hd25-1 impressions thread
Sep 15, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #271 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the hd25 are phones that strike you as impressive phones. BUT, as far as I'm concerned they are the best allrounder with their portability, isolation, ruggedness and overall good and balanced sound.

I agree, but they do sound GOOD. Not GREAT, maybe, but GOOD.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #273 of 3,350
Nevermind my question about where to buy them...I just did a little searching
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #274 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can one buy a pair of HD25's? Is there a difference between HD25 and HD25-1, etc? Or do people just call them different things?

they are the same. now they would be HD25-1 II.
icon10.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #276 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are in the market for these headphones, you must check this thread out.

I have a feeling this thread will gain some new followers quite soon!

I just popped in here thinking the same thing. Here's hoping I become one of them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #277 of 3,350
Hi, Im waiting for my HD25 to arrive. As previously stated, stock cable is not good enough, and SQ can be improved by changing cable.
Do you think this cable is compatible with HD25? Does changin cable also change Ohm resistance as well?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190153099585

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #278 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by J_C_Denton1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Im waiting for my HD25 to arrive. As previously stated, stock cable is not good enough, and SQ can be improved by changing cable.
Do you think this cable is compatible with HD25? Does changin cable also change Ohm resistance as well?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=190153099585

it will work with the HD25

as for impedance, i don't think the cable affects it, unless it is specifically designed to do so (such as in ER-4S) but in this case, no.

Sep 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #279 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The AKG K81DJ's are not even in the same league. I have both so I have a more than fair idea!

Ah, that's very reassuring for me. I hated, absolutely hated, the sound of these AKGs. I am hoping that these hd25's can compliment my IEM for portable listening.

Thanks Pieman for your input.
rs1smile.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #280 of 3,350
I have been told the HD650 cable sounds better than an HD600 cable.

On my HD600 I didn't a difference with 650 cable vs 600 cable. But on my HD600 I do notice with the cryo'd black dragon cable there is more stage and treble.

When my HD25-1 II arrive, I can try my stock HD600 and HD650 cables with it, and I'll let you know if it matters.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #281 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been told the HD650 cable sounds better than an HD600 cable.

On my HD600 I didn't a difference with 650 cable vs 600 cable. But on my HD600 I do notice with the cryo'd black dragon cable there is more stage and treble.

When my HD25-1 II arrive, I can try my stock HD600 and HD650 cables with it, and I'll let you know if it matters.

Do replace the cable with something other than the steel stock one. It seems like the necessary upgrade to do (which I haven't done yet
tongue.gif
).

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #282 of 3,350
been using these cans now for a while, great cans, but the stock cable is just too short for my needs. I was checkin out the cable for HD650 but the end of it is a big "phono" plug, while I need a 3.5mm (?, well the regular size for portable use), and then I saw that the cable for HD600 has a smaller end.

How much do they differ ( HD650 and HD600 cables ). thinking of buying that HD600 cable to replace the stock one.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #283 of 3,350
Here is something I posted in the "cheap HD25-1 II" thread. Thought it would be useful here.

Mine [HD25-1 II] Arrived Today. I have only had a few minutes to listen so far, but so far so good. Here are my "immediate impressions".

1) They sound as good as my Beyer DT231 (which were only $59 shipped) - this is a good thing.

2) They sound very similar as well - sound signature is almost identical in fact.

3) The HD25-1 II did come with the extra velour pads and foam, a 1/4 adapter and a headphone sack, the DT231 come with the 1/4 inch adapter.

4) The HD25-1 II have a heavier clamping force on the head, so they feel heavier and are not as comfortable as my DT231 in that I can't forget I am wearing them.

5) The Beyer are circumaural vs supra-aural, but the cups are too small to fit completely around my ears but it isn't uncomfortable.

6) The main advantage is the HD25-1 II isolate external noises more than the DT231 - much more in fact.

7) The second advantage of the HD25-1 are they are slightly more efficient, so 50% on ipod volume = 60% on the DT231

8) The third advantage of the HD25-1 is the ability to upgrade the cable to upgrade the sound, while the DT231 are what they are.

So, for the same sound signature, if you have to save money (half the cost, or want lighter weight/clamping, and less isolation) get the DT231. But, if you need more sound isolation and want to upgrade cables and sound later, then get the HD25-1. I should note the HD25-1 have a shorter (4ft) cable with 90 degree gold plated plug, the DT231 is a straight chrome plug on a 8 foot cable.

Either way, the sound signature is pleasing, while not as detailed as my HD600 or HFI700 DVD. Both the HD25-1 and DT231 are much more efficient than an HD600 which need 100% volume vs 40-50% on an iPod.

Compaired to open-back portable headphones, they also have more extended frequency range vs the PX100 which sound dark, and don't have any grating upper mids like the iGrado have with some program material.

I would say they are a keeper, but I won't know which phones to grab on the go. To me having too many headphones for the job is a dilemma, so sound isolation will have to be my primary decider to choose which ones to use.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #284 of 3,350
Hey folks. Seemed like the perfect place for a Head-Fi newbie to begin as the 25-1:s have served me well for a few years now. My first 'real' headphones and still happy with them.

These are my home phones, but nowadays I don't have the need for isolation anymore so for the first time in a loooong while I went down to the store and listened to a bunch of cans. Sadly I didn't have my 25's with me, have to do another test run next week. So far the only challenger was probably the Grado RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

So far these have probably been the best bang for buck purchase I have ever made, or at least they come pretty damn close.

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #285 of 3,350
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberDuk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey folks. Seemed like the perfect place for a Head-Fi newbie to begin as the 25-1:s have served me well for a few years now. My first 'real' headphones and still happy with them.

These are my home phones, but nowadays I don't have the need for isolation anymore so for the first time in a loooong while I went down to the store and listened to a bunch of cans. Sadly I didn't have my 25's with me, have to do another test run next week. So far the only challenger was probably the Grado RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

So far these have probably been the best bang for buck purchase I have ever made, or at least they come pretty damn close.

Wow that's pretty surprising. Were the other headphones that you listened to amped? Because many of the high-end Sennheisers pretty much need an amp to drive them.

Also, are your HD 25's stock? (no replacement cable?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back