Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 17, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #3,631 of 12,591
is that the iphone version of an equalizer for spotify?
the spotify one for androids is pretty plain jane...needs more eq bars to tweak not just 5.
luckily for my laptop, however, the equalify.pro works quite well.

and also, thanks for the heads up on the iFi not being a portable dac.

question on my rig, please:
it was suggested for my rig to get a  better dac than the dragonfly, since i'm using my laptop as my main source
...laptop to dragonfly 1.2...to easily driven sony cans 7550...that is ok...

but if dragonfly  is running as a dac (from laptop) to my mapletree audio headphone tube amp then 
i was cautioned i needed a better dac to pull it's weight.

this from one helpful poster in another forum: ''[COLOR=454434]The Dragonfly has serious limitations, IMHO.  A great DAC is in the implementation.  That means rigorous linear-regulated power supplies for every different voltage that's needed in a DAC implementation.  That means 3.3V, 5V, etc.  IOW, a DAC with a separate power supply is almost always going to be superior.''[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454434]i know this isn't forum related 100%, so excuse, me, but thought i'd get some feedback from experienced people here for suggestions[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454434]for better dac options if running to my headphone tube amp.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=454434]or i could just sell the headphone tube amp and go with a chord mojo or iFI ican micro se.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454434]decisions....[/COLOR]

Yes spoteq is an equalizer app for iphone. It works in conjunction with spotify premium. Its a different app that takes your playlist from spotify and let's you eq it.

What do you feel missing from your setup?

Unless you want a all in one unit that's portable, then I would stick with what you have. I looked at the specs of the Dragon fly and it puts out a 2v signal. Idsd micro is 2v and mojo is 3v. Which means the Dragon fly is already putting out a clean strong signal

Jan 17, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #3,632 of 12,591
thanks, chillaxing...well i'm no techie...and the gent's reply to me (as quoted)
sorted of created some FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) 
so i thought i'd would investigate further and get some feedback.

and like many on here, im seeking great sound...and am trying my best to understand  terms like ''symmetries between components/outputs/sensitivity/impedences '' etc
(again being no techie, so it's not easy)....so i really don't know if anything could be better..or is missing.

and i wouldn't mind a unit (using laptop) that is versatile: for both at home and on the road.

Quote:
Yes spoteq is an equalizer app for iphone. It works in conjunction with spotify premium. Its a different app that takes your playlist from spotify and let's you eq it.

What do you feel missing from your setup?

Unless you want a all in one unit that's portable, then I would stick with what you have. I looked at the specs of the Dragon fly and it puts out a 2v signal. Idsd micro is 2v and mojo is 3v. Which means the Dragon fly is already putting out a clean strong signal

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #3,633 of 12,591

Well learning the tech stuff and what numbers and specs mean and what they do is easy, there Google. Just don't get caught up in all the subjective mumbo jumbo.

If you want the most versatile and butt load of power, go for the idsd micro.

You want the most portable, go for the mojo.

Both are great

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #3,634 of 12,591
Honestly the ifi dsd dac amp and battery charger from videos on you tube it seem awesome, even the price ,compared to the mojo,now I heard there was some hissing from a lot of people when it come to iems, you have to select specific iems for it, now overhead cams are.wonderful, but all in honesty, my fiio desktop with any of the docking amp dacs are.wonderful, also the fiio 12e, with the 18k amp dac and battery charger is awesome when I use them together with my fiio x5, now with my cell they sound awesome also,and for the price you can always stack two fiio 12e and one 18k dac and amp plus battery charger at half way ,.it should last two days or an extra andes07k, I love fiio, I never bought the x1, is it good, or the new 55.dollar one that came out they said it makes lot.of noise from a lot.of peoplw

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #3,635 of 12,591
Honestly the ifi dsd dac amp and battery charger from videos on you tube it seem awesome, even the price ,compared to the mojo,now I heard there was some hissing from a lot of people when it come to iems, you have to select specific iems for it, now overhead cams are.wonderful, but all in honesty, my fiio desktop with any of the docking amp dacs are.wonderful, also the fiio 12e, with the 18k amp dac and battery charger is awesome when I use them together with my fiio x5, now with my cell they sound awesome also,and for the price you can always stack two fiio 12e and one 18k dac and amp plus battery charger at half way ,.it should last two days or an extra andes07k, I love fiio, I never bought the x1, is it good, or the new 55.dollar one that came out they said it makes lot.of noise from a lot.of peoplw

Of course overhead cams are great. VTEC all day :)

Jan 17, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #3,636 of 12,591
thank you for your imput.

enjoy anna, again, this time playing bass on 'get lucky' by daft punk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVVBTePZSg&ab_channel=AnnaSentina
not bad: 3.5 million views
wink.gif

victor wooten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJAJZ0Xn4pA&ab_channel=BassTheWorld.com

Quote:
Well learning the tech stuff and what numbers and specs mean and what they do is easy, there Google. Just don't get caught up in all the subjective mumbo jumbo.

Both are great

Jan 17, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,637 of 12,591

Both are great

This.

I will just copy and paste if folks ask in the future. It's a simple and truthful summary

Jan 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #3,638 of 12,591

This.

I will just copy and paste if folks ask in the future. It's a simple and truthful summary

thanks to you both!

post #3  from h1f1add1cted  says similar here on the diffs and goes into greater detail ...they have both the iFi micro and mojo (must be nice)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/789009/chord-mojo-vs-ifi-micro-idsd-vs-m9xx-optional-vs-audeze-deckard-lcd-3-or-sony-xba-z5
  1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3e/100x100px-LS-3e2dbf9d_333.jpeg[/img]
  1. h1f1add1cted
  2. badge_500.v1413585573.png
  4. offline
  1. 649 Posts. Joined 4/2014
  2. Location: Germany

I want to compare the iFi micro iDSD and the Chord Mojo. Of course it's only my opinion. On this "high end audio" segment the difference on gear is mostly really small and sometimes only incremental steps between. The human audio memory is weak and without the same loudness level on both sources the slightly loader source will always sound greater and some other reasons come accross into with comparing gear. So blind testing is really tough job and for me which impresses me most is that the Mojo is on really really low volume, even more "impressive", than any other DAC/AMP I've tried yet with IEMs/CIEMs, but not with my full size cans.

The micro iDSD I own since almost the first release and the Chord Mojo I got one of the first units from the first batch. In the past I tried Chord Hugo vs iFi micro iDSD, but only with my full size cans and never with any of my IEMs/CIEMs. In the past I don't found a big change in terms of SQ, that a upgrade to the Chord Hugo from the micro iDSD is worth the money (for me), so for me I stopped looking into this Chord world.

But since the first leak of the coming Chord Mojo and the price tag I was really interested how this little baby Hugo will do the job, but my main focus was now a small DAC/AMP for my IEMs/CIEMs, because the mirco iDSD is to powerful, even with IEMatch enabled and don't like the volume matching with the analogue poti and the form factor is still a little bit large, which not a pleasure for my taste on use with IEMs/CIEMs.

So I ordered the Chord Mojo but the first bad experience was my unit was defect, my Mojo had serious buzzing/hissing noise, I got a replacement Mojo and this unit is buzzing/hiss free.

After some serious time I spent on compare for me both devices has their strengths. In general, I don't use the Mojo for full size cans. I use the Mojo only for my IEMs and CIEMs, after my comparing incl. full size cans.

The micro iDSD drives all my full size cans pretty amazing including my HD 800. This should not sound like the Mojo isn't able to drive the HD 800 well too, no but please the iDSD has a monster amp section and provides greater battery life which is for me also important. One of the parts which is only present whithin the big brother - the Hugo - is the great analogue crossfeed feature. This is missing on the Mojo, but the iDSD has his own awesome analogue crossfeed which I really love and I like it for classical music (which I mostly hear).

With sensitive IEMs/CIEMs it's a different story, the Mojo is perfect for such sensitive headphones (regardless the small treble roll off the Mojo has), I prefer the really great volume matching and it's slightly better overall in terms of SQ compared to the iDSD but only with IEMs / CIEMs, this change is not like day and night, but it's easy to hear. Is it's worth to spent 600 Euros for this kind of "small" upgrade? For me yes it is, because it's not only the SQ it's the whole package of the Mojo I like.

For full size cans I personally don't would use the Mojo, for me the bang for your buck in this price range for full size cans is still the iDSD imho. I would never gave any of them both back, I'm happy I'm not interested any more in dedicated DAP world, since the Mojo provides very impressive audio performance: http://ohm-image.net/data/audio/rmaa-chord-mojo-24-bit , or the iDSD will never has trouble fire up any full size cans I maybe will own in future. I like my DAP + DAC/AMP combos, since I use two DX50 as transport with large battery and 256 GB full size sd cards (soon with 512 GB full size sd cards, but currently with 300 Euros to expensive) and don't need any other gear for semi portable use.

Again it's only my opinion, I know different taste, different impressions, different needs and much more (incl. the budget) makes at the end the choice of the right gear. So happy listening all Mojo and iDSD users.

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #3,639 of 12,591
This guy describing so called "bass" of a dap. "I have twice now had to stop working on a paper with the music loud as the bass is so realistic that I can swear there are footsteps behind me (creepy). With material such as Diana Krall which is extremely well recorded and features prominent stringed bass, the Onkyo presents the bass with actual scale and weight. So much so that it fools my brain into feeling the bass all the way down my body". For him thats amazing bass and many who reads that will think thats great bass. What will bassheads think?

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:35 AM Post #3,641 of 12,591
The hardest punch I ever heard from an iem was definately Monster Miles Davis.

I still own other very good IEMs for bass, like UM3X, Atrio MG7, Earsonics SM3, XBA-4 and many others, but for punchy bass, hard hitting crazyness, I doubt something can, or will beat The Miles Davis someday.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #3,642 of 12,591
The hardest punch I ever heard from an iem was definately Monster Miles Davis.

I still own other very good IEMs for bass, like UM3X, Atrio MG7, Earsonics SM3, XBA-4 and many others, but for punchy bass, hard hitting crazyness, I doubt something can, or will beat The Miles Davis someday.
Those are pretty good but the 2.5 has almost double plus its wider with better mids and highs.

Jan 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,644 of 12,591
I will be getting my 2.5s tomorrow and putting them threw there paces on some heavy dubstep and trap.

Where do you recommend I start with the bass port? Fully closed then open it up til it's to much bass?
pointed down (6 pm) is closed and up (12 pm) is fully open. I keep the right ear piece pointed between 12 to 3 down to 6 and never point it 12 to 9 to 6pm. I would point the right earpiece at 4 pm. Left earpiece at 8 pm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back