Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Sep 28, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #9,212 of 12,596
  well i've had the FLC 8S for a bit now...and despite experimenting with various filter configs 
(red, gray, gray...to red blk (more bass) and gray) i find myself asking sometimes 'where's the beef?'
...guess I miss the slightly warmer sound of the venerable sony 7550 esp with all that fab bottom end and airy bass slam
...and yet it still has all details and an overall balanced sound which I like.
no the xb90ex didn't do it for me at all...esp when compared to the 7550s

wish sony would make an updated 7550 like 'high res' version
(since it's older) but with the xb90ex fit.

this said....might have to step back into the game...
i know the FLC celeste is due soon (but will be pricey as
their signature TOTL iem)

...anything in the audio tecnica line I should look at
...or Dunu?
...or other?

suggestions welcomed.

JVC FX 1100
Nice bottom
huge stage
good treble
worn straight down

Sep 28, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #9,213 of 12,596

JVC FX 1100
Nice bottom
huge stage
good treble
worn straight down

many thanks.

while i do like the details of the FLC 8S..might stll experiment with blk filter for mid bass
...but still will check out the jvc fx1100....i'm sure you and others on here have done a review
so i'll do some research...guess it's the larger brother of the 850, from what i'm reading.

thank you for the suggestion

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #9,214 of 12,596
well i've had the FLC 8S for a bit now...and despite experimenting with various filter configs 
(red, gray, gray...to red blk (more bass) and gray) i find myself asking sometimes 'where's the beef?'
...guess I miss the slightly warmer sound of the venerable sony 7550 esp with all that fab bottom end and airy bass slam
...and yet it still has all details and an overall balanced sound which I like.
no the xb90ex didn't do it for me at all...esp when compared to the 7550s

wish sony would make an updated 7550 like 'high res' version
(since it's older) but with the xb90ex fit.

this said....might have to step back into the game...
i know the FLC celeste is due soon (but will be pricey as
their signature TOTL iem)

...anything in the audio tecnica line I should look at
...or Dunu?
...or other?

suggestions welcomed.

Why did you let go 7550s and not considering having them back?

Sep 29, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #9,216 of 12,596
Sep 29, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #9,217 of 12,596
Why did you let go 7550s and not considering having them back?

as i stated earlier unfortunately they broke...fragile cable and connection... also wouldn't reorder them as they're
not best for true portable (walking around portable..stick out, wind noise etc).
time for sony to come out with an updated version...was reading shotgunshane and he thinks so, too...esp
given their huge following and status

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #9,219 of 12,596
as i stated earlier unfortunately they broke...fragile cable and connection... also wouldn't reorder them as they're
not best for true portable (walking around portable..stick out, wind noise etc).
time for sony to come out with an updated version...was reading shotgunshane and he thinks so, too...esp
given their huge following and status

They need to release another 16mm mylar PET and not a LCP/titanium coated one. The 800ST/7550 and 1000 dominate the "H" and "A" series as well as the "Z" I owned most everything Sony made in the last 7 years and the EX series is the best for everything from Young Jeezy to Tchiakovsky.

Sep 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9,220 of 12,596
Just received my Rock Zircon, a cheap bass heavy iem from China.

My early impressions about the sound: very warm but fun sounding; recessed mids with a boosted (boomy) bass. Typical V shaped curve I would say. Reminds me a lot of the Piston 2.0. Due to the design of the housing, insertion and position is critical, move it a little bit and the sound becomes all muffled and pretty bad. Stock tips are pretty average, I'll try another type of tips later.

For $10 it's a great iem for the gym, bus, heavy bass lovers and really (at least for me) any situation when you don't need critical listening. I'm liking them a lot with EDM, more than my Philps SHE3590.

Sep 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #9,222 of 12,596

They need to release another 16mm mylar PET and not a LCP/titanium coated one. The 800ST/7550 and 1000 dominate the "H" and "A" series as well as the "Z" I owned most everything Sony made in the last 7 years and the EX series is the best for everything from Young Jeezy to Tchiakovsky.

just asked shotgunshane about the flc ... from what he can remember he likes the 'clear, clear and gold' (neutral/balanced) config best.
he also trusts forrestwei alot....i know the soon to be released celeste at the last canjam show got alot of attention and praise (as did the flc 8s)...so will be interesting.

my experience with iems is very limited...but it seems a tough balance to get the bass right...sure you can
add quantity, but if it overwhelms the other parts of the spectrum or creates a 'veil' then it doesn't do much justice
to the overall spectrum....i could be wrong, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back