hd25-1 impressions thread
May 19, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #1,276 of 3,348
I got my HD251-ii a few days ago, at first I found the dry sound very harsh. I believe the term is "sibilant" (Yes I am extremely new in this world of Head-fi). Although they're not completely burned in OR I am not completely burned in... I've probably have clocked something close to 30-40 hours. However, I am enjoying them a lot compared to when I first got them! They are Great !!

Now, I might be getting a bit hasty but I want to get a bit deeper into this headphone world but I want to get maybe more out of them. Like many of the reviews say it has a much smaller soundstage then open cans. My cousin has a set of Audio Technica M50s and while they also sound quite nice, one feature that I noticed was the seperation(?) was better on those headphones. I'm not sure if that is the right term but it felt like the bass would be in the back and the strings would be in front. - This is all related to soundstage right ? lol

Anywho, like I mentioned before what kind of upgrades can I get to make my headphones more enjoyable? Like im reading so much about recabling, the hd650 cable, vampires and dragons
dt880smile.png
. Like Amps and DACs are still kind of a confusing concept as well.

I currently play music mainly from my Laptop or Sansa clip, I'm a student so these mods, upgrades, new toys cant be too expensive either.

If you wise Head-fiers could let me know whats out there and what kinda changes I would be hearing I would greatly appreciate it !!

May 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #1,277 of 3,348
Don't know where to ask this, but I have a question about the HD-25. Most of my music is encoded in 192-320kbps mp3 and I was wondering if the HD-25 would reveal a lot of flaws. My other choice for a portable is the ESW9, which I know is rather forgiving and I would like to know how forgiving the HD-25 is (and from the topics I've seen, it appears that they reveal a lot of flaws in the recordings).

May 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #1,278 of 3,348
To be honest I think you will not hear any flaws when decoded between 192-320 except the recording is orginial crap hm..not good. I mean :)..

Just my opinion..

May 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #1,280 of 3,348
Eh, mp3s are not that bad as they're made out to be. These headphones will reveal a bad recording but 192kbps and over files are relatively free of artifacting these days.

May 19, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #1,281 of 3,348

Quote:
Anywho, like I mentioned before what kind of upgrades can I get to make my headphones more enjoyable? Like im reading so much about recabling, the hd650 cable, vampires and dragons
dt880smile.png
. Like Amps and DACs are still kind of a confusing concept as well.

I currently play music mainly from my Laptop or Sansa clip, I'm a student so these mods, upgrades, new toys cant be too expensive either.

If you wise Head-fiers could let me know whats out there and what kinda changes I would be hearing I would greatly appreciate it !!

I would highly recommend looking at the FiiO E7.. it's a relatively cheap DAC/AMP that you hook up to your laptop's USB port and it makes a world of difference.
As far as imaging goes.. the HD25's are not bad left to right and depending on the source material, can extend beyond and have a nice center image but from what I've heard (listened), forget about forward/back depth.  Compared to an open air headphone, they're pretty closed but I do enjoy them as much as my HD600's.. just depends on what mood I'm in.

May 20, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #1,282 of 3,348
Well, I found a roomier case for my HD25-1 ii phones.  The Zomo DJ Headphone Case has plenty of room for these cans.  Pictures compared to the Slappa case to follow...

May 25, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,286 of 3,348
May 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #1,288 of 3,348
Nope. They have a very clear treble spike which you either hate or get used to fast. It does make some poorly-recorded music unlistenable, but it's nothing other cans don't have too. But, as you mentionet, when paired with the solid bass they have, it's not that big of a problem. That's the reason many DJs use them for mixing: beats and hi-hats come out really well in these cans, even in very noisy conditions.

May 31, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,290 of 3,348

Quote:
i meant the vocals, which have some strange, extremely shrill peaks.

what kind of music and what quality are you listening to them? this could be an issue with your source recordings, or you just might not like the treble presentation of the HD25. I personally never found them shrill or sibilant at all, even though I'm generally quite sensitive to harsh treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back