Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jul 30, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #1,411 of 12,597
I feel so silly rn, it has a massive bass when you get a seal. but its surprisinly hard to get a seal on them, some random tips from vsd3s. that shows that you should always keep tips may be they will work on some iem. seal also improves everything in music not only bass. quite bassy iem this xb90ex, i take my words back. but you gotta get a seal on them. cheers

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,413 of 12,597
@Hawaiibadboy Take note...

I have a Vorzuge VorzAMP duo on hand to review. It is a portable amp that can drive IEMs and higher impedance cans (though I don't know how high--I haven't tested it on my Sennheiser HD650s yet). It also costs over $500 and is smaller than a deck of cards.

It has a Bass switch and a Treble swich.

I flicked the switched and was immediately impressed. I wasn't planning on doing any measurements yet, especially because I only have the Rhapsodio RD3 (not yet burned in) to measure with, but I had to see what that switch just did because the skull rocking had started.

It added a 15dB mountain of bass starting at 20Hz that slopes downward to ~2dB at 200Hz. Holy crap. Compare that to the Cayin C5's 5dB and your mind could break.

Measurements? Yep.

Measured with an AudioQuest Dragonfly > VorzAMP duo.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,414 of 12,597
  @Hawaiibadboy Take note...

I have a Vorzuge VorzAMP duo on hand to review. It is a portable amp that can drive IEMs and higher impedance cans (though I don't know how high--I haven't tested it on my Sennheiser HD650s yet). It also costs over $500 and is smaller than a deck of cards.

It has a Bass switch and a Treble swich.

I flicked the switched and was immediately impressed. I wasn't planning on doing any measurements yet, especially because I only have the Rhapsodio RD3 (not yet burned in) to measure with, but I had to see what that switch just did because the skull rocking had started.

It added a 15dB mountain of bass starting at 20Hz that slopes downward to ~2dB at 200Hz. Holy crap. Compare that to the Cayin C5's 5dB and your mind could break.

Measurements? Yep.

Measured with an AudioQuest Dragonfly > VorzAMP duo.

Looks good and I had that Vorz amp and I think the Arrow 5N bass hits a bit harder and its half the Vorz size plus on the Arrow one can push the bass only in sub bass region or mid bass region plus the bass and treble boost are both 2 stages.

Jul 31, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,415 of 12,597

Looks good and I had that Vorz amp and I think the Arrow 5N bass hits a bit harder and its half the Vorz size plus on the Arrow one can push the bass only in sub bass region or mid bass region plus the bass and treble boost are both 2 stages.

Never heard of that one before. Maybe I can get one to try out at the same time.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #1,417 of 12,597
It should be noted that the Vorzuge VorzAMP Duo has fairly aggressive gain (and no switch). For extended listening, I actually can't go with 100% volume from the Dragonfly to the VorzAMP Duo. I have to drop it to ~75%, which isn't ideal. As with most analog amps, there is channel imbalance if the volume is too low on the amp.

With my Sennheiser HD650s, I only go to about 1/4 turn on the volume knob for normal listening. So yeah, this can power some big cans rather easily.

In any case, I'm certain that my 16 Ohm IEMs are going to need less than 100% volume at the source else they'll be way too loud, which is unfortunate.

Update: My ODAC revB is quieter than the Dragonfly at 100% volume (although people recommend 99% for it) and I can push that to the VorzAMP Duo on my Fostex TH600 at a reasonable volume with no channel imbalance. Trying with the Sony MDR-XB90EX... It's close. Borderline too loud to listen to for an extended period without any channel imbalance at 100% volume from the ODAC. At 75% on the ODAC I could listen all day without issue.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #1,418 of 12,597
Another fellow basshead here. My old FutureSonics Atrio M5s kicked the can, so it's time for some new IEMs.  I really enjoyed the overall sound quality and fit of the M5s (once I replaced the tips with some foam ones). This time I want something with an inline microphone, since I use "OK Google" commands on my SGS4 a fair bit. Plus they're handy for phone calls on the run (I often use them in the gym). Although I look after my earphones, they do get stuffed in my pocket when I'm travelling so I want something that will last as well.

I've narrowed down my choice to these:

1. JVC HA-FX3X. Decently priced, but worried that the overall sound and build quality might be a little lacklustre?
2. Pioneer SE-CX8 or Pioneer SE-CX9s. These seem like my pick at the moment, just a little pricey and hard to get here in Australia.
3. NHT SuperBuds. Afraid these will be a bit fragile. Also not sure how I'd get these to Australia.
4. Xioami Piston 2's - heard these have decent bass and are well priced, but again questionable quality?

I spent $200 on my M5s and I thought that was quite a lot at the time, so hoping to keep under that budget. If anyone can think of a better choice or help me narrow down my choice, I'm all ears.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,419 of 12,597
Another fellow basshead here. My old FutureSonics Atrio M5s kicked the can, so it's time for some new IEMs.  I really enjoyed the overall sound quality and fit of the M5s (once I replaced the tips with some foam ones). This time I want something with an inline microphone, since I use "OK Google" commands on my SGS4 a fair bit. Plus they're handy for phone calls on the run (I often use them in the gym). Although I look after my earphones, they do get stuffed in my pocket when I'm travelling so I want something that will last as well.

1. JVC HA-FX3X. Decently priced, but worried that the overall sound and build quality might be a little lacklustre?
2. Pioneer SE-CX8 or Pioneer SE-CX9s. These seem like my pick at the moment, just a little pricey and hard to get here in Australia.
3. NHT SuperBuds. Afraid these will be a bit fragile. Also not sure how I'd get these to Australia.
4. Xioami Piston 2's - heard these have decent bass and are well priced, but again questionable quality?

I spent $200 on my M5s and I thought that was quite a lot at the time, so hoping to keep under that budget. If anyone can think of a better choice or help me narrow down my choice, I'm all ears.

honestly vsd3s had more bass without anything out of all ive heard.

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,420 of 12,597

FX3X are great, but not sure if they are quite up to basshead levels imo. No min either. You might was to check out the newer FR201 or 301 instead. They are well built (301 more so, 201 feels cheap but with a good cable), so I wouldnt worry about that.

Piston 2.0 are good, but if you enjoy mids they might not do it. Their mids are very recessed.

Haven't tried the other two so can't comment on those.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,421 of 12,597
honestly vsd3s had more bass without anything out of all ive heard.

Need in-line mic.

FX3X are great, but not sure if they are quite up to basshead levels imo. No min either. You might was to check out the newer FR201 or 301 instead. They are well built (301 more so, 201 feels cheap but with a good cable), so I wouldnt worry about that.

Piston 2.0 are good, but if you enjoy mids they might not do it. Their mids are very recessed.

Haven't tried the other two so can't comment on those.

Cool thanks, will look into them. Kinda want something that will handle deep bass. Probably my only gripe about my V-Moda M100's (apart from the fact they make my ears hot
tongue.gif
), is they suffer a little on the ultra low end. I'm also a little worried about fake Xioami's, they seem to be everywhere.

Edit: Whatever tips I get I'll probably want foam tips on them, they seem to work well with my ears. Using the rubber ones on some stockies from a Samsung S2 (ugh) and they make my ears itch.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #1,422 of 12,597
You'll never get that oomph with an all BA iem. Take a look at the aurisonics hybrids instead of the shures.
never say never! It all depends on the enclosure, look at it another way, think how small some subs have gotten with improvements to housings, radiators and so forth...

Yeah, it'll be tough to beat a pair of Cerwin Vega VS15 (kids, ask your parents about those speakers!), but there is the potential to get closer than you'd think!

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #1,423 of 12,597
Maybe his point is Balanced Amature IEMS no matter if the IEM has 24 BA drivers in ones head or 6 or 4 it will not be able to produce the bass that a basshead requires. Dynamic Drivers like a floor standing woofer can pound the bass. For example the 90EX can produce deep and power and clean bass that the Layla cant. The XBA Z5 can pound the bass and equal the soubdstage that non bass BA driven IEMS rave about.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #1,424 of 12,597

I really liked the fx3x, but the highs were too emphasized. I havnt heard the m5, but I am confident the xb90 are better. If you are on a budget, get the carbon basso. They are similar to the Sony in extension with slightly more midbass. Fit and size is better on the carbo as well. Easily the best value on a budget or not.

You really don't need to spend much to get great sound anymore.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #1,425 of 12,597
I really liked the fx3x, but the highs were too emphasized. I havnt heard the m5, but I am confident the xb90 are better. If you are on a budget, get the carbon basso. They are similar to the Sony in extension with slightly more midbass. Fit and size is better on the carbo as well. Easily the best value on a budget or not.

You really don't need to spend much to get great sound anymore.

I was gonna rec the xb90 cuz he said basshead and budget but I didn't see anything about an amp? Personally the xb90ex hammer like a mother with an amp but they do much less without.  They got an odd power max for IEM released in the past couple years and they don't seem to like a phone too much.  For the price and the sound you get it's a great deal but ...anyone slamming these without an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back