hd25-1 impressions thread
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #3,046 of 3,348
I guess aliexpress will have fake authentic yellow Sennheiser pads before too long :D
Probably but not interested in cheap pads. I prefer original stock or premium pads like the Yaxi Type-B...

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #3,047 of 3,348
They are genuine Sennheiser pads they are from my friends HD25 Limited Editions. He’s the reason I bought my pair after I listened to his. He’s not a big fan of the yellow pads so he let me have them.
Okay, I thought Senn had spare yellow pads for sale on their web site...

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #3,048 of 3,348
Probably but not interested in cheap pads. I prefer original stock or premium pads like the Yaxi Type-B...

I haven't seen the Yaxis but I guess all the pads in the world are made on one assembly line. Plastic can only get so premium.

Okay, I thought Senn had spare yellow pads for sale on their web site...

Yeah that was what it looked like the guys were saying.

Jul 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #3,050 of 3,348
No, I contacted Sennheiser about that and a representative said they said they have no plans to sell replacement yellow pads after the Limited Edition HD25’s are sold out.

I mean that is kind of the whole reason for the limited edition. Aside from the box and pads they're standard HD 25s.

I'm sure some enterprising businessman will fill the gap :D

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #3,051 of 3,348
I haven't seen the Yaxis but I guess all the pads in the world are made on one assembly line. Plastic can only get so premium.

Yeah that was what it looked like the guys were saying.

premium in the sense that they are well designed, comfortable and do not alter
the original. This has nothing to do with the assembly machine or the quality of plastic, but has to do with comfort and sound.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #3,052 of 3,348
I just got these and I am completely blown away. They are punchy, yes, you heard that right, PUNCHY, engaging and the midrange is so real. I don't listen very loud normally and even a laptop has no trouble driving these to a level I like to listen at. Of course they sound even better out of an amp.

It does not hurt that spare parts are easy to get, I have 2 pairs, one official factory and another that I have made out of spare parts.

Jul 24, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #3,053 of 3,348
I strongly recommend the “Yaxi HD25 Type-B” pads for regular HD25 (38$ Amazon.com). The Type-B are made mostly of Synth leather and provide a HUGE increase in comfort compared to the Synth leather stock pads. For the Amperior Version of the HD25 however I rather recommend the Yaxi SpaceRay earpads (42$). The SpaceRays are mostly made on Alcantara fabric and are better adapted to the Amperior’s thicker mid bass and it’s tendency to be a bit sibilant (lower treble) with synth leather pads. Both the Type-B with HD25 and the SpaceRays with the Amperior mostly retain the same sound signature and balance as their respective stock pad.

Many thanks for this. I am addicted to experimenting and tweaking so this is helpful.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #3,054 of 3,348
These are funny headphones. I've tried several far more expensive headphones for mostly black/death metal, electronic etc but on the whole I prefer these even though they are not the most comfortable. The sound is incredible for just £150.

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #3,055 of 3,348
These are funny headphones. I've tried several far more expensive headphones for mostly black/death metal, electronic etc but on the whole I prefer these even though they are not the most comfortable. The sound is incredible for just £150.
So what would be the most similar in iem form then?

Jul 27, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #3,056 of 3,348
So what would be the most similar in iem form then?
lol thats a tricky one. The sony ier z1r is as punchy and bassy but the fit is awkward. The atlas hits harder than the sony but can be quite intense for long sessions of metal, while the solaris is a great all rounder. I use the solaris most of the time. Whats the best upgrade from hd-25 headphone wise? I'm thinking of buying one of custom cans uk modded hd-25 next,

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #3,057 of 3,348
I completely agree. I have the aluminum version of the HD25s and no matter which on-ears I try out I always find myself going back to these (and if I didn't have the aluminum version I would go back to the originals, which I also ahve). There is something remarkably refined and punchy about them despite their price tag (not to mention that they're fantastic DJ cans).

I would say that the original HD25s have great build quality but the aluminum version (and to a lesser extent the amperior) are definitely a worthwhile investment and a step-up for those looking for a bit more.

Jul 27, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #3,058 of 3,348
...or just fit the Custom Cans damping kit to the originals. Either way, the slight resonance issue with the plastic cups is dealt with.

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #3,059 of 3,348
I've just managed to buy new aluminium ones off ebay today. Do they come with different pads to the plastic version?

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3,060 of 3,348
I've just managed to buy new aluminium ones off ebay today. Do they come with different pads to the plastic version?

No, the HD 25 aluminum has the same black fake leather pads. The Adidas came with blue fake leather pads. Not sure if there were other colors until the new anniversary edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back