hd25-1 impressions thread
Apr 15, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,201 of 3,348
Just received my HD25-1 II and after 15 minutes of listening I can safely say I love these headphones! They are slightly on the warm side with fantastic bass punch and are extremely fast imo. Love it.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #1,202 of 3,348
I appreciate any A/B comparisons you do! I saw Jude on his video review using a very expensive set up with the HD25-1, and your Stepdance is no slouch either! I'd love any feedback how these benefit from amping. For anyone else out there, I'm really curious if their potential is maxed about by a cmoy/PA2v2 (or even a ipod classic) or if a more expensive amp does them more justice! No sense sending good amp money after headphones that can't carry them. So any kind of A/B with a cmoy/E7, etc. and a Stepdance/Arrow, etc. would be very interesting off of the HD25-1 ii!

If anyone, finds that kind of thing interesting, of course. :)

Quote:
This is difficult for me even though I ve walked home frome my office right now with the Clip+ and the Stepdance. I ve had the feeling that the bass was better pronounced and I could get higher with the music and the sound was still really good. But I can do an A/B comparison this evening and post here.

I hate doing comparisons because I become unconcentrated really fast. All in all with the Stepdance the music is fuller and not so "pressed" as with the Clip+ only. Even though the Clip+ can go also very loud and the SPL as really sufficient, the Stepdance seems to make it more without great efforts, just as he does it everyday whereas the Clip+ sounds stressed. Concerning the SQ, in my opinion the Stepdance sounds also warmer and smoother all in all. So, as I mentioned, my concentration is over :)

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:20 AM Post #1,203 of 3,348
Back in the office even on saturday :) and the Stepdance is connected to the latest Realtek Onboard SC and the HD25 to the Stepdance and this is even better as connected to my other amp, the Cantate.2 IMO (The Cantate.2 uses the internal DAC). I really like the sound through the Stepdance and the internal SC isnt sooo bad. Compared to the Clip+ now I really have an improvement but without any proof I would say that this is mainly because of the source. To be honest I think that the Stepdance is a really good desktop amp assumed with a good source of course and a good PSU.

The difference when I compare the Stepdance with the Clip+ or only the Clip+ and the HD-25 is really not soo big as if I am using the Stepdance as a "desktop amp". So a logical conclusion for me would be that is isnt worth the money to buy the Stepdance only to use it, as in my case, with the Clip+ for example or the HD-25.

It may be another thing when you have a DAP with Line out and really hard to drive portable headphones.

Apr 16, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #1,204 of 3,348
I just killed my cable :frowning2:
working in the yard an kind of cut it :frowning2:

anywhere to order a cheap,preferebly coiled or at least short (1m?)

been on google for the last 30 min and I cant pay 55$ right now :frowning2:
anything cheaper outthere?

or I could pay about 50-60 $ including shiping.but thats my pain limit..

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #1,205 of 3,348
I have one left..

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #1,206 of 3,348

Quote:
I just killed my cable
frown.gif

working in the yard an kind of cut it
frown.gif

anywhere to order a cheap,preferebly coiled or at least short (1m?)

been on google for the last 30 min and I cant pay 55$ right now
frown.gif

anything cheaper outthere?

or I could pay about 50-60 $ including shiping.but thats my pain limit..

how abour a HD25 SP cable?
I believe the only difference is that two sides are same lenght, instead of one being shorter like the original HD25 II
Sennheiser Cable HD480-II HD560 OVATION HD25SP NEW Cor
34$ and free shipping.

there are a lot of customs at ebay, kinda pricey tho.

I shortened my cable yesterday and put some red nylon sleeve on it, looks nice will post photos later. but it came out a but too stiff

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,207 of 3,348
HD 25-1 II are very true to the source. I mean they just show what is there, it's all so evident in your face, clear like day, emotions, impact, clarity, depth, neutrality. If the source is harsh, dull, dark and flat, or whatever HD 25-1 will sound like that, but if the source is exquisite, balanced HD 25-1 will sound so real you will be feeling right in front of the performer. So happened I gave my headphones to some of my friend audiophiles and they liked it so much they wanted to buy a pair as soon as possible, quite amazed they never heard of these before(thanks to sennheiser marketing I guess) and they just told me what I told you about their true to source character. These, in our opinion, are some one of the almost perfect monitoring headphones and yet so pleasant to listen to, it's a lot of fun.
Those of you who got them just now please brake them in for like 200-300 hours and then you will see what a treasure these are, they will open up and lose the harshness, or tightness in the upper part, you will be able to listen for hours and not want to take them out. HD 650 are not on par imo if you listen mostly to dynamic music and I mean not slow music like classic, or slow jazz. Just listen to a pair of HD 25-1 for some time and then switch to HD 650 and you will see what I am talking about. HD 25-1 to me is realistic sound in your face, so sweet, candy taste like sound, so spot on, while HD 650 is like sitting in a hall catching sound from air, quite boring, distant and thin, not so real true to life sounding. Sorry if I seem a bit unfair towards HD 650, I don't mean any disrespect, they're still the same brand, it's just that HD 25-1 are that good to me, and not only me as it was found out. Love and cherish them, these little pieces of discovery.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,208 of 3,348
I have the strong urge to sell all my other cans and keep only the HD25s.. I've been away from home for two weeks with only my Clip+ and these cans, thinking about the rest of my stuff at home, missing them.. (yes yes, you know you're an audiophile when..). But to my surprise, the HD25s are the best, now that I got home. I'm enjoying a few hours of bliss tonight thru them: perfect PRaT, perfect bass, perfect mids.. I just love these cans so much. Just wanted to appreciate in an appreciation thread.

Apr 21, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,211 of 3,348
The HD-25 SP doesnt have a splittable headband and the technical data differs from the HD-25-1 in terms of the SPL and the impedance (which doesnt really matter..). So, the headband would be the biggest difference and the length of the cable.

Apr 21, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #1,212 of 3,348
And, apparently, the sound differs too. FWIR, at least, the HD25 is better in every way. Get a used pair if you can't afford them new. It won't matter, as long as the earpads are ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back