Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #3,646 of 12,595
Is there a reason why you didn't different times on each ear?

Wouldn't you want it to be consistent or is one of your ears more sensitive?
cause the port turns forwards so on right earpiece going forwards will go clockwise hence 12 ,3, 6 and forwards on left earpiece will be 12, 9, 6 turning counter clockwise. Both sides should be equally 20% open.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #3,648 of 12,595
I will be getting my 2.5s tomorrow and putting them threw there paces on some heavy dubstep and trap.

Where do you recommend I start with the bass port? Fully closed then open it up til it's to much bass?

Hahah, when I got the ASK 2.5 to demo and review I put them on and listened for an hour then thought. Geez man, that bass is unreal, let me close the bass ports a bit. I then realised they were closed already..... These are really subwoofer like in ears. Unfortunately they weren't comfortable for me, so I didn't buy them in the end.

I would say, start closed, then go wide open and then circle in towards your preferred setting.

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #3,649 of 12,595
Any of y'all bassheads try the dual dynamic Puro IEM500s yet? Admittedly, the would only interest you after adding bass with EQ, as they are designed to be balanced. Nevertheless, they are designed to take EQ and lots of power, up to 100 mW IIRC, without distortion. I'm loving them with a bass boost, and you can feel them way down below 20 Hz.

Apologies if already discussed, I know I haven't read every page here.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #3,650 of 12,595
I've been hearing about them in other threads and am curious but haven't tried them yet. I bought some Carot IEMs I heard had good bass response but I don't expect them to be basshead.

Jan 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #3,651 of 12,595
Any of y'all bassheads try the dual dynamic Puro IEM500s yet? Admittedly, the would only interest you after adding bass with EQ, as they are designed to be balanced. Nevertheless, they are designed to take EQ and lots of power, up to 100 mW IIRC, without distortion. I'm loving them with a bass boost, and you can feel them way down below 20 Hz.

Apologies if already discussed, I know I haven't read every page here.

I have tried them, they are extremely impressive. I am honestly not sure if I would classify them as basshead IEMs, but I can say that they are definitely worth more than 3x their price of $50.

Clarity and imaging is off the charts for the price, soundstage is massive, treble has been the only treble I have heard that isn't tinny sounding in the slightest (I normally don't focus on treble but this is pretty impressive.

But the bass...it is like being in outer space, where the bass is the dark matter surrounding you. It fills all the voids (not thin sounding thankfully), has a commanding quality presence without too much coloration or quantity. And the best part is that the bass feels like an abyss. It isn't overbearing, but it never seems to end.

NOTE: These impressions are from someone who has used Noble 3Us, Westone 3s, Rha T10s, but not the Asg 2.5s, which are the bass abyss kings by vote, which I would completely agree with. Just my take, price doesn't see. To be a factor here. I need to amp these..

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #3,652 of 12,595
I received my alpha delta ad01 yesterday, after almost a month since I ordered them on 21 December. They probably took so long because of the holidays and new year.
Anyway they got here and I am very, very pleased. From the looks (I got them in silver with the upgraded cable and comply foams - they look and feel very premium) to the boomy sound.
I tried viper4android on my note 3 and the songs sound AMAZING! I love the phone so much that I can't switch to my iPad because it sounds so dull and empty. It's really a shame iOS doesn't have such software, it might be a deal breaker for me because I was considering the iPhone 6s in the future. I guess I'll stick with the note line and maybe aim for the 5.

I have a question: do tips with narrower holes improve the bass? I find the foam tips to be the most comfortable but the silicon ones with blue color isolate just as well and I think they sound bassyer. The foam tips have a much wider hole.
Is that true or it's just placebo?

Jan 19, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #3,653 of 12,595
I have a question: do tips with narrower holes improve the bass? I find the foam tips to be the most comfortable but the silicon ones with blue color isolate just as well and I think they sound bassyer. The foam tips have a much wider hole.
Is that true or it's just placebo?

I've noticed that sometimes too when playing with tips on certain iems... I did read once that the longer waveform passes narrow passages with less resistance than higher frequencies, but i'm not sure it was about audio, so idk. Could also be you aren't getting as good a seal with the foams.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #3,654 of 12,595
I've noticed that sometimes too when playing with tips on certain iems... I did read once that the longer waveform passes narrow passages with less resistance than higher frequencies, but i'm not sure it was about audio, so idk. Could also be you aren't getting as good a seal with the foams.

Nope, the foam tips definitely decrease the bass, I've tested many times and it's not placebo.
English is not my main language so I'm gonna try to explain as good as I can. Put it like this: imagine you have a pipe in which water is running. If the pipe is wide, water has enough space and it will flow gently. But if the pipe is narrow, the water will burst, coming out with big force.
It's the same thing with bass. Bass is air, if the tips are narrow and the air doesn't have enough space to come out easily, it will burst out with power.
If you have some iems with multiple tip sets, try some bassy music and try the narrowest tips you have. It will definitely sound more bassy.
Unfortunately the foam tips have a wide opening, including the comply foams that everybody is talking about.

For the ad01 owners: try the the colorful silicone tips. The ones with blue, green or orange. They are they same, just different sizes: blue is large, green is medium and orange is small. I use the blue ones and bass boosted songs from YouTube simply explode.

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #3,655 of 12,595
Well I ended up just getting the Arrow 5TX.

I didn't get a extended bass one cause I was impatient, but the normal bass boost still sounds great. i just really want to hear that extra bass!!!!

Robert told me over email I can send it back to him and he'll change it to be an extended bass 5TX, but I might just try and sell the one I got and put a new one on order from him to support his business.

It's a really **** nice amp and while I don't think the DAC built in is blow-your-mind good, it's really pleasant, and I'm really glad it's there.

Too bad line out via usb doesn't work right on my Blackberry phone, but whatever. I forgot my Fiio X1 today, so I hooked it up to my work PC (Ubuntu Linux), installed Audacious and I'm having a great time listening thru it. super happy to have the switchable PC/mobile mode on the DAC here.

Been switching between my XB90EX and the monks. The bass boost with the XB90EX on the normal bass version kicks butt and being able to select between low/mid/hi bass frequencies to boost is indispensable. I just really really want to hear what the extended bass version can do if this is the normal bass one!

The Mojo is still something I hope to get sooner rather than later but this is a really nice sounding amp. IF the Mojo can hold its own against the bass enhanced version of the 5TX, i might have to skip right to that, but it has to be a lot better than the 5TX for that extra money, this is a damn good amp!!!

Jan 19, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #3,656 of 12,595
Great to hear you describe your 5TX.

I have one ordered (enhanced bass version) and am waiting for it to ship. I heard Robert is working on getting them out soon. I can only hope it is soon. I bought the Fiio E12A to hold me over til it gets here. 

I have a pair of 2.5's in the mail, should land today. Once the 5TX gets here I will have my bass head setup. 

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,658 of 12,595
Back home with my XB90EX. I'm using the 5TX directly out of my laptop with foobar.

I kept my foobar EQ on. Without the software EQ i was already using, it gave nice bass on my XB90EX with bass on low or medium band and maximum gain, but I still wanted more bass. I know these headphones are capable of pushing more bass.

That said, the software + amp bass boost is glorious.

Basshead approved, but knowing an extended bass version exists and I don't have it... well more bass is the only thing I could ask for here. So I think I am going to order myself an extended bass 5TX and just hold onto this until the extended bass one gets here :D

The MDR-7550 though... that is a MONSTER with the software and hardware EQ combo! like seriously, you either hear the bass or the rest of the song! i love it!

Jan 19, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3,659 of 12,595
interesting that arrow 5tx...doing some research on it now.
deciding between chord mojo, geekout v2+ or perhaps this for a versatile /portable option.

Quote:
  Back home with my XB90EX. I'm using the 5TX directly out of my laptop with foobar.

I kept my foobar EQ on. Without the software EQ i was already using, it gave nice bass on my XB90EX with bass on low or medium band and maximum gain, but I still wanted more bass. I know these headphones are capable of pushing more bass.

That said, the software + amp bass boost is glorious.

Basshead approved, but knowing an extended bass version exists and I don't have it... well more bass is the only thing I could ask for here. So I think I am going to order myself an extended bass 5TX and just hold onto this until the extended bass one gets here :D

The MDR-7550 though... that is a MONSTER with the software and hardware EQ combo! like seriously, you either hear the bass or the rest of the song! i love it!

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,660 of 12,595

I actually bought the 5TX because i've been curious about it for a long time and it wasn't as much as the Mojo, so I could see if I wanted to actually spend that much money on gear for my IEMs.

the answer once I got the 5TX was a resounding "yes".

The Mojo is next on my list, but i'm very very very glad I have this. I'm dying to know what the extended bass version is like. Driving it with my E-MU 0404 and using my ReaEQ bass boost settings are incredible. I might actually prefer it to my Project Polaris with certain phones!

just keep in mind unless you find a used 5TX for sale you have to wait a while for it to be built, the other ones are ready to buy and ship

Users who are viewing this thread

Back