got time for that, but for sheer impact and quantity this place is it. 

HBB said it before, this place bigger than all of us now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back