hd25-1 impressions thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #2,941 of 3,348
Mogami miniature cable hd25

Yo guys!

I am currently making a cable for my hd25.
I ordered 6 meters of mogami miniature quad. There are four conductors inside (black, copper, blue, red)
For my cables I choose the copper color, because looks very cool! Antway, it was an hard work to split all those cables.

The cotton cable cover is Balconi performance. Amazing quality.

I will terminate with a 3,5 mm Neutrick Rean.

Still waiting the cardas style connector. I heard they are a nightmare to solder!

I’ll try to braid the cable tight because i want something very portable.

As far as I know, there is no mogami cable like this one I am trying to make, so I am pretty exited to finish it!

I have also the Oyaide cable, Mavismodz Cable, hd650 cable, and of course the stock hd25 cable. I am very curious how this mogami will compare with those cables and hopefully it will best them.

Cheers, hd25 lovers!

823C9A22-108F-4A15-BA3F-83FAE6A0222D.jpeg

E0FEDD5D-7C76-4FFB-B631-F9BD8928E9A7.jpeg
843122F9-5F17-4894-9346-ACDEE1788C07.jpeg

Jun 14, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,942 of 3,348
Mogami rules, but at its price point. It's not going to beat OCC copper or Oyaide PCOCC.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #2,943 of 3,348
I’m also very happy with the Oyaide on mine...

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #2,944 of 3,348
... along with the full Custom Cans mods and Yaxi pads.

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #2,945 of 3,348
Hi I was always under the impression that the HD25-1 capsules reversed would fit the SP headband.

This appears not to be the case. There doesn't seem to be anyway the round ends of the SP headband will fit into the slots of the 25-1 units.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jun 15, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #2,946 of 3,348
Photos?
It should fit, unless you've got the latest HD25-1 that is presumably made in China now, might be that they adjusted the design a bit.

Jun 16, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #2,947 of 3,348
No it's a 'made in Ireland' capsules and headband

Managed to get it to fit but the headband rod moves from side to side not located dead centre in the aperture

Maybe this how it is but doesnt seem right.

(PS using my phone can't seem to add internal photos)

Jun 25, 2018 at 5:13 AM Post #2,948 of 3,348
I just finish the Mogami miniature cable for my hd25!
It is the first cable I made, and I am very happy with the results.

In the end, this is what I used:

- Mogami miniature quad, matched color.
- Cardas style acrolink connectors
- Neutrik 3,5 mm mini-jack
- Cardas silver soldering
- Heat shrink tubes

I am still burning in the cable. First impressions are very good. Mogami sound very natural and detailed. There was always something that bothered me in the mids-high with the Oyaide cable that is not happening with this Mogami, very very good!

I will add some impressions later. Maybe if someone is interested in, a cable shoot-out for the hd25.
Cheers!

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,949 of 3,348
I had all the parts knocking around the office so I thought I would create an "ultimate" HD25. These have the Aluminium earcups with 600ohm HD25-13 drivers, Yaxi Alcantara pads and all the damping, massloading and cables mods. I suspect there is a good £350 worth of parts in there but a fun project. Anything else you guys can think of I am missing?
final form.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #2,950 of 3,348
Talking of which... The 600ohm capsules are currently £24 from Sennheiser. Cheaper than the 70ohm (£35) Add an SP headband (£8) and HD650 cable (£8) plus a spare pair of pads you may have hanging around and you have a pretty cheap headphone (around 65 quid) for home use.

That's what I did anyway!

DSC_1148.JPG

The "HD25 SP-13"
(with nicely worn "Aluminium" pads)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #2,951 of 3,348
I have been looking for the HD25 ALU leather pads for a very long time. It turns out that i did not have to look so far away since sennheiser has them in stock in their facility in Denmark. Just picked up 4 pairs from my local senn-retailer. They have artickle number 556906 and costs 17,33€/pair (converted from swedish kronor).

Sennheiser told me that this part is discontinued since a while back and the parts they have in Denmark are the last there is. Maybe they have more in the US, dont know how they work US/EU etc.
I have tried multiple pads with the result that they ruin the so so fine HD25 signature sound. Even the Yaxi pads. My guess is that the 3rd party pads are leather all around. On Senn original pads the inside that sits against the speaker is a plastic kinda funnel which dosnt catch the sound in all the small wrinkles etc. This funnel is the same on the ALU leather pads and i can confirm that they sound exacly like the original pleather pads. Or atleast so close that i cant tell the difference. They isolate as good as the originals aswell, can't say the same about the Yaxi pads... But Yaxi is more comfy ofc.

Aug 21, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #2,952 of 3,348
I have been looking for the HD25 ALU leather pads for a very long time. It turns out that i did not have to look so far away since sennheiser has them in stock in their facility in Denmark. Just picked up 4 pairs from my local senn-retailer. They have artickle number 556906 and costs 17,33€/pair (converted from swedish kronor).

Sennheiser told me that this part is discontinued since a while back and the parts they have in Denmark are the last there is. Maybe they have more in the US, dont know how they work US/EU etc.
I have tried multiple pads with the result that they ruin the so so fine HD25 signature sound. Even the Yaxi pads. My guess is that the 3rd party pads are leather all around. On Senn original pads the inside that sits against the speaker is a plastic kinda funnel which dosnt catch the sound in all the small wrinkles etc. This funnel is the same on the ALU leather pads and i can confirm that they sound exacly like the original pleather pads. Or atleast so close that i cant tell the difference. They isolate as good as the originals aswell, can't say the same about the Yaxi pads... But Yaxi is more comfy ofc.

Aren’t the pads the same as the regular HD25-1 leather pads? In any case they are surely not real leather, but a good imitation. I am sure such pads would fit the HD25 Alu. By the way, I bought a pair of remplacement pads for my Sennheiser Amperior last week from Sennheiser Canada. No availability problem. These pads are not leather like, more like synthetic suede. I find them more comfortable than leather, which makes my ears humid on hot days. I’m sure these suede like pads would also fit your HD25 alu. These pads are not the same as the suede like pads included in the regular HD25 Pro box as a second spare pair to the leather standard pair on the headphones. The amperior pads are softer, yet more dense than the regular HD25 pads. They seem to be filled with a gel like substance inside the pads. All of these pads must fit your HD25 alu!

Aug 21, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #2,953 of 3,348
The Aluminium pads are very different from the standard vinyls. Much softer and less sticky. They feel, and, as in my case after several years, look like fine leather. They aren't but you hard pressed to tell. Also as they are genuine Sennheiser they don't spoil
the sound. Any other brand is a lottery

4 pairs could last 4 decades if carefully stored but I reckon the last two will have disintegrated after 20 years or so ?!?!

Aug 21, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #2,954 of 3,348
Talking of which... The 600ohm capsules are currently £24 from Sennheiser. Cheaper than the 70ohm (£35) Add an SP headband (£8) and HD650 cable (£8) plus a spare pair of pads you may have hanging around and you have a pretty cheap headphone (around 65 quid) for home use.

That's what I did anyway!

The "HD25 SP-13"
(with nicely worn "Aluminium" pads)

Unless I'm missing somthing the capsules are not sold in pairs are they?

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:24 PM Post #2,955 of 3,348

Users who are viewing this thread

Back