hd25-1 impressions thread
May 31, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,291 of 3,348
i would like to repeat that i don't own them it's just something i noticed during several sessions of listening.....

My source at the moment iPod Nano 3G, HipHop, Jazz, Folk, Soul.....Norah Jones, Jack Johnson, Fort Minor, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys
I noticed that especially with Norah Jones, Alicia Keys, Sara Bareilles (female vocalists).

May 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #1,292 of 3,348
A few things about the HD25's.. first, in the store they're probably not broken in.  Any harshness does go away with burn in.
I found that a re-cable, even a cheap one such as using the Senn HD600 cable also smooths things out. That's what I'm using with my HD25's.
Just listening to Norah Jones on my HD25's & comparing it to my HD650's. Definitely more forward and punchy on the HD25's. This is out of my MacMini with Apple lossless files both from a dac/amp. Even on my iPhone4/iPod 4G, I've never found them harsh or 'shrilly' at all (after about 200 hours ob break in) and I'm sensitive to this.
I really find them enjoyable and very listenable.  They're definitely keepers for me.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #1,293 of 3,348
hello guys,
I am in talk with mlantinen and he think he can create wooden cups for the HD25, he has done it for grados and thunderpants before.

Only problem is that he require an HD25 to take it appart and use it as reference. id gladly send him mine but Im not in the US and shipping from here would be a killer, and i can take it appart and take the meassures but it wouldnt be the same, it has to be a perfect fit. there is no stimate in price yet, he has only seen photos of the HD25.

Anyone in the US is willing to be the pioneer? 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #1,294 of 3,348
Anybody else noticed how these cans have become a fashion object??

I remember when i bought mine like 8 years ago, only djs had them(which was the main reason i bought them, to dj). Are the 25-II as good as the 25-1?? They're like 100 euros cheaper now compared to back then...

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #1,295 of 3,348
I made an account just to post in this thread because these headphones are soo fun!

Burned them in with pink noise for about 48 hours and they sound soo clean. I mostly play rock/techno and the bass punch/shake seems a little weaker than my previous HD448, but the mids and highs really seem to shine for me. The mids on mine sound a little forward like my old iGrados :S

Here's some eye-candy:
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/6881/80705528.jpg

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #1,299 of 3,348
Kimimaro, the HD448 have really bad bass compared to the HD25s. I had them and really liked the sweet midrange, but the bass was slow and boomy, with some really bad roll-off and no punch to it at all. Really bad, IMO. Once you get used to the HDs, you'll see what I mean.

Jun 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #1,301 of 3,348
Finally, 25-1.
I'm noticing immediately a mildly wider and deeper soundstage than a burned-in 25SP, brighter treble yet less sibilance?  Less bass as well, quite a bit less and not as controlled, though I'm sure that will improve with burn-in.  It seems to have less impact, whether because of less bass or not, I'm not certain.  Mids sound about the same, perhaps slightly more forward, but not as tight and defined (yet).  Slightly more microdetail?  Not sure, I no longer have 25SP to compare directly.  Build quality feels the same, and 25-1 has a tight clamp grip like y'all said.  I had to bend it a pinch for better comfort.  The headband has much better cushioning, quite appreciated.  =]
Finally, a much shorter cable with L plug instead of a straight plug.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,303 of 3,348
Check 'em.
Now that I remember, I actually bent 25SP's headband slightly for a tighter fit.
Mogami 2534 wire has more effect on 25-1, making it a little smoother, cleaner, and a little more spacious.  Imaging subtly improves.  The same cable had a pretty insignificant impact on 25SP, and those Cardas connectors are a bit loose compared to the little stock connectors.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,304 of 3,348

Quote:
Check 'em.
Now that I remember, I actually bent 25SP's headband slightly for a tighter fit.
Mogami 2534 wire has more effect on 25-1, making it a little smoother, cleaner, and a little more spacious.  Imaging subtly improves.  The same cable had a pretty insignificant impact on 25SP, and those Cardas connectors are a bit loose compared to the little stock connectors.

I ordered a pair, from an ebay seller in england... greatest mistake ever, 3 weeks already and he still says "its probably on its way" 
I even have the cable ready, just waiting for the damn plugs.

Im changing it for aesthetically purposes and to have a shorter one only.

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,305 of 3,348
The Cardas connectors?   Not hard to source in the US, but I would prefer a non-Cardas alternative.  Such connectors would probably come out to $5 a pair or something, much fairer.  The Cardas connectors use some kind of cheap plastic, probably no different from stock plugs.  Just because they are Cardas brand, they are three to five or more times as expensive as some DIY connectors, it seems to me.

If you don't receive the connectors soon, they are probably lost.  Try TR Audio next time.  Nice guy to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back