[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
May 3, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #811 of 1,845
● Output Power:

>250mW (16Ω Loaded );

>30mW (300Ω Loaded)

at http://www.fiio.com.cn/product/index.aspx  (E17)

peraphs some one have more informations ?

May 3, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #812 of 1,845
Quote:
Great review, still though I'm a little curious as to how well my Zune will drive the 600ohm variety seeing as I currently lack a good amp

Do you guys think an E17 could be sufficent to drive the 600 ohm version? As I don't want to miss out on quality due to lack of proper ampage [in addition I'd like not to be entirely tied down to my PC as it sux right now and I'm to be moving soon]

Being that the Fiio E17 has been said to be similar to the Fiio E11, and I know for a fact that the Fiio E11 can't drive my DT880 600 Ohm at all, I think it's a safe bet that you'll need something with more oomph.

May 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #813 of 1,845
Hi guys, I'm going to buy Beyerdynamic DT 990 (250 or 600) soon, which will be my first Hi-Fi headphones.
My biggest concern when it comes to choosing the suitable DAC and AMP for them is whether it is better to pair, with them, tube amp or solid state amp .
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain me that and maybe recommend good AMPs for 200 $ or AMP/DAC combo for 400 $ that suit these headphones.

May 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #814 of 1,845
EDIT: WOOPS, I GUESS IT'S NOT A COMBO AT ALL....

I have one amp that's right at $399 and should be a good match. It's the Audio-GD NFB-6. It's a dedicated AMP/DAC combo and is quite powerful. It's a balanced amp so if you use the 1/4" output you get half the power. Though even in single ended mode you still get 300mW of power @ 600Ohms. 300mW is a lot of power, so using balanced would be even better. Though there's no rush to go balanced yet, single ended is still great on all Audio-GD amps.

Here's a link tot he product page > HERE

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm going to buy Beyerdynamic DT 990 (250 or 600) soon, which will be my first Hi-Fi headphones.
My biggest concern when it comes to choosing the suitable DAC and AMP for them is whether it is better to pair, with them, tube amp or solid state amp .
I would greatly appreciate if anyone could explain me that and maybe recommend good AMPs for 200 $ or AMP/DAC combo for 400 $ that suit these headphones.

May 6, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #815 of 1,845
Quote:
EDIT: WOOPS, I GUESS IT'S NOT A COMBO AT ALL....

I have one amp that's right at $399 and should be a good match. It's the Audio-GD NFB-6. It's a dedicated AMP/DAC combo and is quite powerful. It's a balanced amp so if you use the 1/4" output you get half the power. Though even in single ended mode you still get 300mW of power @ 600Ohms. 300mW is a lot of power, so using balanced would be even better. Though there's no rush to go balanced yet, single ended is still great on all Audio-GD amps.

Half for unbalanced ? hum i think it's about 4 time less not half . 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/519166/audio-gd-nfb-10/1770#post_7904097

(it's for NFB-10SE) so i gess it's about the same for NFB-6

May 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #816 of 1,845
Kingwa told me it would be half for all their amps. Balanced gives you double the power.

Quote:

Half for unbalanced ? hum i think it's about 4 time less not half . 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/519166/audio-gd-nfb-10/1770#post_7904097

(it's for NFB-10SE) so i gess it's about the same for NFB-6

May 6, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #817 of 1,845
Quote:
Kingwa told me it would be half for all their amps. Balanced gives you double the power.

Ok ^^ , NFB-10-SE is a combo DAC+AMP peraphs it's why he said that singled ended NFB-10-SE outpout power is same than Fun / NFB-5 wich is 3x to 4 x less than  NFB-10SE in balanced mod (as quoted in post written by King Wa him self) .

But i gess it's not the same for Dedicated Amps according to what king wa said to you .

May 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #818 of 1,845
Sorry guys I dont' yet understand what are you talking abou with that balanced output and 1/4 but that 's fine :d. One thing is sure the nfb-6 is not amp/dac combo, its only amp for 400 $ alone and I can spend 400$ for both amp and dac.
Is Nfb-12 a lot worse then nfb-10?
Also, how does the audio-gd products esp. these in 400$ price range compare to Yulong D100 and also to some separate setups in that price range? Im asking because it is the first time I see someone recommend audio-gd for 990 or 880 lately.

May 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #819 of 1,845
Quote:
Sorry guys I dont' yet understand what are you talking abou with that balanced output and 1/4 but that 's fine :d. One thing is sure the nfb-6 is not amp/dac combo, its only amp for 400 $ alone and I can spend 400$ for both amp and dac.
Is Nfb-12 a lot worse then nfb-10?
Also, how does the audio-gd products esp. these in 400$ price range compare to Yulong D100 and also to some separate setups in that price range? Im asking because it is the first time I see someone recommend audio-gd for 990 or 880 lately.

My former C2.1 sounded fine on my gone DT-880-600 and with My T1, Auditor is clearly a good step beyond but C2.1 was an great amp for the price . 

NFB-5 is on your budget and it's close to a NFB-10 single ended , but i don't know how it compare to yulong D100 ^^ , NFB-12 is not as great ... but very decent for budget .

You could aslo buy something like a 336 tube amp and a cheaper dac (and later upgrade DAC) .

May 7, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #820 of 1,845
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think and I read about it that this 336 la figaro is more of a amp for jazz , classical and some slow and lovely music, which doesn't suit me.
Is a nfb-5 good choice if it comes to upgrading it in the future? What should I upgrade then amp or dac?
Also is it worth to wait get some more money and buy nfb-10se or maybe any other good amp/dac in higher budget, maybe yulong d100 ?
And how does the nfb-10se compare to others in that price range? Should I buy 600 ohm version of dt 990 for them or the 250 ohm will sound better?

And as I can't listen to any tube amp because almost none shops got any, could you tell me what is the sound signature like with tube amp, because people like to say it's tubey and recommend using DT 990 with tubes.
I'm not sure about them as I dont' know if there are any not lovely and slowly sounding tube amps.

May 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #821 of 1,845
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think and I read about it that this 336 la figaro is more of a amp for jazz , classical and some slow and lovely music, which doesn't suit me.
Is a nfb-5 good choice if it comes to upgrading it in the future? What should I upgrade then amp or dac?
Also is it worth to wait get some more money and buy nfb-10se or maybe any other good amp/dac in higher budget, maybe yulong d100 ?
And how does the nfb-10se compare to others in that price range? Should I buy 600 ohm version of dt 990 for them or the 250 ohm will sound better?
And as I can't listen to any tube amp because almost none shops got any, could you tell me what is the sound signature like with tube amp, because people like to say it's tubey and recommend using DT 990 with tubes.
I'm not sure about them as I dont' know if there are any not lovely and slowly sounding tube amps.

I am not very found of tube amps , they do sound good but the amps that i listened it was just not my type of sound but i could easely understand why many like tube amps , and all tube amps don't have the "typical tube sound" , in a electrical stand point , tube amps can power Beyer 600 ohms easely , there are very good SS amps , but many are less suitable for 600 ohms cans than tube ones . 

Well even with NFB-5 i would recommand the 600 ohms one . On a C2.1 amp DT-880-250 and 600 i prefered 600 ohm one  , but some prefer the 250 ohm version , not so easy ... 

Yulong D100 i don't know how well is the head amp , but you can use a balanced amp later , NFB-5 peraphs headphone out is better but if you upgrade amp section you will be limited to unbalanced operation .  NBF-10SE , i think that this one is a little haed , you can use it as balanced amp or dac ... But there is many more choice , so if some one have more comments on this ...

May 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #822 of 1,845
[COLOR=FF0000]EDIT: WOOPS, I GUESS IT'S NOT A COMBO AT ALL....[/COLOR]

If you go thru the math then you will see that a balanced amp outputs twice as much voltage which works out to four times as much power as a single ended amp.

May 9, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #823 of 1,845
Could you answer my last questions, because I already decided that I will buy the NFB-5 but I don't know if I should buy DT 990 250 omhs or dt 990 600 ohm version , what do you think ?
I would't even bother taking 250 ohm version after reading so much about 600 ohm being so much better but I tested both on AMP Music Fidelity M1 HPA and the 250 ohm sounded better, I mean the 600 ohm had some kind of siblance that really bothered me when I listened to a music and I thought that It's just the 250 ohm being better. Then I read a lot on the forums that 600 ohm is better and I now start to think what could casue that negative experience that I had ? 
Also, after my purchese of DT 990 and NFB-5 I would like to try to recable them into balanced as I heard it helps a lot. 
What cable should I use to improve quality and also make it balanced ? 
WIll it really improve the quallity or I have to spend 200 $ to feel the difference or the fact that It will become balanced will improve the quallity itself?

May 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #824 of 1,845
Quote:
Could you answer my last questions, because I already decided that I will buy the NFB-5 but I don't know if I should buy DT 990 250 omhs or dt 990 600 ohm version , what do you think ?
I would't even bother taking 250 ohm version after reading so much about 600 ohm being so much better but I tested both on AMP Music Fidelity M1 HPA and the 250 ohm sounded better, I mean the 600 ohm had some kind of siblance that really bothered me when I listened to a music and I thought that It's just the 250 ohm being better. Then I read a lot on the forums that 600 ohm is better and I now start to think what could casue that negative experience that I had ? 
Also, after my purchese of DT 990 and NFB-5 I would like to try to recable them into balanced as I heard it helps a lot. 
WIll it really improve the quallity or I have to spend 200 $ to feel the difference or the fact that It will become balanced will improve the quallity itself?

NFB-5 => unblanced operation . It's the NFB-10SE that have balanced out , well it's not a consensus some prefer 250 ^^ but many prefer 600 ohms versions .

May 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #825 of 1,845
Quote:

Better get the OTL amp for DT990 600Ohm, that will improve the sound quality more than balancing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back