hd25-1 impressions thread
Oct 10, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #303 of 3,350
So far I'm disappointed with the hd25s. It's great for isolation and is surprisingly comfortable (compared to the atrocious k81djs), but I find that the sound quality is not what I was expecting. I find the music to be grainy and metallic. Piano sounded so unnatural. Needless to say, I lost interest in these and they're back in the box. I think they probably have around 30 hours on them, but no amount of burn in is going to improve them to the point where I will be satisfied.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #304 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I'm disappointed with the hd25s. It's great for isolation and is surprisingly comfortable (compared to the atrocious k81djs), but I find that the sound quality is not what I was expecting. I find the music to be grainy and metallic. Piano sounded so unnatural. Needless to say, I lost interest in these and they're back in the box. I think they probably have around 30 hours on them, but no amount of burn in is going to improve them to the point where I will be satisfied.

That's not true - give them 100-150 hours and they will sound different. Mine have almost 100 hours and are noticably improved vs 30 and 60 hours. They still don't match my HD600's or Shure SE500's, but they are not irritating at all with more burn-in.

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #305 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not true - give them 100-150 hours and they will sound different. Mine have almost 100 hours and are noticably improved vs 30 and 60 hours. They still don't match my HD600's or Shure SE500's, but they are not irritating at all with more burn-in.

I hope you're right
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the best alternative to IEMs. Only if they sounded a little more refined..

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #307 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you're right
smily_headphones1.gif

These are the best alternative to IEMs. Only if they sounded a little more refined..

How are they sounding now. You should have added another 150 hours of burn-in if you hooked em up to a source and ran music through them all day and night
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #308 of 3,350
I've owned a pair of hd-25's for about a year now, and really love them, use them everyday. Shortly after ordering them I called sennheiser about a copper cable for this, they called me back a day later with information on the cable, it was a 3.5 meter cable with a 6.5mm jack, one sided. Also ordered the softer pads. I have been happy ever since. I use them for dj'ing, and for general everyday use. As far as dj'ing goes, these are perfect.

Best all around headphones!

Do have a question though, I have been considering buying some headphones that have better sound quality, have been thinking about the hd-650's. But that would be costly im thinking because i would also have to buy an amp (dont currently have one). Might it be better if I invested in a better cable for the 25? Does anyone know if buying an aftermarket cable be that much better than the cable I purchased from sennheiser? Also I would rather keep it one sided if at all possible (more comfortable when wearing them in bed). Or would an amp improve the sound of the 25's? If so I might consider buying an amp, then if I decided to buy some 650's I would already have an amp. any tips are much appreciated!

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #309 of 3,350
Buying the HD650 cable and using it on the HD25 is a fairly inexpensive, but MAJOR upgrade, IMO.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #310 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a pair of hd-25's for about a year now, and really love them, use them everyday. Shortly after ordering them I called sennheiser about a copper cable for this, they called me back a day later with information on the cable, it was a 3.5 meter cable with a 6.5mm jack, one sided. Also ordered the softer pads. I have been happy ever since. I use them for dj'ing, and for general everyday use. As far as dj'ing goes, these are perfect.

Best all around headphones!

Do have a question though, I have been considering buying some headphones that have better sound quality, have been thinking about the hd-650's. But that would be costly im thinking because i would also have to buy an amp (dont currently have one). Might it be better if I invested in a better cable for the 25? Does anyone know if buying an aftermarket cable be that much better than the cable I purchased from sennheiser? Also I would rather keep it one sided if at all possible (more comfortable when wearing them in bed). Or would an amp improve the sound of the 25's? If so I might consider buying an amp, then if I decided to buy some 650's I would already have an amp. any tips are much appreciated!

how much did the cable cost through sennheiser? and can i buy a 1/8" mini jack locally for cheap to solder on?

as for the 650 question, just from what i've heard the hd25's don't improve that much more from better cable over a OFC one or an amp, if anyone can come in with their experience.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #311 of 3,350
I was checking out the HD650 cable, but dang the end part is a biggie. Thinking of going with the HD600 as it has a 3.5mm plug.

If I remember correctly someone had a HD650/600 "cable mod" for HD25-1, ?

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #312 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much did the cable cost through sennheiser? and can i buy a 1/8" mini jack locally for cheap to solder on?

cost about $16 shipped. im sure you can solder a mini jack on if you wanted. i was initially planning on doing this, but my computer headphone out uses the 6.5 and the same with the headphone out on my dj mixer, i just bought one of those 6.5 to mini converters and use that for my mp3 player, its a bit bulky, but works for me.

ive read much about the 650 cable, but dont want to get it because i use these cans often in bed, and have been spoiled by the single sided wire
icon10.gif
. I know there is a way to mod that. But would like to know if anyone has used the replacement cable that I mentioned I have (3.5m with the 6.5 jack copper cable) that is available from sennheiser? and if so how do they compare with using the 650 cable?

Oct 23, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #313 of 3,350
My HD600 cable has arrived today and its already attached to my HD25.
My question is: How do I remove the original cable from the headband?
Currently its dangling. I dont want to cut them as I might need it in the future.

But if it needs to be cut, how do I rewire them?

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #314 of 3,350
Ah, Im going to answer my own question
smily_headphones1.gif

It turned out the cable is concealed in between the headband.
Just separate and peel!
Now I feel dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back