Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 23, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #8,551 of 12,592
Thanks. I recently visited their site & they were offering this model for Bass enhancement. per your (& the other headfiers) List, this has been my go to for scouting my Basshead IEM. Right now the '64 ears are really out of reach for me. That's why I'm looking everywhere.

Save your money and save up for the u8 if you really want an all BA basshead set.

Compared to all the other so called BA basshead sets, this is the most reasonably priced. If your patient you can find a pair in the classies For a really good price or wait for a sale from 1964. They usually have a 20% off couple times a year.

You see the list? The only ones that are left in my arsenal are the 7550 and u8s. It says a lot.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:36 AM Post #8,552 of 12,592
Save your money and save up for the u8 if you really want an all BA basshead set.

Compared to all the other so called BA basshead sets, this is the most reasonably priced. If your patient you can find a pair in the classies For a really good price or wait for a sale from 1964. They usually have a 20% off couple times a year.

You see the list? The only ones that are left in my arsenal are the 7550 and u8s. It says a lot.

Thanks, chillaxing...Yes, absolutely they do say a lot....

Jul 24, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #8,554 of 12,592
Thanks dudes. For the majority of my portable setup listening time, I use an app called "MOOV" which is a streaming music app that does not support EQ on the iPhone.  Therefore I must cater for this fact and anything that sounds better only after EQ does not suit me.

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #8,555 of 12,592
Tried the MDR-7550 and the bass is incredible with the vents blocked, but I find myself craving for more mids and treble presence. So I'm looking at the EX1000 but couldn't find any mention of mods that will bring the bass to 7550/EX800ST levels.

Are there any mods to increase the bass of the EX1000 without EQing? Will the tape mod work?

Sorry if this has been asked.

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #8,556 of 12,592
Tried the MDR-7550 and the bass is incredible with the vents blocked, but I find myself craving for more mids and treble presence. So I'm looking at the EX1000 but couldn't find any mention of mods that will bring the bass to 7550/EX800ST levels.

Are there any mods to increase the bass of the EX1000 without EQing? Will the tape mod work?

Sorry if this has been asked.

No the 1000 has big vents but it does not behave like the 7550. It needs power and EQ. Lots of both.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #8,558 of 12,592
That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.

But still curious how will covering the EX1000's vents change the sound? Is there anything to be gained by doing so?

The 7550 raise sub bass even if you just put your fingers over the vent. I get no result from the 1000 by using my fingers.
The ex1000 has the biggest stage of any IEM I have heard in any price range.
Like the ma900 of IEM (big driver/open back)..gotta be related to the vent but damned if not a thing changes when covered with my finger
confused.gif

What was the track that that gave poor mids with 7550?

I use the Allman Brothers Greatest Hits which has a lot of bass guitar/guitar and male vocals and they seem to not suffer when vent is covered (lots of mid range freq's in there). The treble is naturally rolled. The stage is reduced with a tape mod for sure.

If I have time tomorrow I will full tape the 1000 vents and see what comes. There is another vent as well ( 2 on each driver housing)

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #8,559 of 12,592

The 7550 raise sub bass even if you just put your fingers over the vent. I get no result from the 1000 by using my fingers.
The ex1000 has the biggest stage of any IEM I have heard in any price range.
Like the ma900 of IEM (big driver/open back)..gotta be related to the vent but damned if not a thing changes when covered with my finger
confused.gif

What was the track that that gave poor mids with 7550?

I use the Allman Brothers Greatest Hits which has a lot of bass guitar/guitar and male vocals and they seem to not suffer when vent is covered (lots of mid range freq's in there). The treble is naturally rolled. The stage is reduced with a tape mod for sure.

If I have time tomorrow I will full tape the 1000 vents and see what comes. There is another vent as well ( 2 on each driver housing)

Yes, when I tried the 7550 I put my fingers over the vents and immediately heard the difference. It truly was overwhelming basshead-level bass.

I didn't say the 7550 has poor mids. It's actually pretty good for what it has, very smooth and good detail, just that coming from mid-forward IEMs I wished there was more of it (it felt recessed to me). Treble is indeed rolled off and I wanted better extension and presence.

Looking forward to your findings with full taped EX1000! If the EX1000 can get near that level of bass without EQ it'll be perfect.

Jul 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #8,560 of 12,592
Yes, when I tried the 7550 I put my fingers over the vents and immediately heard the difference. It truly was overwhelming basshead-level bass.

I didn't say the 7550 has poor mids. It's actually pretty good for what it has, very smooth and good detail, just that coming from mid-forward IEMs I wished there was more of it (it felt recessed to me). Treble is indeed rolled off and I wanted better extension and presence.

I've found the 7550 mids to be excellent and can be pretty lush and forward, depending on your setup. The treble is rolled off to me.

But, this is the basshead thread, so cranking up the bass puts the bass up front, which is outstanding with the 7550. I agree with hawaiibadboy on the Allman Brothers as well as Pink Floyd, my favorite band, sounding amazing. Cheers to dominating bass.

Jul 26, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #8,561 of 12,592
I've found the 7550 mids to be excellent and can be pretty lush and forward, depending on your setup. The treble is rolled off to me.

But, this is the basshead thread, so cranking up the bass puts the bass up front, which is outstanding with the 7550. I agree with hawaiibadboy on the Allman Brothers as well as Pink Floyd, my favorite band, sounding amazing. Cheers to dominating bass.

Lush yes, forward maybe slightly. But I've been spoiled by even better mids so the 7550's mids are nothing special to me. For the price it is certainly excellent though. Bass is just spectacular when the vents are blocked, never heard so much bass in an IEM before.

One more question: does the 7550/800ST benefit from power as much as the EX1000 do?

Jul 26, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #8,562 of 12,592

... Which PF album ? Right now my best is below. With regard to the Allmans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back