HD650 vs HE-400 vs AH-D5000 vs Mad Dogs T50RP REVIEWED!
Sep 30, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

RushNerd

1000+ Head-Fier

Through my headphone journey this month I ended up with all these cans (The HE-400's are on loan so i'll have to pick up a pair) will be returning most of them, but before I did I thought I would do anyone looking at these cans a service. I didn't have very much time at all to do this video, nor did I want to drag it on with technical details that appeal to few (I had a LOT to talk about, but wanted to keep it brief).
I have at least 20 hours on all cans, least of which being the mad dogs because the 400's COMPLETELY outclass them. I did get a chance to test all the cans through the Essence ST amp as well as using the Asgard as the main.

Also, comparing the HE-400's against the HD650s with intention of keeping just one is the hardest thing I've had to do this year. I might even change my mind if a Schiit Lyr or Bottlehead Crack make them sound as good as I have heard. The 400's give me that level of accuracy and detail I rarely hear at all, along with high treble information making them much more valuable to me (I find it much easier to articulate/separate sounds because of the manner that the 400's present them too which is not as much fun as the 650s, but you hear more).

There is obviously a lot that wasn't covered as well, so if anyone has questions I would be more than happy to abide

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:
I enjoyed the review, great job.  More reviews should be video reviews.

All of the video ones I have seen are first person perspective and the reviewer will drag it out as long as possible, while not even mainly focusing on the sound. I'm not good at this kind of stuff, but getting overly technical doesn't work too well with videos.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 49
Quote:
All of the video ones I have seen are first person perspective and the reviewer will drag it out as long as possible, while not even mainly focusing on the sound. I'm not good at this kind of stuff, but getting overly technical doesn't work too well with videos.

Well I quite enjoyed it and look forward to more. 

It might be nice to also add a more focused review later of the 650s vs the he400s since a lot of ppl seem to compare these two.

Keep up the good work.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 49
Barely any talk about the D5000s! I've only heard the D2000s once at a meet, so was looking forward to more comparisons.

Otherwise, great job. Loved the Porcupine Tree at the end.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 49
Thanks for the video review Rush!

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #11 of 49
Quote:
Barely any talk about the D5000s! I've only heard the D2000s once at a meet, so was looking forward to more comparisons.

Otherwise, great job. Loved the Porcupine Tree at the end.

Well it's harder to compare them with the open ones and i've also gotten pretty used to them so maybe I didn't have as much to say. Both have different kinds of bass, but the 400's bass is so accurate and natural sounding while still being almost as powerful as the denons. I think the fact that it as an open headphone could get so close puts it on top. Also the denons like to hide sounds sometimes, but you wouldn't know it just by listening to them until you try the 400's, wow.

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #12 of 49
It might be a good idea to relabel "T50RP" as "Mad Dogs", as there are other modded variations that sound wildly different, and it would not be fair to generalize all of them in the thread/youtube vid titles.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 49
Quote:
It might be a good idea to relabel "T50RP" as "Mad Dogs", as there are other modded variations that sound wildly different, and it would not be fair to generalize all of them in the thread/youtube vid titles.

Good point, I should have put that next to the t50rp label. I would totally lose everyone if I just called them mad dogs though, but I did realize my error so that's why I put that cap of the MD site on the video.

EDIT: Dan from MadDogs sent me an e-mail about a few sets from the first dogpad batch might need tuning in the mids, so I have have had a pair not at their best there for fair testing. They were still quite good though.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 49
A-B'd the 650's and the 400's again for hours today and bought the 400's, that is not a call I wish on anyone though. Choosing the 650's would have been a much easier simpler choice, but I know what I hear (at least off of this amp).

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #15 of 49
Nice review, Rush. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back