Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 14, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #10,381 of 12,591
Since I got into motorcycling, I've been looking for a CIEM that's got enough bass to hear while riding. I keep seeing the 8 driver 64 Ears one, but that's just a ridiculous amount of money (I spent about that much on my motorcycle!) So I was wondering if there are any other CIEMs that can make any amount of good bass. I've already got an amp with bass boost by the way.

If you are willing to go custom, kumitate can offer some great stuff. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #10,383 of 12,591
i'm looking for bassy IEM but with bluetooth.  I have an iphone and it's likely i'll be upgrading at the end of the year.  The new iphones do not have a headphone jack anymore, so bluetooth looks like the right direction.

if budget were no object, is there anything out there at the moment?

Feb 14, 2017 at 8:19 AM Post #10,384 of 12,591
  i'm looking for bassy IEM but with bluetooth.  I have an iphone and it's likely i'll be upgrading at the end of the year.  The new iphones do not have a headphone jack anymore, so bluetooth looks like the right direction.

if budget were no object, is there anything out there at the moment?

Depends - you could use a Soundblaster E3 or E5 and use any wired IEMs (E3 and E5 connect via Bluetooth to the iPhone). Or you use one of the many bluetooth cables like this one from Westone or Noble:
https://www.westone.com/store/music/index.php/accessories/bluetooth-cable.html
or
https://nobleaudio.com/en/shop/wireless/

or a lightning cable for your IEMs:
https://www.aaw.me/products/capri-balanced-lightning-earphone-cable-with-hi-res-dac
...if your IEMs have removable cables.

Or you go with bluetooth IEMs but then - I wouldn't do that. 

Besides: your new iPhone will have a headphone jack. It's in the box in form of an lightning to headphone adapter. And additional ones can be bought from Apple for $9 - so maybe hold off on the bluetooth headphone for a while....

I use the MeeAudio X7 in the gym and love them for that. 

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #10,386 of 12,591
Since I got into motorcycling, I've been looking for a CIEM that's got enough bass to hear while riding. I keep seeing the 8 driver 64 Ears one, but that's just a ridiculous amount of money (I spent about that much on my motorcycle!) So I was wondering if there are any other CIEMs that can make any amount of good bass. I've already got an amp with bass boost by the way.

I ride too and personally would never use IEMs now on a motorbike (3 times I did nearly wiped-out) but I remember pasting over a CIEM add-on hack/mod to the Sony MDR-7550's.
I tried searching images top right of the page, but I think quoted images from other threads don't show up in the thumbs. I'll try scanning the thread but it was in last 6 months.

Edit : Google images to the rescue - http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-check-first-post-for-review-links-information/1665#post_8446178

Feb 14, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10,388 of 12,591
Yes, very much. Has to be rooted running V4A, and it's a bass monster. Add Neutron for the next level. Best basshead dap for overall impact.

Isine20s can be equed and can hit pretty hard with a proper seal.

This "bass monster"... that thing keeps stealing all my money :frowning2:

(edit: sorry not referring to the DAP, just being silly)

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #10,389 of 12,591
Hi,

Since I'm now trying to get more active in the forum, just wanted to take a moment and thank this thread for giving me some of the best sounding IEM's I've heard. Because of this thread I have the ASG 2.5, 7550, XB90 and Z5. I listen to my IEM's using my iphone 6 plus and my headstage arrow 5tx with enhanced bass boost. I really enjoy the VEVO app (app to watch music videos) while running on a treadmill, and that's why I need an amp that gives me the capability to EQ the sound externally while watching music videos. I don't just listen to music through an app such as Newton or Equalizer.

As far as full size headphones I have the SZ-2000 and use them with my iFi iCan micro special edition and only when I listen to this combo, I use the Equalizer app because these things need heavy EQ. I also tried the Sony Z1R for 30 days and really enjoyed them. They don't have the same impact capabilities as the SZ2000 but with EQ and an amp they can really rumble too.

Because of this hobby I'm seriously considering some Android smartphones but am not there yet.

Anyways, so after reading all 693 pages and counting, wanted to thank you all again for the good info.

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:54 AM Post #10,390 of 12,591
My new IEMs have too much bass...:rolleyes: :D
Whilst weighing up my options on a new pair of EX800s I decided to get myself a pair of "beaters" something tough for outside use in my hot and humid homeland. Looked at stuff on your lists, and wanted initially to get a pair of Alpha Deltas, but the size and low impedance, along with warnings of "slow" bass made me rethink.
So I bought a pair of Fischer Audio Dubliz Enhanced from lendmeurears. Overnight delivery from Singapore.. :)
And they fit the brief perfectly, aluminium shells with Kevlar detachable cables. Big, not as big as Alphas I think, but they fit well and I'm not overly worried about them sticking out of my ears. Build quality seems very good, nice selection of tips including foams. Very pleased.
And they have bass! Oh yeah, lots of bass! Using all the standard test tracks, Wiz Khalifa gave me thrumming ears :D On The Run, I could hear the PA announcement clearly (not as detailed as my Sony hybrids though..) and the "space ship" crashed very nicely into the back of my head. Listening to Van Halen, with the low level production value that it has, I could hear, no..Feel, the bass lines more clearly than ever before. With ambient electronic like Future Sound of London, there was almost too much sub bass. Note: for me, I love this bass, but would not describe myself as a full oN basshead. Just a fledgling basshead.:cool:
For the very first time I had to eq the bass "down" on some Primal Scream dub recordings and Perfect Circle live (really well produce if you like that sort of thing). Never felt sub bass so strong. My reference is my Sony XBA A1 (owned) and a2 (extensively auditioned) and my overs, Sony MDR 1a ( not basshead, but not bass lite either when eq,ed.
I suppose the double dynamic sounds like I imagined the AD01 would sound, so I merely offer this as an alternative, if anyone gets the chance tohear them I think they would be pleased, V shaped to a degree, miss lower, zero sibilance (my pet hate) and plenty, plenty sub bass. And 34ohms gives space for amplification and power.
Just a random recommendation, I was pleasantly surprised, I though they would be balanced with a bit of bass, I didn't expect basshead but I think I got it.
:)
Edit: on my iPod the bass is almost out of control, boomy as hell. Out of my Fiio M3 it sounds right, I can't explain why this is, never had such a difference before. Out of my new e17k, they sound...mm, just right, pretty happy with them.
Edit 2: These are very dark, maybe too dark? But eq on my e17k has brought them out nicely. Not sure about a full rec, but certainly I am enjoying these plenty.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #10,391 of 12,591
Feb 15, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #10,392 of 12,591
How do what you have differ from : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011UW4K7K/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

These are sold through Amazon US via LendMeYourEars-Singapore.  But they do not seem to be the enhanced.. Do you notice anything that would make these less desirable for a basshead?

According to the makers description, and reviews in Singapore press, the Enhanced have got more bass,enhanced package as well as bass.
Note that reviewers found "punchy, not overwhelming" bass...So maybe it's just me :rolleyes: My pair have super low rumble still listening today, but definitely the older set you showed will not have.
Edit: and I've managed to take them, they are very tip dependant - standard silicone, or comply make them boom, single flange small bore rubber make them sound rich and normal. Very source dependant too, iPod made them boom, but too boomy. Still reckon AD01 probably better for bass, but I have not, repeat not heard those, so grain of salt. All I know is that these are pretty good, but I am not a full on basshead, so even bigger grain of salt. :rolleyes:

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #10,393 of 12,591
I am not a full on basshead, so even bigger grain of salt.
rolleyes.gif

All rec's are welcome. Hype is never welcome but your rec seems devoid of blind fanboyism and they don't cost $1,000+ dollars so...it's cool.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #10,394 of 12,591
According to the makers description, and reviews in Singapore press, the Enhanced have got more bass,enhanced package as well as bass.
Note that reviewers found "punchy, not overwhelming" bass...So maybe it's just me
rolleyes.gif
My pair have super low rumble still listening today, but definitely the older set you showed will not have.
Edit: and I've managed to take them, they are very tip dependant - standard silicone, or comply make them boom, single flange small bore rubber make them sound rich and normal. Very source dependant too, iPod made them boom, but too boomy. Still reckon AD01 probably better for bass, but I have not, repeat not heard those, so grain of salt. All I know is that these are pretty good, but I am not a full on basshead, so even bigger grain of salt.
rolleyes.gif

I appreciate your thoughtful response. Thank you!

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #10,395 of 12,591
  Poor isolation is what I'm looking for so these might be the hot ticket. Looks like 850's are about 150-250 used-new and the 1100 are around 350. You think the 1100 are worth 100-200 more? I could throw the extra 200 at a portable dac/amp...

So I took the fx1100 out for a spin last night.  From a scale of 1-5 isolation would be at a 3, ex1000 would be at a 2, 7550 w/tape would be a 4, active cancellation sets would be 5.

The fx1100 is a good set, wide stage, smooth sound sig, mids are where I like them, bass is deep and punchy for non-bassheads.  Don't know how the fx850 are but big thumbs up for the 1100s.

Theres a set of 850 in classies right now for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back