hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 17, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,172 of 3,348

Quote:
There is also a pair of the regular black ones for $112 Refurb at dakmart but I do not trust them. I have no issue with Refurb but dakmart has not returned my calls or emails. Bad sign. For 177 new I can live with blue. Maybe I will like the look when they get here.

i got a pair for 50$ at best buy, just because they had been in a to-try dj showcase for 2 months (thast what they told me)

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #1,173 of 3,348

Quote:
That is a plus! You don't want flimsy cords for potable use, they just break.

that's not true.

plenty of thin wires have lasted me a long time.

the wire on these headphones are made more for professional abuse (violent tugging, stepping on them, etc.) rather than you're non eventful daily commute.

If I sat down with these at home or work everyday, they'd be fine, but I need to wrap that wire in my pocket everyday when I'm walking then drag it out and repeat the same thing when I need to look at my phone.

Mar 18, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #1,174 of 3,348
I have shortened even the 1.5m cable because of the plug and the length and now everything is fine :) :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,175 of 3,348
Hi all, this is my first post here.
A little background. Back in 2000 when I got into higher end audio, I purchased my first pair of Sennheiser phones in over 20 years.. I think they were the 575.  Anyway, ended up selling these about 3 years ago and then went through AKG & Grado but ended up selling them. Was so sorry that I sold original Senn's.  Anyway, picked up a pair of HD600's and am running them with either a Nuforce uDac2 or Fiio E7 (have an E9 on order).  Still just under 100 hours on them but now I'm back to the sound I love.

Now, on to the HD25's.  I came across these while doing research on the 600's. The problem with the 600's is that I can't be in the same room when my fiancee is watching TV.  So, yesterday, I took the plunge and auditioned the the HD25-1 and HD25-SP. I really wanted to love the SP's but could not even though they wound be a secondary headset so I ended up with the HD25-1's.
I purchased them at lunch time and listened to them all afternoon at work through my iPhone4.  Pretty nice to start with. They somewhat remind me of the Koss Pro 4X I used DJ'ing in the 80's. Those puppies would literally bounce on your ears they were so sensitive. On the train home, I switched back to my Etymotic HF2's (which I dearly love and enjoy daily on my commute) and they definitely sounded lacking after listening to the HD25's for a couple of hours.

I have the Senn HD650 cable on my 600's and the 600 cable was just sitting around so I re-cabled immediately. Don't want to make any judgements right away but they sound deeper and smoother.  I've been running the HD25's continuously to break them in (now have 24 hours on them) and will give them a critical listen in a few days (100+ hours).
I have some ViaBlue mini plugs on order and will shorten the 600 cable when they come in.  Will also try the 650 cable eventually.  I'm looking at some higher end cables for the 600's and will be thrilled to try them on the 25's.  Currently, I'm leaning towards the Moon Black Dragon's.
Also, just purchased a new SP headband from one of the members.. Just want to make them more portable.  I'll have the choice as to which way I want to go. Only had them for a day and have lots of options :)

Anyway, spent hours reading this thread and others.  What a great site and group of people!  

BTW.. I keep seeing the term PRaT - what exactly does this stand for/mean??

Cheers for now. M.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,177 of 3,348
I'd also like to let US people that you can get a pretty good deal on the black ones at agiprodj

Just click email me a better price and wait for a response.

I got one cheap and they mail it fast.  It's even better if you call them.

Authorized dealer, great customer service.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,178 of 3,348
I know lately the whole wire business has been getting on my nerves, So I'd like to give the ESW9s a shot again.

I tried the P5s by B&W and think they sound good ... but not in anyway as good as the HD25s.  The Senns just kick butt, plain and simple.  But the P5s are a beaut.   If I cared for looks, I would've figured out a way to buy it.  But sound, durability, and isolation won out on Sennheisser's end.  I'm not saying it was a smash victory by the Senns, but I felt some important areas just performed better on the HD25s, mainly treble clarity, perfect mids, and fast attacking bass.  I wouldn't call it neutral, more of a fun headphone without being poppy and bass tilted.

But what if Isolation didn't matter?  Maybe then, I should consider the ESW9a?  They're dead sexy and fit the genres I love.  I only got to try them briefly from another person.  It wasn't enough time to sway me away from HD25s.  I think they sounded good (I'm going to be vague), but I didn't think it would hold up on the train or being able to be thrown in my messenger bag when I'm on the move, not to mention if it leaks too much sound, my coworkers might want to have a "talk" with me.  

My point, we should set up a Williamsburg, Brooklyn meet and get all those hipster kids to bring out their record players and Grados, while other people like me bring my laptop, Keces 151 DAC, my Denons, HD25s, and of course, my prized IEMs Phonak 022s (still can't believe only 100 was spent on it).

This could be a meet up of epic proportions.  

It'll be record player vs computer

retro vs the modern age (the D2000 look pretty futuristic, but we need some Audio Technica headphones and the HD800s for sure!)

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #1,179 of 3,348

Quote:
I know lately the whole wire business has been getting on my nerves, So I'd like to give the ESW9s a shot again.

I tried the P5s by B&W and think they sound good ... but not anyway as good as the HD25s.  The Senns just kick butt, plain and simple.  But the P5s are a beaut.   If I cared for looks, I would've figured out a way to buy it.  But sound, durability, and isolation won out on Sennheisser's end.  I'm saying it was a smash victory, but I felt some important areas just performed better on the HD25s, mainly treble clarity, perfect mids, and fast attacking bass.  I wouldn't call it neutral, more of a fun headphone without being poppy and based tilted.

But what if Isolation didn't matter?  Maybe then, I should consider the ESW9a?  They're dead sexy and fit the genres I love.  I only got to try them briefly from another person.  It wasn't enough time to sway me away from HD25s.  I think they sounded good (I'm going to be vague), but I didn't think it would hold up on the train and being able to throw them in my messenger bag, not to mention if it leaks too much sound, my coworkers might want to have a "talk" with me.  

My point, we should set up a Williamsburg, Brooklyn meet and get all those hipster kids to bring out their record players and Grados, while other people like me bring my laptop, Keces 151 DAC, my Denons, HD25s, and of course, my prized IEMs Phonak 022s (still can't believe it was only 100 spent on it).

This could be a meet up of epic proportions.  

It'll be record player vs computer

retro and 2000s (the D2000 look pretty futuristic, but we need some Audio Technica headphones and the HD800s for sure!)

Looks like no one told you about the NYC meet on Sunday...

Mar 21, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,180 of 3,348

Quote:
Looks like no one told you about the NYC meet on Sunday...

L3000.gif

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #1,184 of 3,348
I just got these, and they meet all my demands. They are closed with good isolation, sound good, are light and are small. My ipod nano seems to be able to drive them, but I don't have much headroom (especially on quieter tracks). Thankfully I already ordered a fiio e1, which should be able to give me that little bit of extra power I need.

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #1,185 of 3,348
I've had my new HD25's running straight for 5 days and have started some critical listening. Man, these are a fun set of cans.  Spent the last two hours listening to my HD600's through a uDac2 (MacMini, Apple Lossless) and decided to switch over to the 25's. Open & airy with great resolution (HD600) or just plain fun (though a little closed off) with the HD25's. All I can say it's great to have choice.
The sweet thing is that I can use them on my iPhone4 un-amped, on the road or around the house with a 9/10 on the fun scale.
Now it's going to be interesting to see which ones reign king for desktop listening.  Won't be able to tell until my Fiio E9 comes in and I can drive the 600's properly.  I think it will come down to mood.. open, airy and relaxed or just plain tap your toes fun.

Quick Update: OMG, the uDac2 can drive the 25's to deafening levels, even with the dial at 11-12 o'clock. After 30 minutes with them on, went back to the 600's and could hardly hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back