Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #1,396 of 12,597
Can I get a few amp suggestions under $100 for my xb90? Currently using a Topping nx2 with my s6 phone. The nx2 doesn't sound any better or have more bass response than my phone by itself.

The nx2 was a terrible purchase. The charging port doesn't work, volume goes up and down by itself, and it crackles when you touch the volume dial.

If you must stay under $100, the Fiio E10k is decent for non-portable use--pretty much no hiss and the bass boost isn't terrible (but pushes upper bass more than I prefer). The Fiio E11k is okay for portable.

If you can save a bit more, the Cayin C5 is great, especially for portable use, but it also works for desktop. The one weakness it has as a desktop amp is that you can't leave it charging while in use on the desktop (Cayin says not to because of heat and audio distortion).

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #1,397 of 12,597
moded xb90 removed foam from them and put earplug pieces and bass on certain tracks really does rattle your head. enjoy the video

Sony MDR XB90EX bass example mod 2
https://youtu.be/c_Nw4F-Z4RE

So you pulled out the foam from the Sony's bore and stuffed some aftermarket foam from some earplugs in there? Does it just let you raise the volume further or something?

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #1,398 of 12,597
Those are the standard lengths afaik, it will be tough to find something longer except through the custom makers which will be much more expensive- I think BTG has the best prices of those I listed, though you will have to write in your request to see if it is possible and get a quote since it is nonstandard.

Like luckbad says probably the best option is just to get an extension cable, or if you need a really long cable a desktop soundcard interface or amp or dac/amp you can keep closer to your spot might be cheaper than some of the custom cables.

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #1,399 of 12,597
If you must stay under $100, the Fiio E10k is decent for non-portable use--pretty much no hiss and the bass boost isn't terrible (but pushes upper bass more than I prefer). The Fiio E11k is okay for portable.

If you can save a bit more, the Cayin C5 is great, especially for portable use, but it also works for desktop. The one weakness it has as a desktop amp is that you can't leave it charging while in use on the desktop (Cayin says not to because of heat and audio distortion).
Thanks I'll check those 2 out. I'm currently using the Wooduo2 without an amp and they pound. I'm hoping the xb90 with one of those amps you mentioned will hit harder.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #1,402 of 12,597
If you must stay under $100, the Fiio E10k is decent for non-portable use--pretty much no hiss and the bass boost isn't terrible (but pushes upper bass more than I prefer).

i had fiio e10k dac, the bass switch on it is bs, it is only one bass and its very small pump and it does lean way too much in high bass. for bass boost its bs, the amount of bass on it isnt much.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,403 of 12,597
Can I get a few amp suggestions under $100 for my xb90? Currently using a Topping nx2 with my s6 phone. The nx2 doesn't sound any better or have more bass response than my phone by itself.

The nx2 was a terrible purchase. The charging port doesn't work, volume goes up and down by itself, and it crackles when you touch the volume dial.

glad i didnt buy it

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #1,404 of 12,597
I bought an amp with bass boost, waiting for it in post. i feel all this bass iem is a bit of a bs really.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,405 of 12,597
So you pulled out the foam from the Sony's bore and stuffed some aftermarket foam from some earplugs in there? Does it just let you raise the volume further or something?

the logic here is the louder you go the more is the bass but it screams, so i put a piece of earplugs and it lowers volume and bass is the hardest to block, so the bass passes through.
still not enough had to use eq. cheers

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #1,406 of 12,597
I bought an amp with bass boost, waiting for it in post. i feel all this bass iem is a bit of a bs really.

Then you're probably in the wrong thread...

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,408 of 12,597
sorry, didnt want to upset anyone

Not upset, just wasn't exactly sure what you were trying to say, but I think I got it from the deleted part.

I basically think you'll have difficulty getting the bass you want out of any iem that isn't amped. I've spent a ton of time trying to find the bassiest IEM that doesn't need an amp and at this point I've basically given up and gone for overall sound signature for listening without an amp. Currently I like the jvc fx1100. I would also try the fxz200.

Jul 30, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,410 of 12,597
I figured what the problem was, i put different tips and put two flange from vsonic vsd3s which i didnt like on vsd3s but on xb90ex cause it is differently shaped i get a seal with them. so ye the problem was i didnt get a seal with any of sony tips with them. weird cause i thought i did. now im getting bass on xb90ex without eq. jeez that was weird. cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back