[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jun 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #856 of 1,845
How's the bass madmalkav? I'm beginning to think I definitely got a fluke DT770/600 back then, where the bass was so sloppy and overwhelming.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #857 of 1,845
Didn't try any bass heavy music. We tested with some of my father in law favourite songs, Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" and Queen's "Bohemian rhapsody". I have an small vocabulary for describing sound even in my own language, but being songs I know very well and have heard in a lot of speakers, it sounded really natural to me.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #858 of 1,845
Thank you for responding to my post! I didn't see it until today because I have been busy myself, so it's not a problem, I appreciate the reply. So I've been kind of going back and forth on what I should pick, but I just came to an epiphany.

Basically what I'm reading is the dt990 is going to be the one I try out. I don't need it necessarily for an all around phone because I'm overall satisfied with quiet jazz, acoustic, soft rock with my K271MKII. I'll let the AKG work still with those, but when I want something with bass kick and high energy, but still very detailed I'll have the dt990 to satisfy my urge for it. And I've read it will be good for movies because of the bass and treble along with excellent soundstage.

So thanks for the videos and the post to help me make up my mind. I'm going to use my kenwood kr-820 vintage receiver as my amp to start, but will eventually have to upgrade.

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner! I've been very busy lately. Also thanks for the kind words on the comparison, I do appreciate it.

As for the AKG K271MKII, I think they have more bass impact than the DT880 but lack extension. The DT880 is more neutral and detailed with a more convincing soundstage. The K271MKII sounds smaller and a little congested in comparison. The K271MKII is also a warmer and more forgiving headphone.

The DT880 may not be what you are looking for, but the DT990 might. It has more bass than the DT880, more sub-bass, more detail, but not so neutral. It's signature reminds me of a Denon D2000, though not the exact same. They have boosted treble and bass but loose out on the midrange a tiny bit. The soundstage is much wider and imaging is excellent.

The DT990 is better for Metal and other bass oriented genre's, so not really an all rounder. The DT880 is more suited to more genre's but lacks the bass you might want. It's a toss up my friend.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #859 of 1,845
Quote:
Finally got the chance to try my new pair of DT770-600ohms. As I still don't have a suitable amp for them, I tested on my father in law good ol' Pioneer stereo amp and it drove them without problems, and they sounded really good. If they sound that good with the LD amp I'm planning to buy, it would be well expended money
smily_headphones1.gif

The LDs should have more than enough voltage to drive the 600 ohm Beyers.
Sounds like a good choice, let us know how it sounds!

Jun 3, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #861 of 1,845
Quote:
More than the ability to dirve them, I'm concerned about the combination of soundcard/amp/tubes will be correct. Hope so.

I would guess that the LD will sound slightly warmer, but have more clarity than a vintage receiver.
But that's just a guess based on some experience.
Vintage receivers are not known for being the last word in transparency.

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #862 of 1,845
Quote:
[size=10pt]- 250Ohm (PRO) [/size]
[size=10pt]The pro version follows the trend of the other two lines pro variants with a smaller soundstage, more bass, and more clamp. The treble seems smoother also because of the increased clamping force and aids the mids in coming forward. Bass seems to have gained impact but now there’s slightly more bass. Even more bass than the 600Ohm model, but not as controlled. The treble is smoother now from the added bass as it gets masked a tiny bit. The mids gain some body and the lower mids are more audible.[/size]

My DT990 600 ohm premium have stronger clamp force than my DT990 Pro. I think the Pro version has shallower cups so that drivers are closer to ears and that's why they give more bass, not due to clamp. Anyone agrees? The Pros are too bassy for me in a muffly spongy way. They improve as I lift them slightly off ears. I am starting to think about a mod like sticking something on top of the velour cushions too boost them sideways. I tried stiffer pleather cushions but they feel somehow uncomfy on dt990 pro although I use them on dt770.

P.S. The strength of clamp force in my Beyers from strongest to weakest:
DT150 250 - strongest
DT990 600 - strangely stronger than 2 Pros from below
DT770 Pro 80
DT990 Pro
DT880 600 - very loose clamp

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #863 of 1,845
Quote:
My DT990 600 ohm premium have stronger clamp force than my DT990 Pro. I think the Pro version has shallower cups so that drivers are closer to ears and that's why they give more bass, not due to clamp. Anyone agrees? The Pros are too bassy for me in a muffly spongy way. They improve as I lift them slightly off ears. I am starting to think about a mod like sticking something on top of the velour cushions too boost them sideways. I tried stiffer pleather cushions but they feel somehow uncomfy on dt990 pro although I use them on dt770.

P.S. The strength of clamp force in my Beyers from strongest to weakest:
DT150 250 - strongest
DT990 600 - strangely stronger than 2 Pros from below
DT770 Pro 80
DT990 Pro
DT880 600 - very loose clamp

Think of replacing my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm with the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, wonder if it's worth the cost?

Jun 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #864 of 1,845
Quote:
Think of replacing my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm with the DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, wonder if it's worth the cost?

DT 990 600 ohm version outclasses all other headphones with my Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card (on 2xLM4562). Sound is so crisp, bass so controlled  and no distortion with dolby headphone effect, soundstage is superwide and megadeep, bass is stretched to maximum and still crisp.  So it is worth here. 
With valves I would say DT880 600 ohm could be better, DT990 may be too warm and bassy here but you may just use leaner tubes (M8161) as I did and they stand up to DT880, sounding maybe a tad brighter less sweet candy than DT880 (you must know that for me there are no too bright Beyerdynamic headphones I just don't get that talking about too harsh overextended highs).

Sadly I have not found a standalone solid state amp that would handle 600 ohm properly. Beyerdynamic A1 makes them sound like AKG headphones, cold and dry. Lehmann too dark and slow, others leave them underpowered. I think they sound better straight from a good receiver like marantz than from solidstate phone amps I tried them with. Personally now I use DT990 600 only with the sound card, for music, movies and games but it is immense experience as nothing comes close. DT880 600 I use with valves, and last but not least DT770 80 ohm with CMOY while commuting or sometimes with solidstate amps. I'm gonna flog all my other Beyers on ebay soon as not crisp enough to my taste. 

600 ohm ver. does not give you more bass than dt990 pro, it's the matter of crispness, control and soundstage. Although I know some people don't like vast soundstage at all, they buy on ear phones like grado and say that it makes them feel like being among musicians on stage, for me it's more like having the stage between my ears rather.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #865 of 1,845
Quote:

DT 990 600 ohm version outclasses all other headphones with my Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card (on 2xLM4562). Sound is so crisp, bass so controlled  and no distortion with dolby headphone effect, soundstage is superwide and megadeep, bass is stretched to maximum and still crisp.  So it is worth here. 
With valves I would say DT880 600 ohm could be better, DT990 may be too warm and bassy here but you may just use leaner tubes (M8161) as I did and they stand up to DT880, sounding maybe a tad brighter less sweet candy than DT880 (you must know that for me there are no too bright Beyerdynamic headphones I just don't get that talking about too harsh overextended highs).

Sadly I have not found a standalone solid state amp that would handle 600 ohm properly. Beyerdynamic A1 makes them sound like AKG headphones, cold and dry. Lehmann too dark and slow, others leave them underpowered. I think they sound better straight from a good receiver like marantz than from solidstate phone amps I tried them with. Personally now I use DT990 600 only with the sound card, for music, movies and games but it is immense experience as nothing comes close. DT880 600 I use with valves, and last but not least DT770 80 ohm with CMOY while commuting or sometimes with solidstate amps. I'm gonna flog all my other Beyers on ebay soon as not crisp enough to my taste. 

600 ohm ver. does not give you more bass than dt990 pro, it's the matter of crispness, control and soundstage. Although I know some people don't like vast soundstage at all, they buy on ear phones like grado and say that it makes them feel like being among musicians on stage, for me it's more like having the stage between my ears rather.

Just checked prices, $280 is the cheapest for new , buy I would rather get used under $200.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #867 of 1,845
True! The DT990 Pro is the best value out there in headphones for being under $200. It's an excellent headphone and I think it's worth double that.

Quote:
DT990 250 ohm Pro are still the best open headphones for the money you pay.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #868 of 1,845
Hello fellow Beyer lovers!

I have a problem and I think this might be the right place to ask for assistance. I've had my DT 770's 80[size=small]Ω for a couple of months now listening straight from my crappy laptop but now I want a dedicated amp so I was hoping I could get some expert input from you guys here to help me make a good choice,[/size]

[size=small]In your section about amping them(not the 80[/size][size=small]Ω but the other ones) [/size][size=small]you mention voltages and stuff to get the desired volume, that isn't any problem, I'm not even using 20% of the computers volume capacity. What I want to do is to make them reach their full potential.[/size]

I'm very pleased with the way they sound now but I feel like they're lacking a little when it comes to mids and the bass is a little flabby as you mentioned. I'm also wondering if a DAC is something I should invest in? If so, my computer doesn't have any optical outputs and I have to rely on USB. I have $600 to spend and from what I've read tube amps are supposed to have a nice, warm sound which seems very appealing but I haven't read much about solid state amps so I don't really know that much about them.

[size=small]I hope this i[/size]t isn't wrong or something of me to post this here but the world of amps is kinda confusing and here it seems like I can get help by real experts on the subject 
smily_headphones1.gif
.​

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #869 of 1,845
Quote:

I have a problem and I think this might be the right place to ask for assistance. I've had my DT 770's 80[size=small]Ω for a couple of months now listening straight from my crappy laptop but now I want a dedicated amp so I was hoping I could get some expert input from you guys here to help me make a good choice,[/size]

These headphones are very good but don't improve with expensive gear like open headphones do, say DT880. They sound good straight from a good quality old laptop like my IBM T40, good sound card like Xonar series. Straight from mp3 player they don't sound good or even loud enough, but from CMOY sound great. I have noticed no improvement over CMOY with more serious amps. I wouldn't try with tube amps myself because they add too much of warmth and bass to my taste. Though you could try Little Dot MK II that is only 100$ but start with low settings for more sensitive phones and with good valves like M8161. Then a DAC would be needed for the tube amp. Little Dot DAC II has a headphone amp built in so you could start from this and find out if you need anything more. Alternatively and cheaper you could buy a good CMOY with option of using external power supply (65$) and connect to output jack of your laptop.     

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #870 of 1,845
Quote:

[size=small]In your section about amping them(not the 80[/size][size=small]Ω but the other ones) [/size][size=small]you mention voltages and stuff to get the desired volume, that isn't any problem, I'm not even using 20% of the computers volume capacity. What I want to do is to make them reach their full potential.[/size]

I'm very pleased with the way they sound now but I feel like they're lacking a little when it comes to mids and the bass is a little flabby as you mentioned. I'm also wondering if a DAC is something I should invest in? If so, my computer doesn't have any optical outputs and I have to rely on USB. I have $600 to spend and from what I've read tube amps are supposed to have a nice, warm sound which seems very appealing but I haven't read much about solid state amps so I don't really know that much about them.

[size=small]I hope this i[/size]t isn't wrong or something of me to post this here but the world of amps is kinda confusing and here it seems like I can get help by real experts on the subject 
smily_headphones1.gif
.​

AKG K550 or Audio Technica ATH-A900X, not as bassy as the DT770, but better over all sound, and they are closed.
And are easier to drive then the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back