hd25-1 impressions thread
Feb 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,281 of 3,348
I would go with the e17 if it has to be mobile. Otherwise the Schiit Modi, Magni combo ist great.

I also have the recable done with oyaide. I don't know how to put it but everything is a bit "clearer" but also more natural and mellow. So yes, I think you can say it takes the edge off a bit. But I would also wait a bit more for the burn in (either of your headphones or your brain) to kick in and then decide if you want to mess around. The e17 by the way has the ability to reduce the highs and lows by small increments.

So my advice is to go with the e17 first, so you can use it as a DAC/amp and see how you like it. Recable only if still needed.

Cheers,
K

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,282 of 3,348
Do people who have a portable rig (amp/DAC + HD25's) also have home/desktop setups?  I don't think I'd want to give up any portability by adding an amp/DAC to carry with my mobile phone and headphones.  I think these Sennheisers sound wonderful right out of my mobile phone.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,283 of 3,348
HD25s benefit greatly from amplification.  With that said I do often listen to them directly from an iPod or laptop, and I'm often very content...

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #2,284 of 3,348
What an average thread title for such a legendary headphone.

I picked up a pair of HD25-1 ii on eBay recently, they need a new set of pads. I've tried the Beyer DT1350 which weren't for me so I'm hoping HD25 has better luck. If they're worthy I will go ahead and upgrade the cable to silver plated and possibly get the blue headband and Adidas edition pads, try and vamp them up a little (they're not here yet).

At their current state they look like this, until I work some magic.

As you can see on the right cup the foam is torn, looks like I need to buy the entire pad? Unless someone knows where I can get foam by itself? The pads actually look in decent condition, so if I can just replace the foam that might be enough. I have ordered some simple cheap $2 foam pads which I can cut circles out the same diameter. But it's probably easier just to buy the pads as I can get them for about $25 AUD.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,285 of 3,348
^^^ the SPC cable upgrade is amazing.  I've said this over and over again, the stock cable is the HF25's weakness.  Its steel.  I went to an SPC cable and was blown away by the improvement in bass clarity.  To be fair it was a material upgrade and going balanced...

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2,286 of 3,348
What an average thread title for such a legendary headphone.

I picked up a pair of HD25-1 ii on eBay recently, they need a new set of pads. I've tried the Beyer DT1350 which weren't for me so I'm hoping HD25 has better luck. If they're worthy I will go ahead and upgrade the cable to silver plated and possibly get the blue headband and Adidas edition pads, try and vamp them up a little (they're not here yet).

At their current state they look like this, until I work some magic.

As you can see on the right cup the foam is torn, looks like I need to buy the entire pad? Unless someone knows where I can get foam by itself? The pads actually look in decent condition, so if I can just replace the foam that might be enough. I have ordered some simple cheap $2 foam pads which I can cut circles out the same diameter. But it's probably easier just to buy the pads as I can get them for about $25 AUD.

Foamies off of fleaBay are more dense than HD25's, they'll affect the sound quite differently. You may or may not like it, and there's only one way to find out. :wink:

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,287 of 3,348
Do people who have a portable rig (amp/DAC + HD25's) also have home/desktop setups?  I don't think I'd want to give up any portability by adding an amp/DAC to carry with my mobile phone and headphones.  I think these Sennheisers sound wonderful right out of my mobile phone.

They can be driven just fine form portable devices but they do improve with more oomph from an amp. I love to listen to them in my iPad air but they do get even better with my Modi, Asgard setup....

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #2,288 of 3,348
Also, check out "customcans" on ebay.  He carries cool stuff for HD25s, and is quite reasonable.  I've seen sets of ear pads with matching head bands in a variety of colors...

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #2,289 of 3,348
I've listened to my HD25s out of a couple different amps I have and though I'd agree there's an improvement, I didn't think it was enough to justify adding another unit to carry. I'd consider a cable upgrade but only to reduce noise.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,290 of 3,348
  ^^^ the SPC cable upgrade is amazing.  I've said this over and over again, the stock cable is the HF25's weakness.  Its steel.  I went to an SPC cable and was blown away by the improvement in bass clarity.  To be fair it was a material upgrade and going balanced...

Do you have one which you recommend? Which SPC did you go for? I am flexible on price to a degree.

I found a few here on eBay, though nothing concrete as yet, even if I flip the cups around and have the cable plugs hanging down.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121279304221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201020116625?var=500222645886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111173550612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Foamies off of fleaBay are more dense than HD25's, they'll affect the sound quite differently. You may or may not like it, and there's only one way to find out.
wink.gif

My exact thoughts, why I am rather hesitant to go ahead though trying will not hurt. As a fail safe I might just order the pads, this will all depend how much I enjoy the sound. :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #2,291 of 3,348

Do you have one which you recommend? Which SPC did you go for? I am flexible on price to a degree.

I found a few here on eBay, though nothing concrete as yet, even if I flip the cups around and have the cable plugs hanging down.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121279304221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201020116625?var=500222645886&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111173550612?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My exact thoughts, why I am rather hesitant to go ahead though trying will not hurt. As a fail safe I might just order the pads, this will all depend how much I enjoy the sound. :)

I got mine from Brian at BTG Audio.  He made me a cable that traveled the headband, just like the stock cable did.  But to be fair, anything is a major improvement over the steel.  Going just pure copper would yield great results.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #2,292 of 3,348

I got mine from Brian at BTG Audio.  He made me a cable that traveled the headband, just like the stock cable did.  But to be fair, anything is a major improvement over the steel.  Going just pure copper would yield great results.

Wow, you really went the distance didn't you, balanced and all. I definitely want silver plated (depending on their tonality).

So the steel cable is horrible guys? Does not do the HD25 justice? 

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #2,293 of 3,348

Wow, you really went the distance didn't you, balanced and all. I definitely want silver plated (depending on their tonality).

So the steel cable is horrible guys? Does not do the HD25 justice? 

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it "does not do HD25 justice", but an upgrade cable certainly helps improve the sound a bit.  Just always keep in mind that cables make only a slight difference in sound, so don't worry much about it.
I've been meaning to build myself Blue Dragon cables for HD25 and T50p, but have procrastinated for too long.  Now the cable has gone up in price ~50%. 
ph34r.gif

I'll just go for an Oyaide one later, hahaha.  I'm using a dual-color Mogami cable in the mean time.

Feb 22, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #2,294 of 3,348

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it "does not do HD25 justice", but an upgrade cable certainly helps improve the sound a bit.  Just always keep in mind that cables make only a slight difference in sound, so don't worry much about it.
I've been meaning to build myself Blue Dragon cables for HD25 and T50p, but have procrastinated for too long.  Now the cable has gone up in price ~50%. 
ph34r.gif

I'll just go for an Oyaide one later, hahaha.  I'm using a dual-color Mogami cable in the mean time.

I always get the impression from the steel cable it may contribute to that aggressive sound HD25 owners mention.

I've tried a few $400 cables, such as Tralucents pure silver, silver / gold. it will take some convincing from the HD25 sonics to go that far. 
wink_face.gif

I think something around $50-$60 will suffice. :)

Feb 22, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #2,295 of 3,348

ph34r.gif

I'm sorry, but when it comes to the HD25, a cable upgrade is far more then "slight".  I'm far from a headphone master, but I have upgraded cables on 3 of my headphones.  And my DT1350s and HD650s didn't gain the same level of benefit that these phones did.  I'm not 100% positive weather its the stock cable quality, or if its some synergy with the drivers.  But before you assume, you really need to listen to the difference, at least in this one circumstance....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back