hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 23, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #1,231 of 3,348

Quote:
I've just started checking out the HD-25's and I was wondering if they can be recabled balanced and run through Ray Samuels' protector amp?

Sure, if you can get your hands on a Sennheiser balanced cable (the HD25 accepts most of the same cables as the HD580/600/650; there's a balanced cable right now in the FS forums for $25). If that doesn't work replacement cables are really cheap - you can reterminate an HD650 cable yourself and it'll only cost you like $12-20 for the cable direct from Sennheiser.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #1,232 of 3,348

Quote:
Quick Question:

I am in love with the HD25-1. (Well infatuated...I've only had them a day!) They're not my "perfect"; a little bassy for me. But they do a lot of things really, really well. So much fun and I am loving them with jazz. Really nice headphones.

So the question: What have you all found is similar in open ear headphones? I just got the HD600, and am enjoying them, but wow the HD25 has shown me that the HD600 are not that much fun. I'm just curious, what do you find to be the ope ear, full-sized, amp driven version of the HD25-1?

Thanks!

Quote:
The trouble is there really aren't that many mid-forward full-size headphones that I can think of. One that I think sounds similar to the HD25 (with less bass) is the AD2000, very fast, detailed, agressive-sounding, and forward warm mids.

I think the AD2000 are noticeably better than HD25-1, and maybe the Alessandro MS-1 would be closer to an open version of the HD25-1.  At least last time I compared them.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #1,233 of 3,348

Quote:

I think the AD2000 are noticeably better than HD25-1, and maybe the Alessandro MS-1 would be closer to an open version of the HD25-1.  At least last time I compared them.

I agree that the AD2000 is significantly better, but I've never really considered Grado headphones to be mid-forward, really - it might be due to the treble peaks and general coloredness. Then again, a lot of people do say the HD25 is a closed version of a Grado, so you're probably right.

Apr 26, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #1,234 of 3,348

Quote:

I so agree with you on the HD25 and MS1 comparisson, Ive been using both latelly, work and home. closed at work and MS1 at home.

If the MS1 had more isolation I'd prefer it over the HD25, comfortwise plus i like the way grados look. as for sound love them both.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #1,235 of 3,348

Quote:
I agree that the AD2000 is significantly better, but I've never really considered Grado headphones to be mid-forward, really - it might be due to the treble peaks and general coloredness. Then again, a lot of people do say the HD25 is a closed version of a Grado, so you're probably right.

Some Grados are mid-forward, like the MS-1 and RS-2 which have a lot in common, the RS-2 being a more refined and rich sounding version of MS-1 (as far as sound goes).  In the end, the RS-2 were too forward for me.

I found the HF-1 to be a little recessed in the mids like a Stax SR-Lambda Pro and they required flat pads to sound right, and RS-1 are more mid-forward than HF-1 but not as mid forward as RS-2 (in the middle).  The HF-2 probably fall in the middle between the RS-1 and RS-2 mids.  I've done less comparisons with the HF-2 than the others, so...

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,236 of 3,348

Quote:

Some Grados are mid-forward, like the MS-1 and RS-2 which have a lot in common, the RS-2 being a more refined and rich sounding version of MS-1 (as far as sound goes).  In the end, the RS-2 were too forward for me.

I found the HF-1 to be a little recessed in the mids like a Stax SR-Lambda Pro and they required flat pads to sound right, and RS-1 are more mid-forward than HF-1 but not as mid forward as RS-2 (in the middle).  The HF-2 probably fall in the middle between the RS-1 and RS-2 mids.  I've done less comparisons with the HF-2 than the others, so...

I've owned the SR60, MS1, RS2, RS1, and the HF2, and I thought all of them except the HF2 had some treble peaks and were just too bright to my ears... the HF2 I consider to be a Grado dark horse in that it is very very dark (relatively) and has lots of bass. It's by far my favorite of the Grados but still has colorations that I don't like, especially in a $400 headphone. I guess relatively the MS1 and the RS2 were both somewhat more mellow compared to the SR60 and RS1. If you use flat or comfy pads on the lower-end Grados they do lose a lot of the brightness, at the expense of treble detail and soundstage.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #1,237 of 3,348

Quote:
I've owned the SR60, MS1, RS2, RS1, and the HF2, and I thought all of them except the HF2 had some treble peaks and were just too bright to my ears... the HF2 I consider to be a Grado dark horse in that it is very very dark (relatively) and has lots of bass. It's by far my favorite of the Grados but still has colorations that I don't like, especially in a $400 headphone. I guess relatively the MS1 and the RS2 were both somewhat more mellow compared to the SR60 and RS1. If you use flat or comfy pads on the lower-end Grados they do lose a lot of the brightness, at the expense of treble detail and soundstage.

Yeah, the HF-2 are my favorite non-vintage Grados right now.  The HF-2 still have some colorations but they're the least offensive of the current offerings.  It's easier to hear after switching from another headphone like the HP-1000.  I agree that some Grados fare better with a change to flats than others.  The HF-1 and RS-1 could get away with flats, but the RS-2 and HF-2 sound congested in the mids and dark in the highs if I try to use flats with them.

As you said, the MS-1 and RS-2 are both somewhat more mellow than the SR-60 and RS-1, but I find the MS-1 are still a worse offender than the RS-2.  My problem was the RS-2 sounded a bit bland to me while stock, although they definitely improved when I had APureSound install a new V3 cable on them.  Same with the RS-1, and the APS V3 cable really cleaned up most of the upper mids/lower treble colorations.  With flats my re-cabled RS-1 was extremely close in sound to a stock HP-1000 (HP-1 and HP-2) in direct comparisons.  I still use a modded full wood-body SR-60 with pure dead soft silver cable every once in a while, and it sounds NOTHING like an SR-60 now, with that awful peak tamed nicely.  So, I do think there is some validity to modding and re-cabling Grados.

But to get back on topic - As for HD25-1 II, I find them to have a similar coloration to the MS-1 (or even SR-60/80) and I think that they would appeal to most any Grado SR-60/80/225 or MS-1 fans.  Interestingly Jude mentioned this lower treble peak in his video review on YouTube recently.

Apr 28, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #1,238 of 3,348
Hello!
Can you help me?
I'd like to order Crumpler Million Dollar Home bag for the Sennheiser HD25-1 II heaphones.
The bag should have enough space for HD25-1 and player, when I'm not using them (while studying or having a walk in the park, etc.) Nothing else, I think...

The problem is I can't find any Crumpler local store in my town. So I can't decide which one should I get.
I think 4 or 5 Million Dollar Home will fit. But I'm not sure...

Should I buy 4 Million Dollar Home, because 5 is too large?
Or Should I buy 5 Million Dollar Home, because 4 is too small?

Thanks for help!

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #1,239 of 3,348
You guys know how to open up HD25-SP II's cups?

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #1,241 of 3,348
I wouldn't know.

I'm also just noticing the threads stating that they do not use the same drivers. FFFFFF-

Also, I noticed these little holes, one in each earpad, on the inner side.  When one pad was turned to where the little hole does not face the white screen around the driver, there was significant improvement in sound.  I covered the holes with electrical tape and there is already big improvement in all aspects of sound.  Da fug?  I've also removed the foam discs covering each driver face, though I may end up throwing those back in later after further burn-in, I imagine.  I kind of want to go in the cups and add Dynamat Xtreme to the back of the drivers.

Badass sound so far, though.  I'm liking these more than I expected.  Dem mids.  =]

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #1,242 of 3,348
http://ratnax.blogspot.com/2011/03/problem-rechte-ohrmuschel-spielt-keinen.html

Maybe this helps..

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #1,243 of 3,348
That worked, thanks!

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,244 of 3,348
Uh-oh, now I don't know if I'll be able to go back to my IEMs for on-the-go sound. 
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #1,245 of 3,348

Quote:
Uh-oh, now I don't know if I'll be able to go back to my IEMs for on-the-go sound. 
tongue.gif

Can you provide pictures of your mod maybe??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back