Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Nov 28, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #12,121 of 12,597
@skeptical

I just bought this (finally, was choosing from 25 cables) 5 minutes ago for 35 EUR (from another site than the link below, called 'Sounds mate'):
Ali 11/11 sale would save me an extra '1' EURO discount, so ... I did not bother.

Tech:
Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC), purity 99.9999%,
(built-in 4 core, a total of 96 copper wire diameter 0.05mm)
Length: 120cm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967026331.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.84003c00UwoIo0&mp=1

It looks good to me (poisonous snake), super price, has L shaped 3.5mm (def. need it), ear hooks (def. need it with EX800ST), it is good quality 6N and I do not need a 2-pin adapter (no need to spend an extra +35 EUR).

THX for all your input, really appreciated. Will let you know how it sounds, Cheers _\|/_

The new cable (brown cable above) definitely brought low end frequencies up and subbass is more air-pushing with EX800ST, which I prefer.

Overall definitely an upgrade over the silver plated cable I used before (pic. below).

There is a bit loss of detail in the low end, but lowering 32Hz on EQ from +12dB to +6dB fixes it, I only have to raise volume a bit. Another plus is that highs are absolutely not sibilant no more, no matter how bad recording (I am mostly listening 128-320 Kbps MP3s).

Off topic:

I really am a bit disappointed with Aurisonics ASG 2.5 isolation. WIth ports fully open, when I ride skateboard, the sound frequency of 103A (very hard) wheels gets really into the ports and loud (have to raise volume to compensate) compared to riding with EX800ST. When walking, or gaming, ASG 2.5 and EX800ST isolate about the same.

Also, regarding lowest 'air pushing frequencies' ASG 2.5 pushes air, but Sonys push sound AND air.

To a credit of ASG 2.5 mids and highs are absolutely better and more pronounced because of the 2 BAs vs. 800ST.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-04_085535.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-04_085535.png
    276.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #12,122 of 12,597
Just got this for ex800st. Fit is good. It is a little heavy and transfers sound, so I would not walk or run with it. Says it is tinned copper, no telling how pure. But it works and it is 2.5mm like i wanted. Running Hiby R2 > Qudelix5k > 2.5mm.
1606620348095.png

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #12,123 of 12,597
The Z1R bass surpasses the Legend X's in some ways. Whereas it doesn't have the outright quantity of the Legend X or the guttural, down low thump, it's superior in texture and decay IMO.

Amen. The Z1R bass is incredible. The quantity is nothing to scoff at either ( slams and rumbles more than all sets I own ) but the quality here is the shining focal point.

Coming from timid, lean and fast BA bass the difference cannot be overstated... It's slow, in the best was possible, and growling, while still having clear dynamics and texture. With other sets I've heard, that have an equal amount of bass, it often spills into the mids and the low frequencies become a bloomy, opaque mess wherein details/dynamics disappear.

Granted I've only spend a few minutes with the Legend X, but they didn't leave a lasting impression either

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #12,126 of 12,597
Just got this for ex800st. Fit is good. It is a little heavy and transfers sound, so I would not walk or run with it. Says it is tinned copper, no telling how pure. But it works and it is 2.5mm like i wanted. Running Hiby R2 > Qudelix5k > 2.5mm.

It is cool you write this, as many 800ST owners have some feedback re. custom cables available.

Transfers sound ... do you mean static electricity discharges caused by friction (clothes vs. wire)? I ask because I had this experience with a similar looking wire (Tripowin Zonie), but with BA IEMs (KZ AS16). Is this also the case with 800ST dynamic driver ... so sensitive? Thank you in advance for any input.

Both the cables in my recent previous post do not cause static/or any other sound related annoyances.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #12,127 of 12,597
No, no static of any kind. By saying it transfers sound i meant microphonics. Touching or hitting or moving the cable over surfaces transfers the sound right up into your ears. Doesnt bother me much as i dont really move walk around with my IEMs. It is a very tight weave, or the way the plastic insulation is twisted. The least microphonic cables are the ones with very soft wire strands and very loose weaving.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #12,128 of 12,597
No, no static of any kind. By saying it transfers sound i meant microphonics. Touching or hitting or moving the cable over surfaces transfers the sound right up into your ears. Doesnt bother me much as i dont really move walk around with my IEMs. It is a very tight weave, or the way the plastic insulation is twisted. The least microphonic cables are the ones with very soft wire strands and very loose weaving.

Thanx for making it clear, just learned something new.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #12,129 of 12,597

I'm a big fan of shirt clips for this reason.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #12,130 of 12,597
I'm a big fan of shirt clips for this reason.
Yeah, I use shirt clips if wearing a cable straight down, so the weight of the cable, especially with movement, doesn’t pull the IEMs out of my ears. I also sometimes use it to clip to my collar when running the cable down the back of my head.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #12,132 of 12,597
@skeptical

The new cable (brown cable above) definitely brought low end frequencies up and subbass is more air-pushing with EX800ST, which I prefer.

Overall definitely an upgrade over the silver plated cable I used before (pic. below).

There is a bit loss of detail in the low end, but lowering 32Hz on EQ from +12dB to +6dB fixes it, I only have to raise volume a bit. Another plus is that highs are absolutely not sibilant no more, no matter how bad recording (I am mostly listening 128-320 Kbps MP3s).
humour_lesson_plan.jpg

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #12,134 of 12,597
IMG_20201201_224224.jpg

Dec 2, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #12,135 of 12,597
Does anyone know very bass heavy on ear earbuds like the monk not in ear ?
I know there are a few out there that people say are great with bass. But from my experience all of them lack lower end due to poor isolation. Sound leaks out and you lose low end immediately. Ive seen rubber rings you can put on earbuds to increase the isolation around them but not sure how well that works.
Those that i saw people said have good bass were going for 200-300$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back