HD650 vs HE-400 vs AH-D5000 vs Mad Dogs T50RP REVIEWED!
Oct 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:
I'm waiting for more competition similar to this http://www.abyss-headphones.com/index.shtml

Weird site, i'm guessing they haven't actually put anything into production yet. I hope there is a lot of competition in the future with planar headphones though, the market is VERY slim. Doing so would ultimately drive down the cost of making such things and hopefully allow it to be more mainstream. It just seems silly to me that 99% of headphones are all using dynamic drivers when there are other options out there that the dynamic crowd could explore.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:
So how did the HE-400 sound trough the Xonar Essence ST? I have the same soundcard and i am thinking on getting the HE-400 but i dont want to get an amp

Tried it through there again, almost has as much volume as the asgard (on 600ogm setting) sounds just fine really it's a great combo and has just about enough overhead for heavy EQ. Higher ohm phones results may vary, the 650's worked well through it, but they need better.

EDIT: 1000th post, i've gotten way too into this hobby.

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #34 of 49
Quote:
Tried it through there again, almost has as much volume as the asgard (on 600ogm setting) sounds just fine really it's a great combo and has just about enough overhead for heavy EQ. Higher ohm phones results may vary, the 650's worked well through it, but they need better.

ST is actually best with 80+ Ohm phones as it has 10Ohm output impedance.

I guess the HE-400's don't get any distortion or frequency variances when using a higher ouput impedance amp but for whatever reason I feel that the Asgard works a lot better than the STX.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #36 of 49
So I currently have a Schiit Asgard and Denon D5000's. I am an inch from selling the Denons and buying the HE-400's for their much better detail, clarity, and soundstage (So I've heard :) but I am just wondering, is the Asgard/HE-400 a good match? I don't want to get a new amplifier so this is important to me...

Thank you in Advance! 

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #37 of 49
So I currently have a Schiit Asgard and Denon D5000's. I am an inch from selling the Denons and buying the HE-400's for their much better detail, clarity, and soundstage (So I've heard :) but I am just wondering, is the Asgard/HE-400 a good match? I don't want to get a new amplifier so this is important to me...

Thank you in Advance! 

HE400 FWIR is not that amp dependent so the Asgard should do the job. With my Denons going beyond 11 o'clock would be deafening.

Not sure about HE400 being *much* better than D5000 though. It's a side-grade at best, since the D5000 is among the best closed-back dynamics and HE400 is at the bottom of orthos. They're both good cans though.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #38 of 49
@LinkPro thank you for the reply. So if what I'm imagining based of what I've heard is true, the HE-400 will be a more open sounding, more detailed D5000 with slightly less bass. That is exactly what I want out of a headphone. I feel as though the D5000 sounds... Jumbled. Maybe this is because I came from two different Grados before I got the D5000 which have superior clarity but a slightly lacking bass. I am imagining the HE-400 to be a cross between the two with some of the Grado clarity and some of the amazing bass of the Denons. I don't know if you have the HE-400 and the D5000 but if you do, could you comment on that?

Thank you again,
-Anson

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #39 of 49
I'm not quite sure I agree with that linkpro. I only have D2000's but they have the same driver so aside from better accustics it's pretty similar and the he-400's just trounce the D2000's with their sound stage, presentation and Sound quality and detail The Denon might have more bass but the he-400 has very good bass as well. I will hand it to denon they feel great to wear whereas the he-400's aren't uncomfortable but I always know I have some headphones on my head.. Plus even if they are lower end on the ortho side of things I think the inherent benefits of planar magnetic headphones beats out all but the best of dynamic headphones from what I've heard, I just like how they present the music better. Not that the Denons are bad at all, I just think the he-400's are better and a steal for a good planar magnetic headphone.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #40 of 49
@Bee I do have the D5000 but not HE400. In fact the D5000 is not with me anymore, sold them today :frowning2:

The D5000's detail retrieval is very good considering how much bass they have. I never feel like they lack details at all. And the Grados...I classify most of them as having screeching treble and *fake* details, except the RS1i. Of course, just IMO. I'd never spend money on Grados anyway until they do something about the comfort, or the fact that changing the pads means changing the sound completely.

About the HE400 though, I thought I've read somewhere that they sound similar to the HD650, which is a dark headphone and not known for having outstanding clarity. If that's the case I don't think the HE400 can offer any more clarity than the D5000. More open sounding maybe, but the Denon line are known for sounding like open headphones. If you want a warranted upgrade get the HE500 or a used LCD-2. My friend has the HE500 and likes them a lot.

Dec 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:
@Bee I do have the D5000 but not HE400. In fact the D5000 is not with me anymore, sold them today
frown.gif

The D5000's detail retrieval is very good considering how much bass they have. I never feel like they lack details at all. And the Grados...I classify most of them as having screeching treble and *fake* details, except the RS1i. Of course, just IMO. I'd never spend money on Grados anyway until they do something about the comfort, or the fact that changing the pads means changing the sound completely.
About the HE400 though, I thought I've read somewhere that they sound similar to the HD650, which is a dark headphone and not known for having outstanding clarity. If that's the case I don't think the HE400 can offer any more clarity than the D5000. More open sounding maybe, but the Denon line are known for sounding like open headphones. If you want a warranted upgrade get the HE500 or a used LCD-2. My friend has the HE500 and likes them a lot.

I can say with 100% certainty that my HE400s have much better perceived clarity and air compared to my HE500, though the latter have better transparency. The vast majority of big reviews you can find were written early this year with revision 1 HE400s which sounded absolutely nothing like the current revision 2 sound signature. Rev. 1 HE400s sounded dim, while rev. 2 have a lot of air and spaciousness in its presentation due to a much more elevated upper treble.

Though if you got the dough for HE500s, definitely go for those. Just know that you are misconceived about HE400's clarity, it is a beast in that regard.

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #43 of 49
@jerg, 

Yes, I am aware of the different revisions of the HE-400 and I have contacted customer service about this. They are currently on revision 4, which is actually an improved revision 2. The revision three is the one with the treble problems and revision 1's sounded dark and had a small slew of physical problems. I just didn't realize that the difference in sound from the r1 to the r2+ is a night and day difference (or so you say...)

@LinkPro, 

When did you hear the HE-400 that you are remarking about today? I find this interesting because as I understand it, the revision 1's sound more like the D5000's where as the revision 2's foreword sound a lot more clear. I think... :-/ (And a side note, I've always found the D5000's to be slightly jumbled in their presentation...)

@Scyy
it's pretty similar and the he-400's just trounce the D2000's with their sound stage, presentation and Sound quality and detail

If the HE-400 really is a D5000/2000 with slightly less bass but with a better soundstage, presentation, sq, and detail, it's sold. That right there is what I've always wanted from a headphone and It doesn't really matter if it's closed or not. From what I hear they are both good all-rounders but again, from what I hear, I feel as though I'll prefer the 400's to the 5000's. 

Thank you all of you!

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #44 of 49
@jerg, 

Yes, I am aware of the different revisions of the HE-400 and I have contacted customer service about this. They are currently on revision 4, which is actually an improved revision 2. The revision three is the one with the treble problems and revision 1's sounded dark and had a small slew of physical problems. I just didn't realize that the difference in sound from the r1 to the r2+ is a night and day difference (or so you say...)

@LinkPro, 

When did you hear the HE-400 that you are remarking about today? I find this interesting because as I understand it, the revision 1's sound more like the D5000's where as the revision 2's foreword sound a lot more clear. I think... :-/ (And a side note, I've always found the D5000's to be slightly jumbled in their presentation...)

@Scyy
If the HE-400 really is a D5000/2000 with slightly less bass but with a better soundstage, presentation, sq, and detail, it's sold. That right there is what I've always wanted from a headphone and It doesn't really matter if it's closed or not. From what I hear they are both good all-rounders but again, from what I hear, I feel as though I'll prefer the 400's to the 5000's. 

Thank you all of you!

When I said pretty similar I was more meaning the d2000 and d5000. The he400 while it has some similar characteristics it has enough differences to set it apart and just being a planar means it's going to have a unique sound in comparison.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 49
I use the same Headset you use when I play games with my friends. Do you have any idea how the HE400's compare to the 650's discerning playback of the singers emotions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back