hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 29, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #1,246 of 3,348
Well, the biggest improvement came from covering that hole in each pad.  I used electrical tape.  I don't know if HD25-1 II has them too, though it does seem that they use the same vinyl earpads.
The dynamat on the back of the driver kills off about 90% of the treble harshness and refines the sound a bit more.  I can post a pic of that later.  It's a somewhat trivial tweak.

I could cover the interior of the cups (just the back) with Akasa Paxmate Plus acoustic foam to kill off all the cup resonances and bring out soundstage details and ambiance to the fullest, but I'm too lazy right now and just want to enjoy music with my new toy.  =p

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #1,247 of 3,348

Quote:
Well, the biggest improvement came from covering that hole in each pad.  I used electrical tape.  I don't know if HD25-1 II has them too, though it does seem that they use the same vinyl earpads.

HD-25-11 has them to, tried tapeing them on my pair just now.
I think I can hear a slight difference,hear some vinyl sound on a track there I did not before,and bas feels better.
could be my imagination :) bu tI like it ;P

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #1,248 of 3,348
I thought those were for letting air out of the pads when you squish them to your ears. If you tape them shut, it would make the pads stiffer, thus changing the sound a bit. I'll give it a try.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,249 of 3,348
If you do not hear a big improvement, then it is possible that the mod may have coincided with on-going burn-in, exaggerating the improvement for me.  =p
Edit: (which is the case, apparently.)

Or the 25-1 isn't as affected as my 25SP.

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #1,250 of 3,348

Quote:
If you do not hear a big improvement, then it is possible that the mod may have coincided with on-going burn-in, exaggerating the improvement for me.  =p
Or the 25-1 isn't as affected as my 25SP.

probably the latter,read on a few places theres something different whit the drivers on the SP model.
I just used clear plastic tape,mabye that makes a diffrence to.

first time modding anything at all :p

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #1,251 of 3,348
Another modification I was going to try was adding a few coats of plasti-dip to that inner side of the earpads to stiffen them up a bit which would improve clarity, definition, soundstage, bass response, detail, and more, but the pads are already stiff and quite smooth, so the plasti-dip will probably not do much for the sound.

May 2, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,252 of 3,348
I covered up three of the openings around the driver, now I'm getting tighter, smoother, slightly less bass.  I'm liking the midrange a pinch better.
Just experimenting.  I know those ports need to be there, but a few can be covered up without killing the sound.

May 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #1,253 of 3,348
I wonder how everybody stores their HD25s?  I ordered the Slappa DJ Headphone case hoping they will work.  The intent is for the larger, foldable DJ phones.  But the dimensions seem to indicate they'll work.  I'll post pics when it arrives...

May 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #1,255 of 3,348

Quote:
I wonder how everybody stores their HD25s?  I ordered the Slappa DJ Headphone case hoping they will work.  The intent is for the larger, foldable DJ phones.  But the dimensions seem to indicate they'll work.  I'll post pics when it arrives...

this one?
e39bea88_ATHM50slappa.JPG

The HD25 doesnt fit there. unless you remove the cups and really really bend the headband. I've tried.

I carry mine around my neck, or just trow in inside my backpack, that plastic thing is really though. it can take a lot of abuse.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 3, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #1,256 of 3,348
Had a strange thing happen tonight - the very tip of the 1/8" plug on our three year-old HD25-1 II came off, and so I lost one channel.  I installed an HD600 cable on them after that, but it's like 8 feet and I need a portable cable.  So, if anyone wants to get rid of their stock HD25-1 II cable please drop me a PM and we'll work something out.  I don't feel like re-terminating the stock cable unless I really have to.

May 3, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #1,257 of 3,348

This guy does headphone mods and sells stuff, including cables, for the HD25.  A bit steep considering shipping from the UK...

http://shop.ebay.com/thpeed/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
Quote:
Had a strange thing happen tonight - the very tip of the 1/8" plug on our three year-old HD25-1 II came off, and so I lost one channel.  I installed an HD600 cable on them after that, but it's like 8 feet and I need a portable cable.  So, if anyone wants to get rid of their stock HD25-1 II cable please drop me a PM and we'll work something out.  I don't feel like re-terminating the stock cable unless I really have to.

May 3, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,258 of 3,348

Quote:
The HD25 doesnt fit there. unless you remove the cups and really really bend the headband. I've tried.

I carry mine around my neck, or just trow in inside my backpack, that plastic thing is really though. it can take a lot of abuse.  
tongue_smile.gif

Bummer, but thanks for letting me know.  Maybe I'll give the UDG headphone bag a go; another inexpensive gamble...

May 3, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #1,259 of 3,348

Quote:
This guy does headphone mods and sells stuff, including cables, for the HD25.  A bit steep considering shipping from the UK...

Thanks, I'm hoping to find a used one cheaper.

May 3, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #1,260 of 3,348
Hey  I saw that this ebay seller has a 1.2m copper wire to replace the hd25 stock one. Checks all my boxes - copper, short and single sided. Can I assume that it's a same wire (replacement) for the HD25-13?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Replacement-Black-HD25-1-1-2m-straight-cable-HD25-mk-ii-/130511889706?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Headphones&hash=item1e631d652a

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back