Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 4, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #286 of 12,596
  Looking forward to some more 2.5 impressions- from what I've read they might be just the thing to round out my in-ear pile, subbass with a nice downward sloping FR.

Anyone else heard the Olasonic/Ocharaku Flat4 NAMI? Not remotely basshead, I reckon, and bright enough they make the fx850s seem laid back (lower level boom/rumble), but I'm really enjoying the bass for this type of sound, seems just right, emphasized enough to match the treble/detail emphasis (guess this is what people mean by 'U-shaped').

flat with treble.

May 4, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #288 of 12,596
  I am very disappointed with the 2.0, It did well on certain tracks but fell short on many others and the lack of sub bass was weird knowing it has a big DD. The 2.5 is different? I really hope so!

Not my quote

Here is some comparison with my Fitear 335SR and my Shure 846.
NB: I use the blue filter with shure olive on the 846, the bass port is colsed completely on the 2.5. The comparison was done with a Sony ZX1 as a source. I'm not an english native speaker so excuse my low level english
confused_face.gif

Resolution: those 3 are sensibly in the same league.

Detail retrieval: slightly better on 335SR and 846 because of the upper mids and trebles more emphasized.

bass: the 2.5 and 335SR share some similarities on the bass department. Thay have very full bass. The 2.5 has however more sub bass leading to more punch, and the 335SR have slightly more midbass. The 335SR bass might be a little bit more articulated with more speed. The 2.5 have a more natural sound in the bass department. I feel the bass quantity is time to time too much on the 2.5. The 846 will best those two in my opinion. The balance beetween sub bass and mid bass is perfect, the bass get never overhelmed, the punch and texture are wonderfull and the speed is better than 335SR or 2.5. The bass of the 846 feel so clean.

Mids: the mids presentation is very different on those 3. The 846 has a "in your face" mids presentation, with the upper mids emphasized. It has a very raw texture leading to a very exciting sound. The 2.5 has a very smooth mids, the warmest of the 3, with the best natural feeling of the 3 and the most relax presentation. The upper mids are slightly seted back. Great articulation too. The 335SR is in the warm side too, like the 2.5, they have a very lush presentation. The upper mids are slightly more than the 2.5 and less than the 846. They have the most neutral mids of the 3. The articulation is great too. The mids are top notch on those three IEM.

High: the 846 have the highs with the most energy of the 3. There is still this raw and grainy feeling in the sound with an amazing texture. But they are some kind of darkish highs. The 335SR high are very refined, very smooth with great texture too. The hamonics are very easy to catch and the extension is great for an IEM. Technically maybe the best highs I ever heard from an IEM with a perfect trnasition between the upper mid range and the highs. They are also no fatiguing. There is slightly less quantity in the 2.5. The extension is as great as the 335SR but they feel slightly thiner than the 335SR trebles. Everything is there but seted back a little bit in comparison to the 335SR. They tend to pop up a little bit as the upper mid is seted down. They are also very refined trebles with no fatigue at all.

Soundstage: The 846 has the smallest soundstage of the 3, but there is a great deepness in it, and the presentation is very coherent as a whole. I really love the soundstage of the 846 because of this. The 335SR has a more laidback presentation in the soundstage, it is wider than the 846. The deep is on part. The listener position is slightly higher (the sound comes slighltly from the bottom) when the sounds is right in front of you with the 846. The soundstage is great on the 335SR but between the two I prefer by a small margin the 846 soundstage. But the 2.5 soundstage will beat those two in every aspect. The 2.5 has this insanely huge soundstage for an IEM. It gets closer to an open headphone feeling than the 2 others. There is a lot of more volume and 3D feeling in the 2.5. As the 335SR it is more laidback than the 846.The coherency on the 2.5 soundstage is top notch. It's the best soundstage I've ever experiment in an IEM, period (and I tried a lot of top end IEM).

Conclusion: those are 3 outstanding IEMs. The 846 has this very exciting and engaging sound, with this raw texture pretty unique in an IEM and this "in your face" presentation, and a lot of punch. The 846 has I believe the best bass in an IEM. The 335SR is the most neutral of the 3 (but still in the warm side), it has a very lush and reffined sound. The most articulate sound, with a little emphasis in the mid bass. The trebles are outstanding. The 2.5 (the darkest of the 3) shine with this unmatched natural feeling of the sound and unmatched soundstage. They are a very relax sounding IEM while having a lot of energy in the bass section, the hybrid design do a wonderfull job.
Technically those 3 are to my ears in the same league with different flavors. The 2.5 being far cheaper than the 2 others, it is one of the greatest value high end IEMs around her.

That is a pretty balanced review by a person who owned all of em at the same time. The 335sr are TOTL 1,800 in japan.

The impressions of the 2.5 are like mine sans the comparisons. Amazing stage fantastic bass and smooth treble.

No doubt the best 800 bucks I have spent in personal audio.

May 4, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #289 of 12,596
  flat with treble.

lol, really? I think I must have spent too many years with Etymotic ER6s and have really low expectations for flat bass or something.
confused_face.gif

May 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #292 of 12,596
   Bolded.

I guess it would depend on the user interaction (eq,bass boost ,avg listening lvl) and genre' as well. I like Hip hop but like a bass cut like a kick drum. Raised at 50 and dropped at 250Hz
I lose some vibe but allow for mids to be more present.

The FX850 seemed to be LOVED by quite a few bass lovers so congrats on the purchase
beerchug.gif

Let your ears decide then you tell us.
biggrin.gif

Paralysis by analysis ....it's real and it's bad.

So I got the FX850s and I love them. Thought it wouldn't be a significant upgrade from the 700s but it blows it out of the water. The bass is perfect enough to satisfy a basshead's desires, while not heavy enough to offend a non-basshead. Pretty high level of quality. My go-to songs for testing bass are Beyonce's Partition and Chase & Status' Machine Gun. Best I ever heard those songs' beats sound.

Really happy with the purchase. Worth every penny.

May 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #293 of 12,596
  So I got the FX850s and I love them. Thought it wouldn't be a significant upgrade from the 700s but it blows it out of the water. The bass is perfect enough to satisfy a basshead's desires, while not heavy enough to offend a non-basshead. Pretty high level of quality. My go-to songs for testing bass are Beyonce's Partition and Chase & Status' Machine Gun. Best I ever heard those songs' beats sound.

Really happy with the purchase. Worth every penny.

I am thumping my ears with the bass guitar and kick drum from Fleetwood Mac The Chain right now.

Am happy with my ASG

Congrats to both of us
beerchug.gif

Aaaaaaah yeeeeah!!

May 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #294 of 12,596
Wow that good huh making me contemplate on getting these I can get theses the (asg 2.5) the velvets , the w50s or for 50 dollars more the 846's what do you guys suggests in terms of the overall package huge bass impact and slam comparison with those would help me out alot

May 6, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #295 of 12,596
In fact between those 4 witch one his the hardest really leaning towards the velvets but wondering about the other 3 . I have the fx850 and the 1100s the bass sounds great but was kind of curious if the others especially the velvets, 846s and the asg 2.5 hit harder than those two. Is there anyone with experience with the 1100s and 850s that have the velvets or asg 2.5 help me out

May 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #296 of 12,596
Out of all of the IEMs that I have listened to, my favorites regarding amount and quality of bass (and sounds coherent and utterly resolving in the entire frequency range as well) are:

Under $400: Atomic Floyd SuperDarts Titanium ($399) - hybrid BA and DD (review will be in my profile in the near future).
Over $400: EarWerkz Legend Omega ($1,199) - review is in my signature (currently) and profile.

Honorable mentions:

Shure SE846 + SCS - pure bliss
Angie with bass turned up (quantity)
Roxanne with bass turned up (only quantity)
Sennheiser Momentum ($99 - great for price)

May 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #298 of 12,596
moedawg140-forgot Ref 1 bro!!

The Tralucent Audio Reference 1 embodies too many cons (including fit, 2-pin connectors requiring glue to keep cables "snug", Gavin not responding to my PMs or messages on the Ref. 1 thread) for me to ever recommend anything from Tralucent.

May 6, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #300 of 12,596
@Hawaiibadboy any quick thoughts on the 2.5 compared the sony hybrids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back