[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #887 of 1,845
Got a new toy to play with :wink:

Will update with more impressions later but for now I have to say it sounds nothing like the first T70 I heard. This one sounds very different in fact!

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #888 of 1,845
Quote:
Also guys I may have some goodies coming. Been looking to borrow another Head-Fiers DT150, said to be one of the best beyers out there!

popcorn.gif

Jul 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #889 of 1,845
Jul 13, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #890 of 1,845
Quote:
Got a new toy to play with :wink:

Will update with more impressions later but for now I have to say it sounds nothing like the first T70 I heard. This one sounds very different in fact!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! I'm jealous.

This is interesting. I was going to ask you about this phenomenon. I recently acquired two seemingly identical 600 ohm DT 770 Premiums but, no doubt about it, they sound different from each other. They definitely have a similar sound signature but one has much stronger bass and the other is much more sibilant in the high frequencies. I kept the bass-heavy version (and freakin' love it) and gave the more sibilant one to my dad for use with his guitar/microphone amplifier. So what gives? Is this the Beyerdynamic inconsistency I've heard about? BTW, the bass-heavy one was probably manufactured a year or two prior to the sibilant one. It came in the older grey and orange box and the sibilant one came in the newer white box. Very interesting indeed, though I can't say I'm not happy. Both sounded good and the bass-heavy version that I kept is absolutely perfect for what I was looking for.

Edit-- BTW, the newer (higher serial number) sibilant one I bought from Headroom's B-Stock page (refurbished) and the older (lower serial number) bass-heavy one I bought brand new from ProAudioStar. I bought them 1 week apart from each other, 2 months ago.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #891 of 1,845
Hi,

I think it comes down to manufacturing variations. I've experienced this with the DT770 as well. The 600Ohm is usually bright with not much bass, but I've encountered a bass heavy version where it sounded more like the Pro 80Ohm model. It's odd but I'm not sure if it's an inconsistency. Also, another user named Mad Lust Envy encountered the bass heavy version, just for reference here.

This happens with manufacturers but not so drastic as these occurrences. I've investigated but have not found any solid answers.

Quote:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! I'm jealous.

This is interesting. I was going to ask you about this phenomenon. I recently acquired two seemingly identical 600 ohm DT 770 Premiums but, no doubt about it, they sound different from each other. They definitely have a similar sound signature but one has much stronger bass and the other is much more sibilant in the high frequencies. I kept the bass-heavy version (and freakin' love it) and gave the more sibilant one to my dad for use with his guitar/microphone amplifier. So what gives? Is this the Beyerdynamic inconsistency I've heard about? BTW, the bass-heavy one was probably manufactured a year or two prior to the sibilant one. It came in the older grey and orange box and the sibilant one came in the newer white box. Very interesting indeed, though I can't say I'm not happy. Both sounded good and the bass-heavy version that I kept is absolutely perfect for what I was looking for.

Edit-- BTW, the newer (higher serial number) sibilant one I bought from Headroom's B-Stock page (refurbished) and the older (lower serial number) bass-heavy one I bought brand new from ProAudioStar. I bought them 1 week apart from each other, 2 months ago.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #892 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

I think it comes down to manufacturing variations. I've experienced this with the DT770 as well. The 600Ohm is usually bright with not much bass, but I've encountered a bass heavy version where it sounded more like the Pro 80Ohm model. It's odd but I'm not sure if it's an inconsistency. Also, another user named Mad Lust Envy encountered the bass heavy version, just for reference here.

This happens with manufacturers but not so drastic as these occurrences. I've investigated but have not found any solid answers.

So you mentioned this new T70 of yours sounds very different to the previous T70 you listened to. Do you suspect this same discrepancy that existed between some 770/Premium/600's is happening now in these new T70's ?

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #893 of 1,845
Hi,

I believe so. These variations are way to large to be normal. I'll have to contact beyerdynamic and fine out for sure. I'm sure Pete maybe able to shed some light on this.

Quote:

So you mentioned this new T70 of yours sounds very different to the previous T70 you listened to. Do you suspect this same discrepancy that existed between some 770/Premium/600's is happening now in these new T70's ?

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #894 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

I believe so. These variations are way to large to be normal. I'll have to contact beyerdynamic and fine out for sure. I'm sure Pete maybe able to shed some light on this.

Awesome man! You don't know how interested in this I am, both based on my experience and on what I've read from others. I knew you were just the man to ask. I can't wait to hear what they say because I completely agree and they obviously will know about this and why its this way. I'm not dogging on Beyerdynamic in any way shape or form. I have somewhat reluctantly become a huge Beyer fan after originally being more of a Sennheiser guy. I absolutely love these Beyers I've bought recently and I find myself loving them more every day. No doubt about it, I'm going to be buying many more Beyers in the future for myself and for friends :) so getting to the bottom of this will help me make more informed purchases, not to mention help me get a better taste of how things happen over in Beyer-land which, as the Beyerdynamic fan boy I've become, I'm very interested in haha! Thanks so much for your info & help. I'll be looking forward to hearing more on this. Rock on! Can't wait to try out more Beyers, especially these new Tesla models, and I can't wait to hear your extended thoughts on the T70. Thanks again dude.

Devin

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #895 of 1,845
Hi,

This thread is aimed to, besides the sonic differences between models, keep consumers informed and also to help with deciding before purchasing a headphone. It's all a great guide for those who are just interested in beyers. 

I'll call beyerdynamic's own sales rep, Peter Carini, on Monday and find out what he says. I'll try tomorrow but I think they are closed tomorrow. It's perplexing that we've experienced these wild deviations within the same model so it got me thinking. Maybe it's manufacturing errors or even, not to frighten anyone, defective headphones.

A similar situation has befallen the T1 as there are supposedly are bass-lite and bass-heavy versions out there. I personally have not encountered this in any of the 10 or so T1 I've worked on but it could be possible.

In any case I'll find out soon and let you guys know.

Quote:

Awesome man! You don't know how interested in this I am, both based on my experience and on what I've read from others. I knew you were just the man to ask. I can't wait to hear what they say because I completely agree and they obviously will know about this and why its this way. I'm not dogging on Beyerdynamic in any way shape or form. I have somewhat reluctantly become a huge Beyer fan after originally being more of a Sennheiser guy. I absolutely love these Beyers I've bought recently and I find myself loving them more every day. No doubt about it, I'm going to be buying many more Beyers in the future for myself and for friends :) so getting to the bottom of this will help me make more informed purchases, not to mention help me get a better taste of how things happen over in Beyer-land which, as the Beyerdynamic fan boy I've become, I'm very interested in haha! Thanks so much for your info & help. I'll be looking forward to hearing more on this. Rock on! Can't wait to try out more Beyers, especially these new Tesla models, and I can't wait to hear your extended thoughts on the T70. Thanks again dude.

Devin

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #896 of 1,845
Hmmmmm, I think I have a bass heavy pair of DT880 600 ohms.
No compliants, I think they are the Schiit!

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #897 of 1,845
Hi,

I've never heard of a bass heavy pair of DT880, well with J$ pads they are, but not on their own. You wouldn't mind sending them to me to try out sometime? I am intrigued by this.

On another note I am uploading some new beyerdynamic videos to Youtube for all to look at. I have one of the T70 and then another video for how to amp various beyer headphones. I'll provide the links once updating has finished. Estimated time till finished is 4 hours...

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I think I have a bass heavy pair of DT880 600 ohms.
No compliants, I think they are the Schiit!

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #898 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

I've never heard of a bass heavy pair of DT880, well with J$ pads they are, but not on their own. You wouldn't mind sending them to me to try out sometime? I am intrigued by this.

On another note I am uploading some new beyerdynamic videos to Youtube for all to look at. I have one of the T70 and then another video for how to amp various beyer headphones. I'll provide the links once updating has finished. Estimated time till finished is 4 hours...

Hmmmm, I live in Canada, cross border shipping may be troublesome?
I really don't hear much of the dreaded sibilance out of my 'phones either.
I can't see how anyne can call these brighter than Q701s?

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #899 of 1,845
Yo,

Canada eh? Didn't know you lived there don't cha know. Sorry had to... and it failed..

I always found the K701, K702, and Q701 brighter than any of the DT880 versions. I've not heard a sibilant pair either.
Quote:

Hmmmm, I live in Canada, cross border shipping may be troublesome?
I really don't hear much of the dreaded sibilance out of my 'phones either.
I can't see how anyne can call these brighter than Q701s?

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #900 of 1,845
Damn i always had the impression that my DT-880-600 was brighter and colder than my K702  , or perahs it's just an impression by the more proeminent treble on DT-880 ?
My DT-880-600 , was light on bass impact just a tad more than my K702 ... but bass were fuller sounding , more quantity .

Well at that time "only" had a C2.1 to power them , and never could choose beetween them , finaly sold both  , T1 cleared this dilema .
 But sometimes i think how DT-880-600 would have sound with Auditor ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back