[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
May 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #826 of 1,845
Could anyone tell me if it was just bad first impression of probably not burned in DT 990 600 ohm or I should better buy 250 ohm. I tried to think rationally and I can see myself buying 600 ohm + OTL Tube + DAC.
What are some intresting choices that I should consider when choosing an OTL tube amp and DAC for 400 $ for both ?
I know that LD MKIII should be good, what DAC then?

May 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #827 of 1,845
Apparently the 600 ohm drivers are lighter, a lighter driver should be better , less resonant, tighter bass, better transient response.

I gotta thing for the La Figaro 336C with my DT880s, there are a few good $100 DACs out there.
iBasso makes good low cost DACs.

May 10, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #828 of 1,845
If I went with La Figaro 336C, what tubes would you recommend me to replace the stock ones? 
I read a few topics about tube rolling of DV 336se and La Figaro 336c but most of them seem outdated and I can't find anyone who paired any with DT 990 .
I got an AMP then, but now I have no idea which DAC to buy, because there are so many choices.
I don't need the DAC to be portable, i dont't need it to be small. I want it to sound quite warm and pair well with La figaro 336C and DT 990 and its price should be max 250 $.

May 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #829 of 1,845
Quote:
If I went with La Figaro 336C, what tubes would you recommend me to replace the stock ones? 
I read a few topics about tube rolling of DV 336se and La Figaro 336c but most of them seem outdated and I can't find anyone who paired any with DT 990 .
I got an AMP then, but now I have no idea which DAC to buy, because there are so many choices.
I don't need the DAC to be portable, i dont't need it to be small. I want it to sound quite warm and pair well with La figaro 336C and DT 990 and its price should be max 250 $.

Can you tell me what kind of sound you are looking for?

Here is ONE example:
Sometimes I use a Ked Rad 6SN7 with a Tungsol 6080 WA which is VERY euphonic, some people may say this is way too euphonic, depends on your taste.  Personally I think it sounds fantastic.

May 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #830 of 1,845
Hm, I'm looking for a warm sound that can roll off the highs, make mids better, and to make that bass deep but controlled in those DT 990. For me it is also important to keep those headphones dynamic, not to make of of them a slow sounding headphones for Jazz.
I'm digging all possible threads and articles about DACs in 200-250$ budget but I just can't choose, mainly because most recommendations are from 2009 when many of present DACS haven't been released yet. Also there are a lot of contradictory opinions about some of them, for example HRT MSII. 
I don't need it to be portable, I don't need it to be powered by batteries, size doesn't matter, performance and sound matters.

Is the ZeroDAC any good as an entry level DAC? What about the new ODAC? Also I heard diffrent opinions about HRT MSII, is it good matching?

May 10, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #831 of 1,845
I've decided to go with a Cowon D3 and E17 and the Dt880 Pro 250 ohm as my next set up. I hope there will be enough power, but there should be. The only problem though will be battery drain xD

May 11, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #832 of 1,845
Hm, I'm looking for a warm sound that can roll off the highs, make mids better, and to make that bass deep but controlled in those DT 990. For me it is also important to keep those headphones dynamic, not to make of of them a slow sounding headphones for Jazz.
I'm digging all possible threads and articles about DACs in 200-250$ budget but I just can't choose, mainly because most recommendations are from 2009 when many of present 
DACS haven't been released yet. Also there are a lot of 
contradictory opinions about some of them, for example HRT MSII. 

I don't need it to be portable, I don't need it to be powered by batteries, size doesn't matter, performance and sound matters.

Is the ZeroDAC any good as an entry level DAC? What about the new ODAC? Also I heard diffrent opinions about HRT MSII, is it good matching?

I'm starting to think you are trolling.

You seem to have this strange misconception that tubes are slow or mellow, undynamic, only suitable for slow quiet Jazz.

There is a lot of Jazz which is quite intense, and there are a lot of tube amps which are very dynamic, punchy and very alive and dynamic sounding.

May 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #833 of 1,845
I didn't have any intentions to troll in any way. I just read and heard some opinions that it is not dynamic.
The second aspect is that in my previous post I said it about tubes that I don't want  to be undynamic. As you said or even other people said the tube rolling changes the sound signature so that's why I mentioned it.
I had no possiblity and I will not have in listening to Tube AMP that's why some opinions that I read could be misleading for me and It could seem like I trolled or whatever you think I did.

May 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #834 of 1,845
I didn't have any intentions to troll in any way. I just read and heard some opinions that it is not dynamic.
The second aspect is that in my previous post I said it about tubes that I don't want  to be undynamic. As you said or even other people said the tube rolling changes the sound signature so that's why I mentioned it.
I had no possiblity and I will not have in listening to Tube AMP that's why some opinions that I read could be misleading for me and It could seem like I trolled or whatever you think I did.

Sorry.
I apologize for going off on you like that!:xf_eek:

Tube amps can be very warm and romantic, on the other hand, some tubes amps almost sound like solid state amps.
Some tube designs are very dynamic punchy, etc.
There are a lot of different tube amp designes out there, and unfortunately the only way to really hear what you like is to go out and listen to it. Not easy to do!

It's basically the same with Jazz, just like Rock some is intense and some is easy going, chill out music.
Personally, I like the more intense Jazz with tube headphone amps.
You can make a La Figaro sound different by changing tubes, but it is impossible to say if you would like it without listening it, or at least have some experience with the sound of tube amps.

May 11, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #835 of 1,845
Quote:
Sorry.
I apologize for going off on you like that!
redface.gif

Tube amps can be very warm and romantic, on the other hand, some tubes amps almost sound like solid state amps.
Some tube designs are very dynamic punchy, etc.
There are a lot of different tube amp designes out there, and unfortunately the only way to really hear what you like is to go out and listen to it. Not easy to do!
It's basically the same with Jazz, just like Rock some is intense and some is easy going, chill out music.
Personally, I like the more intense Jazz with tube headphone amps.
You can make a La Figaro sound different by changing tubes, but it is impossible to say if you would like it without listening it, or at least have some experience with the sound of tube amps.

I doubt anyone can dislike the sound of tube amps. And what is the "sound of tube amps" anyway? A well built tube amp should be perfectly neutral and sound as natural as possible.  A tube amp that sounds warm, colored or muddy is not a good amp.

May 11, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #837 of 1,845
Quote:

I doubt anyone can dislike the sound of tube amps. And what is the "sound of tube amps" anyway? A well built tube amp should be perfectly neutral and sound as natural as possible.  A tube amp that sounds warm, colored or muddy is not a good amp.

A lot of folks like a bit of colouration and/or euphony and/or warmth to their tube amps.
Who's to say that is wrong?
Headphones and loudspeaker are all chosen on the basis of the compromises and and colourations that you can live with.
One of the things that I like about a tube amp is that you can change the tubes and get a slightly different sound.

May 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #839 of 1,845
most tube amps have one thing in common, they seem to add a bit more air to the sound and a bit of bloom or openness to the midrange and a bit of overall warmth to the sound.
The 336C shares this characteristic.
With the right tubes (for example a 6H13C power tube and a Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Dome) the 336C sounds clean and a touch bright with a nice sense of sharpness and bite.
But you still have that tube openness and warmth.
The bass is full and not too loose.

I bought one without hearing it beforehand, sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith.  I figured if I really hated it I could sell it. I like it so I'm keeping it.

May 12, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #840 of 1,845
Zombie X, I have a DT880 250 Ohms (which was my first hifi headphone and I absolutely love), I intend to buy a T1, and I am a bit disappointed to know they sound so simillar 
frown.gif
 This aint gonna prevent me from buying them but I hope my not so well trained ears can perceive the improvement 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back