Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 27, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #1,366 of 12,597
Thank you very much for all those suggestions - a lot to look into. :) Ad budget: As I said, price tag doesn't really matter since I view it as an investment - I just want that one IEM that gives me the most goosebumps and the biggest possible smile whenever I listen to it. :) 

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #1,369 of 12,597
I just want that one IEM that gives me the most goosebumps and the biggest possible smile whenever I listen to it. :) 

like this? at 12s

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/J5M6mzk73fk[/VIDEO]

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #1,370 of 12,597
Than I would go for the SD 4,

Just to set expectations if anyone goes this route:

I have heard many earphones. Dozens of the top bass offerings all the way to about $1200.

In zero cases have IEMs with only Balanced Armature receivers hit as physically hard as top tier Dynamic or Hybrid earphones.

Some, like the Noble 5, outdo mid-tier Dynamic bass impact and have excellent sub-bass depth.

If, however, you want the visceral sensation of bass pounding on your chest, you absolutely need a Dynamic driver somewhere in there. The bigger--usually--the better.

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,371 of 12,597
like this? at 12s

Haha, yeah, pretty much! :D 

I've read a lot of different reviews, tests and technical background now and like Luckbad said, it seems that an all-BA-IEM won't really cut it for me, no matter how much money I throw at it. So, I'll probably have to go down the Dynamic route...

Today I got the opportunity to give the IE80 another shot and surprisingly, I managed to achieve a tight (although not really comfortable) seal. Seems like they sound really good with the bass-knob pushed upwards, as far as I can tell after about an hour of listening. The bass hits hard and the soundstage is impressive. Could be a decent choice, after all, even if I probably won't be able to wear them for an extensive period or while sleeping since they stick out of my ears quite a bit. 

But the other options you brought up here seem quite attractive too - especially the ASG 2.5, since the combination of that massive Dyn and the two tweeters sound like they could deliver some serious action and hit the sweet spot for me. The XBA-H3 would be available, too, but honestly I can't see myself wearing that... massive thing.

So it'll probably come down to IE80 (sweet sound, not that much comfort) vs. ASG 2.5 (twice as expensive, rather unknown). If they're worth double the money of the IE, the ASG could be the way to go for me, but it's hard to tell since there are really few infos about them around. 

If the worst comes to the worst, I'm gonna have to order both and return one of them after testing them toe-to-toe. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #1,372 of 12,597

I've read a lot of different reviews, tests and technical background now and like Luckbad said, it seems that an all-BA-IEM won't really cut it for me, no matter how much money I throw at it. So, I'll probably have to go down the Dynamic route...

Today I got the opportunity to give the IE80 another shot and surprisingly, I managed to achieve a tight (although not really comfortable) seal. Seems like they sound really good with the bass-knob pushed upwards, as far as I can tell after about an hour of listening. The bass hits hard and the soundstage is impressive. Could be a decent choice, after all, even if I probably won't be able to wear them for an extensive period or while sleeping since they stick out of my ears quite a bit. 

But the other options you brought up here seem quite attractive too - especially the ASG 2.5, since the combination of that massive Dyn and the two tweeters sound like they could deliver some serious action and hit the sweet spot for me. The XBA-H3 would be available, too, but honestly I can't see myself wearing that... massive thing.

So it'll probably come down to IE80 (sweet sound, not that much comfort) vs. ASG 2.5 (twice as expensive, rather unknown). If they're worth double the money of the IE, the ASG could be the way to go for me, but it's hard to tell since there are really few infos about them around. 

If the worst comes to the worst, I'm gonna have to order both and return one of them after testing them toe-to-toe. 

The Aurisonic's 2.5 are an amazing set. They can blow air on your eardrum as good as about anything and then go toe to toe with any audiophile set at any price range. The multiple BA, no DD IEM are going for a more "audiophile" delivery that is flat by definition. It is not supposed to color the original master in anyway. The further away from flat the further the way they are from being audiophile.

I think when folks put $1200+ IEM in their ear they think their ears are about to have good sex or something....it doesn't really work that way.

I have seen the 2.5 compared to about everything and nobody is laughing. It's a legit badass set f IEM. Mozart or Method Man.....how about both back to back?  Lotta stuff is priced in the "stupid" range. The 2.5 are not.

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,373 of 12,597

I[COLOR=000000]f[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]the[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]worst[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]comes[/COLOR] to [COLOR=000000]the[/COLOR] [COLOR=000000]worst[/COLOR], I'm gonna have to order both and return one of them after testing them toe-to-toe. 
The IE80 is hard to beat in it's price range, I have no issues with comfort or fit, but of course you can't compare to Aurisonic or Stagediver. If however the IE80 is out of your ear than you did something wrong, or maybe you did use Comply tips?

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,374 of 12,597
The IE80 is hard to beat in it's price range, I have no issues with comfort or fit, but of course you can't compare to Aurisonic or Stagediver. If however the IE80 is out of your ear than you did something wrong, or maybe you did use Comply tips?

The IE80 would not seal for me with any of the stock tips. I had to go the route of Comply/Monster SuperTips/Sony Hybrid to even get a seal with them. There's something weird about the fit of them for some people (like me), but I was able to get a good seal with other tips.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #1,375 of 12,597
The IE80 would not seal for me with any of the stock tips. I had to go the route of Comply/Monster SuperTips/Sony Hybrid to even get a seal with them. There's something weird about the fit of them for some people (like me), but I was able to get a good seal with other tips.
I use Comply on all my IEM's, but the included hybrid tips did work best for me. The best fit and sound

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,376 of 12,597
Thank you for your suggestions - unfortunately, the Aurisonics are rather hard to get here in Europe. :/ I've considered buying the Sennheiser IE80, but even with Comply Foams, they don't give me a comfortable and/or good fit. And the not-exchangeable cable on the IE800 is an absolute no-go at that price point. What a pity... 
Did you try the IE800? I did very good but the SD 4 was more engaging, not to mention fit and cable, the Aurisonics in black are cheaper or better less expensive in Europe than the IE800 and SD4.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,377 of 12,597
IE80s are great except the bass. The bass is way to focussed on the high-bass/low -mid section masking both the sub-bass and the mids.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #1,378 of 12,597
  IE80s are great except the bass. The bass is way to focussed on the high-bass/low -mid section masking both the sub-bass and the mids.

^this

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #1,380 of 12,597
Thanks for the info guys. So I guess xb90ex is the alternative to the pioneer at an almost similar price point.

But I will be using it directly through my phones, a note 4 and a iPhone 5s. Sometimes maybe directly through my laptop.

Do we really need an amp for this iem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back