hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 28, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #286 of 3,350
just recently got a pair 2 days ago and listened to them for a couple minutes... i do think they improve a lot with an amp! the bass is nice and punchy and the mids are much better than my dt770 (=P) the isolation is very good too. i'd say better than my marshmallows.

more impressions later... maybe...

Sep 28, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #287 of 3,350
Got mine today. Very nice! Burning in as we speak. Now to get a better cable...

Also got a pair of Shure E500's in the mail from bobsound1, lucky day for me today.
cool.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #288 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow that's pretty surprising. Were the other headphones that you listened to amped? Because many of the high-end Sennheisers pretty much need an amp to drive them.
Also, are your HD 25's stock? (no replacement cable?)

Let's see.. I listened to:
Grado:
SR-125
SR-325
RS-1
RS-2
GS1000

Denon:
AH-D5000

Sennheiser:
HD-650

Beyerdynamic:
DT-880
DT-931

AKG:
K-701

Stax:
Lambda Nova Basic (with its own amp of course)

All the pairs I listened to were amped by a Lehmann Audio Black Cube amp except for Stax.

And yes, mine are stock. I like the one-sided cable (and I'm lazy) so I haven't gone out to get a replacement
smily_headphones1.gif
I do intend to do another run though, this time with my 25's with me and a bit more knowledge on which models to focus on. Also have to double-check the Stax because they got a bit less headtime than they deserved because I didn't want to be switching cables all the time ..

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #289 of 3,350
Now, with only 12 hours of playtime on the HD25-1 they are sounding better than the DT231.

They have more weight and presense, while the DT231 sound thinner. The DT231 still sound pleasant, but the HD25-1 are worth the extra money.

I will not leave the HD25-1 burning in by themselves for a week or two, I want to listen to the changes over time, so I'll report back as I listen more...

Oct 1, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #290 of 3,350
For RubberDuk

When I first put the HD600's on my head, I was very disappointed vs the Ultrasone HFI700 DVD which sounded good right away (in the same way the HD25-1 sounded pleasing right away). And, my HD600's had over 200 hours on them before I ever bought and listened to them.

But, as I grew used to the Sennheiser HD600 over 2-3 days, my brain re-trained itself or something and they became very very good headphones, world class I would venture to say.

Having gotten used to the HD25 sound signature, I suspect that if you listen to some HD600 or 650's again, even with some burn-in time, you will still need a couple of days to "grow" into the sound to appreciate how they improve on the HD25 that you already know and love.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #293 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it just me or does the velour pads reduce some bass and isolation?

The velours do seem to improve the comfort, but they also don't grip as tightly and thus I think some of the seal goes missing, resulting in the loss of bass and isolation.

Oct 6, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #294 of 3,350
Hey, I just received my HD25-1 II yesterday.
Bought in Ebay for $199. Heck, even my company sell the SP version for $250.
So far only 1 hour burn-in. I like the sound signature, and Im in love with it instantly.

I have questions:
1. Which pad is called velour? And whats the other one is called?
2. How to change pads?
3. How to change cable? I ordered one already.
4. Is it true that one of the driver can be rotated ala DJ style? Coz mine cant...

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:38 AM Post #295 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_C_Denton1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, I just received my HD25-1 II yesterday.
Bought in Ebay for $199. Heck, even my company sell the SP version for $250.
So far only 1 hour burn-in. I like the sound signature, and Im in love with it instantly.

I have questions:
1. Which pad is called velour? And whats the other one is called?
2. How to change pads?
3. How to change cable? I ordered one already.
4. Is it true that one of the driver can be rotated ala DJ style? Coz mine cant...

velours are the fabric, velvetty (?) pads, the stock ones are foam with a thin rubber leather like cover, which helps isolate more than velours. velours have a pattern in them if you look closely. you loose a slight amount of isolation, bass is still great but not so full on, with an OFC cable this all comes together really well. the clamping of the headband keeps it firmly where you want it.

change the pads by kinda flipping 'em inside out first & flipping 'em back over the capsules. little bit fiddly but not too hard.

you can search in here "hd25-1 cable mod" or similar, my 580 cable is pressed into both sides of the headband, one side goes out through the cable clamp & other i just used black insulating tape to hold it on the ratchet tab. remember to leave some slack in the L/R wires so the cups can slide on the ratchet tabs.

not sure aboute rotating capsules but the whole thing flexes anyway, i guess you need to slacken the screw?

Oct 6, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #296 of 3,350
Thanks for the tips nvkids909.

Do you know how long each ear pads can last? Coz Im going to order an extra.

With my PX100, the first part to break is not the ear pad, but the top cushion. Can they be ordered as well?

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #297 of 3,350
Quote:

Do you know how long each ear pads can last? Coz Im going to order an extra.With my PX100, the first part to break is not the ear pad, but the top cushion. Can they be ordered as well?

The top cushions can't be ordered by themselves from sennheiser. You can order a whole new headband if the cushions really wear out, but that's ~$55.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #298 of 3,350
Quote:

Thanks for the tips nvkids909.

Do you know how long each ear pads can last? Coz Im going to order an extra.

With my PX100, the first part to break is not the ear pad, but the top cushion. Can they be ordered as well?

i got the coloured velour pads & cushion strips from http://www6.decks.de/, they sell them as a pack now. i could just about figure it out as it was in german / euros, lol!

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #299 of 3,350
Man I ordered the 81435 cable and just installed it last night. ******* this really cleans up the sound over the steel cable. I'm really happy with this. Really happy.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #300 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man I ordered the 81435 cable and just installed it last night. ******* this really cleans up the sound over the steel cable. I'm really happy with this. Really happy.

If you could, please explain how it "cleans up the sound"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back