Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Oct 5, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,056 of 12,592

The AD01 seems like it comes with a lot of stuff for under $100.  Detachable/upgradeable cable, dual drivers, Comply tips, etc.  They probably want to hook people with the low price to get a foothold in the game.  I'm cool with it 
tongue.gif

Lend Me Ur Ears did a very nice job with their first foray into IEM. The sales rep is solid too.

My AD01 should be arriving (hopefully) before Friday. Can't wait to use them. Dipping my feet in the basshead realm for the first time

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #2,057 of 12,592
yes on the amp but not currently, maybe in the future.  my current source is an HTC One M7.  I've been looking for a good usb-otg android dac/amp, which I believe fiio has one.  But I am not 100% sure my M7 supports audio via usb-otg.  I've read somewhere that M8 does (or did I read M9).  My M7 is on its last leg and will probably need to be replaced by 2016.  So I'm hoping to grab a new phone first, then a good usb-otg dac/amp next.

eq, sometimes.  I usually listen to flacs using poweramp app which has an eq.  But sometimes at work I get bored/lazy and just fire up pandora/spotify, so no amp for those.

for those just tuning in, so you guys don't have to dig through pages, my original question was asking for suggestions for a $150-$200 bassy IEMs.  I currently have FA Eternas

sooo, I've been reading the last couple pages and there's some good reviews on the kicker, which is around the high end of my budget but definitely doable if it's worth it.  interesting... if it turned out to be very nice I'd probably grab one

I have a m8.on kitkat usb dacs only worked with USB Audio application and I couldn't modify volume with volume boutons on the phone. On lollipop they brought full support so try to look on xda developers forum it may be supported as well with m7

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #2,058 of 12,592
@jmills8 i think i ask my question again, not sure if youve read it, did you buy pioneer se cx8 cause its sounds better than aurisonicks kicker or cause its cheaper?
The Kicker is a lot better. I got it for the vibrating bass fun factor even though the bass doesnt hit low.

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,061 of 12,592

Quick thoughts on the Alpha & Delta AD01:

+ Nice packaging and a good amount of accessories
+ Easy to power from the LG G4 but sounds even better with the JDS Labs C5D
+ Sound is somewhat V-shaped but the treble isn't harsh or sibilant
+ Sound clarity is very good, sound stage is good
+ Bass is great and doesn't require EQ

~ The earphones are a nice metal enclosure but are pretty unassuming looking
~ Isolation isn't great, but not bad

- The cable is decent but has some cable memory to it; hopefully it will straighten out over time (LMUE offers a cable upgrade on their website)
- The bass starts to distort slightly at very high volume
- The bass boost on the C5D on bass-heavy songs is guaranteed to distort

Quick thoughts on the Sony MDR-XB90EX:

+ Decent packaging and a good amount of accessories
+ Sound is somewhat dark but not muddied
+ Sound clarity is good, sound stage is decent
+ Bass is REALLY good even without EQ or bass boost
+ The bass does not distort at higher volumes

~ The LG G4 powers them to moderate volumes while the JDS Labs C5D lets them loose

- The enclosure is plastic and bizarrely shaped, and more of the housing sticks out than goes in your ear (because of the driver size)
- The cable is flat and plastic-feeling, and tends to turn into a tangled mess
- The bass boost on the C5D on bass-heavy songs distorts when using the max boost; this isn't a problem since there is enough bass for me without it
- The right earphone has driver flex - I will be exchanging these, maybe returning

Oct 5, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #2,062 of 12,592
I actually do like the stock tips, but yeah, spinfits are great in the asg 2.5. I feel like they add more treble quantity and soundstage. (Maybe due to the longer barrel of the spinfits?)

Same here, first thing i noticed was a cleaner sound and improved soundstage. Cant wait to hear what these babies can do with DHC Silver Comp4 cable and V2+ Infinity! xD

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,063 of 12,592

- The cable is decent but has some cable memory to it; hopefully it will straighten out over time (LMUE offers a cable upgrade on their website)

~ The LG G4 powers them to moderate volumes while the JDS Labs C5D lets them loose

- The enclosure is plastic and bizarrely shaped, and more of the housing sticks out than goes in your ear (because of the driver size)
- The bass boost on the C5D on bass-heavy songs distorts when using the max boost; this isn't a problem since there is enough bass for me without it
- The right earphone has driver flex - I will be exchanging these, maybe returning

Throw those white foam tips on the AD as they got a 30mW max input so amping is a delicate procedure. The bass un eq'd is perfect for rap or Pink Floyd. I'm a fanboy but they play whatevers. Highs are rolled but sound smooth because of it. I'm a fanboy though so ingnore me mostly...i like getting my moneys worth and when i think i did i get hooked more.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #2,064 of 12,592

- [COLOR=FF0000]The right earphone has driver flex[/COLOR] - I will be exchanging these, maybe returning
The 90ex needs 100 hrs of burn in.

Oct 5, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #2,066 of 12,592
Burn-in won't fix driver flex and isn't likely to fix distortion. I never had my XB90EX distort at any reasonable volume. Could've found a dud.

It's possible. Either way, I know that driver flex isn't going to get better over time, so I'm at least exchanging them.

Edit: I say "at least" because the AD01 sound amazing right out of the gate.

Oct 5, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #2,067 of 12,592
It's possible. Either way, I know that driver flex isn't going to get better over time, so I'm at least exchanging them.

Edit: I say "at least" because the AD01 sound amazing right out of the gate.

The XB must be duds. I was absolutely mesmerized by em last night with the ifi but tha AD01 are the real deal right off the phone. They tuned it perfect. I am very impressed with the AD01 general sound. No eq needed from me and I listen to more Bob Marley than since I was in Hawaii so they make me belly full but still I'm hungry mun....ya mun!!

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #2,069 of 12,592
For sale new Pioneer 8.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back