HD600 and AD700 sound signature?
Sep 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I would like to know how much treble energy the HD600 has when compared to the AD700.

Are the sound signatures similiar? I know that the HD600 would have a lot more bass, but what about the treble?

Are the well amped HD600 a *huge* upgrade over the AD700 (in terms of detail, extension, clarity, speed, etc.)

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 28
I found the ad700s to have a much airier and lighter presentation than the hd600s. Both driven by a bottlehead crack and a fubar II as a source. Treble I would say seemed about the same, I didn't find either overly bright or bright at all actually, compared to the MS1. The hd600 is definitely more refined all across the board though.

As a huge upgrade, I'm not sure. If you like the ad700s, then I'd go for a higher end open audio technica. The HD600s are a completely different sound style, warmer, laid back, and bassier. While the ad700s are airy and quick, not that the hd600s are slow, but comparatively they might seem like it.

Sep 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 28
Heya,

HD600 is very similar in the highs as the AD700, but superior every where else. Personally I would call them a big upgrade over the AD700, because I think the AD700 is a crippled headphone and not worth it's price tag. The HD600 on the other hand is worth every penny of it's cost and is an excellent headphone, good neutral response across the board, comfortable. I've had the HD580 (HD600) for over 10 years and it's just a great headphone to dive into if you're looking for something to perform all tasks, all musics. It does it like a champ.

Unless you're absolutely in love with AudioTechnica, I would move on to the HD600 in a heart beat. Alternatively if you do have a real thing of AudioTechnica, then maybe wait for the new series they're pumping out soon.

Alternatively, I think you should really look at the Hifiman HE-300 if you're considering the HD600 at all. Reports are very positive, and it may be the bridge you're looking for with a treble you're more used to, something bright, edged, with some bottom end that delivers. HE-300 could be the next headphone for you.

Very best,

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 28
What would be the ideal amp for the HE-300?

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 28
What would be the ideal amp for the HE-300?

Heya,

Ideal for value, as in, keeping the budget lean and getting all the sound you need, the Fiio E9.
Ideal for technological superiority? Eh, stuff that isn't worth buying for the HE-300.

I'd look at things like:

Fiio E9
Matrix M-Stage
Little Dot MK III
Schiit Asgard or Valhalla

All of which are overkill for the HE-300.

Very best,

Oct 1, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 28
Careful of the E9. It has a 10 ohm output impedance, and the HE-300 has a pretty big variation in its impedance curve. The combination could color the sound. Look for something with lower output impedance to be safe.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 28
I have been reading some reviews, and it seems that people still prefer the HD600.

I will have to look around a little more, but I believe the HD600 is appreciated more.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 28
Have anyone else listened to both of these?

I keep hearing that the HD600 is "laid back". That doesn't sound very lively, like the AD700.

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #9 of 28

Quote:
Have anyone else listened to both of these?

I keep hearing that the HD600 is "laid back". That doesn't sound very lively, like the AD700.

Heya,

Yes.

The HD600 is not laid back. The HD650 is laid back. And again, check out the Hifiman HE-300 if you at all are considering the HD600. They're quite similiar, per reports.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 28

Quote:
Heya,

Yes.

The HD600 is not laid back. The HD650 is laid back. And again, check out the Hifiman HE-300 if you at all are considering the HD600. They're quite similiar, per reports.

Very best,

The HD600 is "laid back" compared to Audio-Technicas, Grados, Beyerdynamic, etc., right?

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
The HD600 is "laid back" compared to Audio-Technicas, Grados, Beyerdynamic, etc., right?

Depends on the model. The ESW9 for example is smooth for example. The Grados, for sure, are bright and forward and will make an HD600 seem a little smoother, or laid back. The Beyers, again, well depends on model. In general the HD600 is called laid back when it's really not, it's the HD650 that sort of carries the "veil" or "dark" label. The HD600 is bright compared to it, relatively. And the HE-300 is even brighter. It's better to narrow down to models, and not just sweeping whole brands into a category of "bright" or "laid back" based on name. Each model is pretty different. The HD598 for example is anything but laid back and it's a Sennheiser.

Very best,

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #12 of 28

Quote:
Depends on the model. The ESW9 for example is smooth for example. The Grados, for sure, are bright and forward and will make an HD600 seem a little smoother, or laid back. The Beyers, again, well depends on model. In general the HD600 is called laid back when it's really not, it's the HD650 that sort of carries the "veil" or "dark" label. The HD600 is bright compared to it, relatively. And the HE-300 is even brighter. It's better to narrow down to models, and not just sweeping whole brands into a category of "bright" or "laid back" based on name. Each model is pretty different. The HD598 for example is anything but laid back and it's a Sennheiser.

Very best,

Oh, I understand now. In regards to the Beyers, what about a DT880 (600 ohm)?

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #14 of 28
I had the AD700, currently have the DT880 and HD600.

Have to agree with most of what Mal's saying - except for the bit about not liking the AD700 (I actually enjoyed mine while I had it) - mind you I really prefer neutral / balanced, whereas I think Mal still loves the bassy side from time to time (he's more of a basshead than I am).

IMO
AD700 = very comfortable, although quite large.  Light, airy, huge sound-stage, the bass that is there is good - but doesn't extend low, and remains pretty much in the background.  Has a tendency to be dry and grainy at times.  Needs a warm amp to make them really enjoyable to me.  Good for positional gaming.  Very good for classical.  Nice with Jazz and female vocals generally.  Not my pick for rock, prog-rock etc.  For anything requiring good bass impact - look elsewhere.

DT880 = well built, supremely comfortable.  Quite well balanced across the lows, highs, mids - with a slight emphasis on the low and high end.  Bass is well defined and quite punchy - also extends pretty well.  Highs are really well detailed, quite sparkly and crisp.  Mids are nice - but because of the slight U shape - on some tracks can lose focus a bit if song is really bassy, or sparkly.  Can be a little dry at times.  Good for critical listening.  Responds well to tubes (brings warmth to the mid range).  Good sound-stage without being too large.  Good all-rounder and does most genres well.

HD600 = nice build (not as sturdy as the DT880 IMO - I feel as though I need to take a little more care of them), very comfortable, quite a bit of clamp at first.  Again - like the DT880 very well balanced - but has more emphasis on the mid-range.  Both bass and treble extend really well and are very well defined.  Mid-range is slightly warmish & there is a sparkle to the highs - but for me that makes them warm and sweet, rather than warm and dark.  They are not a bassy head-phone, but they do bass really well - not muddy at all.  Sound-stage to me seems pretty good - I don't hear a lot of difference in staging between the DT880 and the HD600 - I probably need to spend more time critical listening to form a real opinion.  Clarity is really good - but I do find the DT880 slightly more detailed.  Biggest difference between the DT880 and the HD600 to me is the 'realism' (presence/dynamics?) - it's the only way I can describe it.  Playing Clapton unplugged, or Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live - I'm not just listening to the music - I'm there.  I'm not sure I agree with people saying these are 'laid back'.  To me they're just refined.  If I want to play anything fast and exciting, I'll just use my MS1is anyway.

To me the HD600 is a very different can to the AD700 - and is a huge (absolutely giant) step up.  Needs sufficient amplification though - so take that into account.

For almost everything I listen to HD600 > DT880         > AD700  (and I listen to pretty much every genre except hard metal and dub-step - haven't really been able to get into either)

For classical DT880 > HD600    > AD700

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 28
Biggest difference between the DT880 and the HD600 to me is the 'realism' (presence/dynamics?) - it's the only way I can describe it.  Playing Clapton unplugged, or Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live - I'm not just listening to the music - I'm there.  I'm not sure I agree with people saying these are 'laid back'. 

Terrific reply. Thank you so much for the help!

I just need to know if you are talking about the HD600, or the DT880, when you say "these", in the above quote.

I am thinking about a Bottlehead Crack, or a SS Dynalo as my amp.

Which do you think would pair best which these two headphones?

I understand that the Bottlehead Crack would bring warmth to the mid-range (from the tubes), would it be too much mid-range for the HD600?

Also, how much of a clarity difference is there between the HD600 and DT880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back