Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 3, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #10,115 of 12,595
I've been loving my Fostex TH-X00 for a little less than a year now, but they're becoming cumbersome in terms of size. Airplane trips, taking them in and out of the office and using them outdoors is a hassle. I've never used IEMs because I didn't think IEMs had any bass. 

After reading a few reviews on the Campfire Jupiters, I think I'd like to give them a try. The Andromedas caught my interest too, although I've been told they don't have as much bass as the Jupiters.

I typically listen to a wide range of music from Fleetwood Mac to Burial to the new Kid Cudi/Tribe Called Quest, Drum and Bass, etc. and I also like my classical and acoustic from time to time.

My current AMP/DAC is the ifi iDSD Micro, but I'm also entertaining selling it in exchange for something smaller or maybe just upgrading to the newer Black Label. I'll maybe have them hooked up directly to my iPhone about 1% of the time.

Considering Campfire has the Andromedas in B-Stock for only $50 more than the Jupiter CK, would it be better to get the Andromedas or would the Jupiter fit my listening tastes better?

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #10,116 of 12,595
  I've been loving my Fostex TH-X00 for a little less than a year now, but they're becoming cumbersome in terms of size. Airplane trips, taking them in and out of the office and using them outdoors is a hassle. I've never used IEMs because I didn't think IEMs had any bass. 

After reading a few reviews on the Campfire Jupiters, I think I'd like to give them a try. The Andromedas caught my interest too, although I've been told they don't have as much bass as the Jupiters.

I typically listen to a wide range of music from Fleetwood Mac to Burial to the new Kid Cudi/Tribe Called Quest, Drum and Bass, etc. and I also like my classical and acoustic from time to time.

My current AMP/DAC is the ifi iDSD Micro, but I'm also entertaining selling it in exchange for something smaller or maybe just upgrading to the newer Black Label. I'll maybe have them hooked up directly to my iPhone about 1% of the time.

Considering Campfire has the Andromedas in B-Stock for only $50 more than the Jupiter CK, would it be better to get the Andromedas or would the Jupiter fit my listening tastes better?

This is a basshead IEM thread.  Neither the andromeda nor jupiter can be considered basshead IMO.  

If you want bass in an IEM try something like the Sony 7550 or JVC FX850/1100, both of which would cost a lot less than either the jupiter or andromeda.

Jan 3, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10,117 of 12,595
Lol... Andromedas basshead? God no... If that was what was considered basshead I'd be out of the portable audio game for sure. Not that they sound bad, quite the contrary... But nowhere near basshead levels of bass.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #10,118 of 12,595
this is repost from pm4 thread you can now prebuy master which is improved version of pm4 for 60 squid. For me it has nice bass and overall is nice iem. And is perhaps the best bass iem with silver filters and spinfit tips that you get from the company.

Well, another member has kindly messaged me and said to use the code "TRADEUPPROGRAM".
It works for anyone and lets you buy the Master for £60 (not sure about dollars).
I think I read that you can also purchase multiple sets of the Master at the same discount price with this code, so it's pretty much covering all the bases.
Since all these codes can only be applied to the Master, and this one does all the above things, any other codes seem pretty much redundant.

The custom code is just for those who want their Master to be personally breathed upon and polished by Bob himself prior to delivery*

*I may have made the last bit up :tongue_smile:  

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #10,119 of 12,595
  This is a basshead IEM thread.  Neither the andromeda nor jupiter can be considered basshead IMO.  

If you want bass in an IEM try something like the Sony 7550 or JVC FX850/1100, both of which would cost a lot less than either the jupiter or andromeda.

People seem to praise Campfire for their soundstage, clear highs and mids, etc. Would these IEMs compare in that regard? Are there any IEMs that would check nearly every box? Strong bass, good highs and mids?

Also, how would all of these compare to the Fostex TH-X00s?

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #10,120 of 12,595
  People seem to praise Campfire for their soundstage, clear highs and mids, etc. Would these IEMs compare in that regard? Are there any IEMs that would check nearly every box? Strong bass, good highs and mids?

The following would be my picks:

Strong Bass: Sony 7550/Ex800, Sony xb90ex, Sony XBA-Z5, JVC FX1100/850, IE800 
Overall all rounder: Sony Ex1000 IMO

If price isn't an issue for you I'd also look into the Campfire Vega or Lyra II but from what I've read they're not enough of an upgrade over some of what I listed to warrant the price difference.

Jan 4, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #10,121 of 12,595
I think the ex800st comparison favorable the Vegas, as does the ex1000. The ex1000 though, the treble is definitely a bit more splashy.

The bass on the ex800st is definitely harder hitting (modded). I have to do some abing comparisons, but the Sonys are definitely a better buy. I think I prefer the ex800st over Vegas, but Vegas over ex1000. When I get my Vegas back, I will do more comparisons.

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #10,122 of 12,595
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/m7cPS3Omt-A[/VIDEO]

Jan 4, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #10,123 of 12,595

I own and love the Fostex TH-X00, and my IEM's of choice are the Sony MDR-7550's and JVC FX-850's. The 850's are a bit brighter overall compared to the 7550's, but the 7550's beat them out in both soundstage and sub bass. With the vents taped, the 7550's destroy the 850's in the low end. 

If I had to pick and keep only one IEM, it would be the 7550's without question. With the vents taped up and fed lots of power (fellow iDSD user) they are bass monsters. Pull the tape off the vents and the sounstage opens up and they balance out sounding fantastic overall. Best part is even without the tape they still hit nice and low, just not as much impact compared to taped. 

I typically EQ in a bit more treble when I use the 7550. But I don't touch the high end when using the 850's. One other thing to note is the 850's are easier to drive as they are very sensitive. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back