hd25-1 impressions thread
Dec 11, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #2,252 of 3,348
quick question, just want to get the opinion of everyone - is the hd25 1-II still a good buy?

IMO still a good buy, but they might no longer be the industry standard for DJ headphones because the drivers are getting really old.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #2,253 of 3,348
Yeh depends how much your paying though $60 - $80 bucks and if you can recable them with something decent cable wise for say £20 but the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 are meant to be a bit better and close to the HD25's I had Mk1's should be close to the Mk lls that would be my choice instead of HD 25s both are gd portable cans but not exiting if you compare them to something like the JVC HA-S500 Carbon nanotubes diaphragm on ears headphones they aren't quit so expensive options for a portable headphone.

Best to go somewhere and compare in person.

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #2,254 of 3,348
quick question, just want to get the opinion of everyone - is the hd25 1-II still a good buy?

It depends. They're not a basshead headphone although the bass is there and digs pretty deep, however they do pretty well with any genre you choose to feed them. They're accurate and very detailed for a portable, and as a result they will show up rubbish recordings and production for exactly what it is.

The reactions of people who've tried my pair fit squarely into 2 camps. Camp 1 basically says good but not enough bass, camp 2 basically says wow I can hear everything.

Basically the HD 25 was designed as a professional on location headphone for recording monitoring purposes and as such they provide excellent isolation, and they concentrate on the accuracy of the sound rather than embellishing it as a lot of modern headphones tend to do.

If you like to hear pretty much what's on the recording then these make an excellent portable headphone. If on the other hand your prefer a more relaxed, smooth, and bassy presentation then you probably want to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't be without mine, and quite frankly they get more things right to my ear then pretty much any other portable headphone that I've heard at any price. Your ears, however, may differ from mine, so try to get to hear them first before you take the plunge.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #2,256 of 3,348
Personally I love the bass response of the hd25's.
It's IMO how it should be, in its natural state.
However when listening to let's say some drum n bass, I find they can and will
Drop low and reproduce a nice sweeping bass when they need to.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2,257 of 3,348
Personally I love the bass response of the hd25's.
It's IMO how it should be, in its natural state.
However when listening to let's say some drum n bass, I find they can and will
Drop low and reproduce a nice sweeping bass when they need to.

From all the reviews I thought these would be very treble focused cans, but from experience and watching my Rockbox EQs these are have more bass than highs. Its weird how they get called treble focused but have a roll off on the highs and boosted lows. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #2,258 of 3,348
thank you for all your inputs. a year ago i auditioned both dt1350 and hd25 1-II - the hd25, to my ears sounds more fun - but i choose the dt1350s anyway.

now i'm looking for another set of cans - options right now that i'm looking at are the hd25 1-II, Shure 840, and Sony's v6 and 7506s....i listen mostly to RnB, Pop, Alternative.

i would agree on auditioning all of them :) thanks again!

Dec 13, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #2,259 of 3,348
I recommend a RDS Labs Cmoy or Ojective 2 when you go out to test they will extract the best out of those cans for the money !

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/1/cmoybb-v2-03-headphone-amplifier/

http://www.jdslabs.com/products/35/objective2-headphone-amplifier/

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #2,260 of 3,348

From all the reviews I thought these would be very treble focused cans, but from experience and watching my Rockbox EQs these are have more bass than highs. Its weird how they get called treble focused but have a roll off on the highs and boosted lows. 

Probably because of the 7kHz and 10kHz treble peaks.  Some folks may be more sensitive to treble than others.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #2,261 of 3,348
My Amperiors arrived today, And I love them! However, Im still rocking the HD25's.
I now am lucky enough to have one set Balanced and the other Single Ended.
It saves having to faff around with the cable every time I want to switch between cables/rigs etc...
after taking these shots I attached the Amperior cable to the HD25's so I can use the remote with my iPhone, iPad and iPod.

Dec 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #2,262 of 3,348
  My Amperiors arrived today, And I love them! However, Im still rocking the HD25's.
I now am lucky enough to have one set Balanced and the other Single Ended.
It saves having to faff around with the cable every time I want to switch between cables/rigs etc...
after taking these shots I attached the Amperior cable to the HD25's so I can use the remote with my iPhone, iPad and iPod.

You prefer the sound of the hd25's or are you just saving the amperiors?
Make a comparison please!!!!!!! :)

Buy the way as anyone ever tried a set od hd25 aluminium pads on a regular hd25? If yes how good are they and do they affect the sound as the velour ones (i only have the pleather ones and never tried the velour ones, but i read many people tlking that the hd25 sounds better with the standard pleather pads....)?

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,263 of 3,348
Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean by 'Saving the Amperiors' ?
As for what sounds better, Ive only just started listening to the Amperiors about 2 minutes ago lol!
However, From reviews Ive watched and read I do believe the Aluminium Cups do make a difference.
As for the pads i.e. Velour vs Pleather vs Alcantara ( The pads on the Amperior are Alcantara & VERY comfy! ),
I'll have to sit down one afternoon either with the HD25's or the Amps and try all three kinds of pads out and write something up.
Again Ive heard that they DO make a difference but I haven't really had the time to listen properly yet.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #2,264 of 3,348
By saving i mean keeping them in a drawer as spare for the day the hd25 dies..... XD

But at first listen are the differences very noticeable? I am asking because i got a pair of hd25 a month ago and i love them but i never really got the amperiors out of my head because they are now cheaper..... Do you think a person with a pair of hd25's should ditch them for a pair of amperiors or the difference in sq is hard to spot?

Cheers.... :)

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,265 of 3,348
The HD25's are still going to be used for single ended rigs etc.
The Amperiors are my balanced solution for balanced rigs plus I wanted a pair for a while now.
So one is not a replacement for the other and visa versa. :)

at first use, I would say they are comfier due to the Alcantara pads, As for sound, Im kinda sensing that they have a more detailed sound, 
Possibly slightly better imaging. I'll know more after some long hours of listening.
But that doesn't take away from the HD25-1 II's, They're still Amazing Monitors and I really enjoy their sound.

Hope that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back