Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Sep 29, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #9,226 of 12,592
  just asked shotgunshane about the flc ... from what he can remember he likes the 'clear, clear and gold' (neutral/balanced) config best.
he also trusts forrestwei alot....i know the soon to be released celeste at the last canjam show got alot of attention and praise (as did the flc 8s)...so will be interesting.

my experience with iems is very limited...but it seems a tough balance to get the bass right...sure you can
add quantity, but if it overwhelms the other parts of the spectrum or creates a 'veil' then it doesn't do much justice
to the overall spectrum....i could be wrong, of course.

I got the FLC8 and A83 and A3 right in front of me and they are all 1DD 2BA sets. They have their good points but none play like the 800ST or EX1000.
I cannot create multiple bass peaks for the hybrid sets but can for the EX. That is critical because a 4 string bass guitar has 2 strings that generally go far beyond the shelf EQ most folks apply to the bass region (120-180Hz roll off point for shelves generally). Then when applying that multi peak bass EQ to Hip Hop it becomes clear how much sampling and bass guitar they still use even on recent gems like Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly". I have heard everything on here sans the new Audeze IEM and I would put my IEM in balanced up against anything at any price and see who's set can raise the bass the most without disrupting the mids.

Take a piece of paper, cut it into 3 pieces based on where the DD and each BA pick up and let go of their duties. In a graph that puzzle fits but in ear not as much.  I heard the finest Kumitate lab IEM and even their amazing gear was lacking a cohesive playback.  Lots of good hybrids. None like the ex1000 or even 7550 when tuned.

Some folks cannot get the 1000 to make bass. Well, some folks can't rock a half pipe on a snowboard...heck some folks cannot even ride a snowboard. You know what I mean? Different levels of interest and time investment yield different results.

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #9,228 of 12,592

I got the FLC8 and A83 and A3 right in front of me and they are all 1DD 2BA sets. They have their good points but none play like the 800ST or EX1000.
I cannot create multiple bass peaks for the hybrid sets but can for the EX. That is critical because a 4 string bass guitar has 2 strings that generally go far beyond the shelf EQ most folks apply to the bass region (120-180Hz roll off point for shelves generally). Then when applying that multi peak bass EQ to Hip Hop it becomes clear how much sampling and bass guitar they still use even on recent gems like Kendrick Lamar's "To Pimp a Butterfly". I have heard everything on here sans the new Audeze IEM and I would put my IEM in balanced up against anything at any price and see who's set can raise the bass the most without disrupting the mids.

Take a piece of paper, cut it into 3 pieces based on where the DD and each BA pick up and let go of their duties. In a graph that puzzle fits but in ear not as much.  I heard the finest Kumitate lab IEM and even their amazing gear was lacking a cohesive playback.  Lots of good hybrids. None like the ex1000 or even 7550 when tuned.

Some folks cannot get the 1000 to make bass. Well, some folks can't rock a half pipe on a snowboard...heck some folks cannot even ride a snowboard. You know what I mean? Different levels of interest and time investment yield different results.

before i went and bought the flc i asked the always helpful jokerl on headphone list of his op.
i'll share it with you...you might find it interesting...i was (still am) seeking something very detailed, resolving...balanced
even, some warmth..but still great bass slam..sound too much eh?

in his op: the flc is an more analytic iem...vs the sony mdr 7550 being more warmish/musical
the only iem that combined both (in his op) was the earsonics velvet
(btw: shotgunshane also suggested the aurionsic 1plus as an alternative to the 7550...your op?)
http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/flc-technology-flc8/

yet in the end i have to realize we all listen differently from one another and prize certain elements over the other.

canali on July 11, 2016 5:16 pm
well, I tried the trinity delta v2…gold and purple damped, and gray filters…didn’t do it for me the way the sony 7550 can..so off they go to some happy person….but incoming in a week or so will be the flc 8s.

1. ljokerl on July 12, 2016 1:17 am
    FLC8 and 7550 is quite a contrast. Very rare for someone to enjoy two IEMs with such different sound signatures equally, but at least the comparison will definitively tell you which side of the fence you’re on.

1. canali on July 12, 2016 6:05 am
      how so do they differ in your op, jokerl? i’m no seasoned critic like you so am still trying to ‘find my way’ per what sounds good (a retailer also suggested i try the cardas a8, one of his fav iems and he also carries the JH line)
      anyway, for now at least, as i’m still exploring iems and cans, i like balance, detail, resolution and good bass slam (like the 7550) , but for not the iem/cans to be overly boring or analytical. and i haven’t heard the flc so we’ll see…but just ‘had to try them’ due to the hype.
      i do like the vsonic gr07’s sound (but could be at times a bit sizzly to me ears, lacked a bit of warmth)

1. ljokerl on July 13, 2016 12:06 am
        The 7550 is a warmish, smooth, perhaps even slightly mid-centric IEM. IMO it’s what the classic Shure SE530/SE535 would sound like it they used a dynamic driver driver instead of BAs. Very easy-going sound that’s well-suited for many types of listeners. Perhaps not quite bassy enough for the mainstream, but neutral enough for music professionals and a good sound sig for audiophiles as well.
        The FLC8 is more like the GR07, can still be relatively neutral but it’s never mid-forward and hard to call smooth as it has very energetic treble. The tuning system makes it a little harder to generalize, but I tend to think of it as mildly v-shaped. Don’t see anyone finding the bass excessive, but it could be a little bright for someone used to an SE530, for example. That’s just sound signature, from a technical standpoint the FLC8 is extremely capable in every way.

1. Canali on July 13, 2016 6:11 am
          Thank you…so which side of the musical fence am I on? I guess we will find out. On this note i was reading Twisters recent review of The Campfire Andromeda and he said this is a rare iem that is able to combine both sides of the spectrum ..is it really that difficult to find such? I mean I love musical sounding cans and itms but also equally so detail, separation, balance and resolution.

1. ljokerl on July 13, 2016 11:01 pm
            Very difficult – the last one that made me feel that way was the EarSonics Velvet, which is ~$700 and not always readily available.
            But it’s really not all that black and white. All earphones fall somewhere along the spectrum, it’s the “midpoint” that will differ from one listener to another.
            Perhaps the MDR-7550 captures just enough of the “analytical” side of things for you, and anything beyond that will be too much, or perhaps you’ll have a tough time going back to it after hearing the level of resolution the FLC8 is capable of.
            Or maybe the opposite is true and the 7550 is a little too much on the neutral side already. There certainly are people who prefer Sony’s ridiculously bass flagship (the Z5) to the 7550. Some probably even consider its sound more natural.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #9,230 of 12,592

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #9,231 of 12,592
@canali If you don't mind sacrificing full bass extension and impact and prefer not to EQ, Earsonics might be a good fit- Jokers description of the Velvet is pretty much how I feel about S-EM9- though to me EM9 bass is closer to the 'pressure' character of xb90 or ASG. If I understand your phrase "Airy Bass Slam" correctly I think it is hard to beat EQ'd ex1000... DN-2000J is very similar in character but much less capable in terms of impact and quantity (and even more trebleheaded).

IDK it's still running but Massdrop was doing the Velvets recently for $5xx- Earsonics also just announced two lower priced dual and triple BA, models in the same 'interest category' as S-EM9, but no actual impressions yet.

A little discouraged that you couldn't find a sweet spot with the FLC8s tunability- been curious about those for a while. Did you find the tuning was more of a subtle effect than a drastic change to the signature?

thanks i'll check nassdrop out...still working on tweaks
just ordered 6 pkg combo from mee audio/ebay dual flange mee tips for better isolation since we all know tips make a huge part in the sound... so am not done yet
http://www.ebay.com/itm/131772221603

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #9,233 of 12,592
@canali If you don't mind sacrificing full bass extension and impact and prefer not to EQ, Earsonics might be a good fit- Jokers description of the Velvet is pretty much how I feel about S-EM9- though to me EM9 bass is closer to the 'pressure' character of xb90 or ASG. If I understand your phrase "Airy Bass Slam" correctly I think it is hard to beat EQ'd ex1000... DN-2000J is very similar in character but much less capable in terms of impact and quantity (and even more trebleheaded).

IDK it's still running but Massdrop was doing the Velvets recently for $5xx- Earsonics also just announced two lower priced dual and triple BA, models in the same 'interest category' as S-EM9, but no actual impressions yet.

A little discouraged that you couldn't find a sweet spot with the FLC8s tunability- been curious about those for a while. Did you find the tuning was more of a subtle effect than a drastic change to the signature?

thanks for your suggestions...i've also ordered the mee audio combo pack from ebay
to further experiment with better fit (as we all know how key that is)

so still seeking that 'sweet spot'

inevitably it's also in the quality of the music we listen to***:
if it's not mastered well, or is not meant to have that bass separation, then we're SOL
I love listening for the bass guitar melody...or the kick drum, for instance.

now you bassheads might not think this is 'basshead' level...
but my point is how wonderfully the bass guitar stands out
...and with the right iems/cans has some air to it but also you can hear
the other instruments well enough, too

***finally ordered 24/196 flac Rush downloads from 7digital
the 2015 remastered works by sean macgee @abbey road studio
moving pictures and permanent waves

Oct 1, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #9,234 of 12,592
  thanks for your suggestions...i've also ordered the mee audio combo pack from ebay
to further experiment with better fit (as we all know how key that is)

so still seeking that 'sweet spot'

inevitably it's also in the quality of the music we listen to***:
if it's not mastered well, or is not meant to have that bass separation, then we're SOL
I love listening for the bass guitar melody...or the kick drum, for instance.

now you bassheads might not think this is 'basshead' level...
but my point is how wonderfully the bass guitar stands out
...and with the right iems/cans has some air to it but also you can hear
the other instruments well enough, too

***finally ordered 24/196 flac Rush downloads from 7digital
the 2015 remastered works by sean macgee @abbey road studio
moving pictures and permanent waves

Bass guitar is pretty much 4 bass hits with long decay. It's basshead. My EQ is built on a bass guitar and shines on all stuff from Bob Marley to 2pac.

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #9,235 of 12,592
Free filter for Win/OSX - Phat analog filter, also expands the sound-stage.....vinyl kind of presentation.
http://www.pluginboutique.com/products/1410-SGA1566
Almost same as another $99 one, wave arts tube saturator - just not as pretty.
http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/ts2/

Oct 1, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #9,236 of 12,592

Bass guitar is pretty much 4 bass hits with long decay. It's basshead. My EQ is built on a bass guitar and shines on all stuff from Bob Marley to 2pac.

pls share the details...would be interested to see that EQ setup....and as per a long decay on a bass guitar (or all that air from a good drum slam)...yes it certainly
is a wonderful thing...remember reading that is why neil peart (rush) didn't like electric drums as much as traditional: that natural lack of decay, splash/dispersion of air
(from electric drums)

Oct 1, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #9,237 of 12,592
what happens when you give a soldering iron to a basshead

flare audio plus hyperion bbbbasssee plus flare cleaniness and Hyperion ssssubbbase= clean bbbbaseeeee lol

Oh, my God, why are you torturing your ears?
blink.gif

Oct 2, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #9,238 of 12,592
I used it for two days then put as it is. was good clean bass, cumbersome build though.

it makes you realise if you want clean bass you need to spend lots of money, quality iems cost lots of money.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #9,239 of 12,592
Hey guys, im here to find a good IEM for EDM, probably always without amp but with amp sometimes (MOJO).

I want the punchy bass that can crank up volume while the highs are not sibilant, Any recommendation? 

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #9,240 of 12,592
forgot to mention my budget is around $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back