[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
May 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #841 of 1,845
The T1 and DT880 have similar qualities but sound nothing alike. The T1 sounds like a DT880 on steroids to my ears. The sound is fuller, more robust, and a lot more resolving. The improvement from DT880 to T1 is pretty big.

May I ask what music you listen to? The T1's are even better all rounders than the DT880 are. They are perfect for rock, metal, and some electronic/dubstep. They have excellent bass and are good with rap, but if you want throbbing bass then look elsewhere.

Quote:
Zombie X, I have a DT880 250 Ohms (which was my first hifi headphone and I absolutely love), I intend to buy a T1, and I am a bit disappointed to know they sound so simillar 
frown.gif
 This aint gonna prevent me from buying them but I hope my not so well trained ears can perceive the improvement 
L3000.gif

May 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #842 of 1,845
Zombie X, I have a DT880 250 Ohms (which was my first hifi headphone and I absolutely love), I intend to buy a T1, and I am a bit disappointed to know they sound so simillar :frowning2:  This aint gonna prevent me from buying them but I hope my not so well trained ears can perceive the improvement :L3000:

I have heard a pair of T1 s and I was surprised at how similar they were to DT880s, but I only listened to the T1s for 10 minutes......maybe I just needed more time with them?

May 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #843 of 1,845
I listen to almost everything but "modern" music like electronic, rap, dubstep etc. I don't even know what "dubstep" is supposed to sound 
rolleyes.gif
 but I'm almost sure it's not my cup of tea. 

Mainly classic rock, blues and jazz, a little bit of classical too. I guess T1 will suit me well. 
dt880smile.png

May 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #844 of 1,845
They are similar in ways, yes, but they perform much much better.

Quote:
I have heard a pair of T1 s and I was surprised at how similar they were to DT880s, but I only listened to the T1s for 10 minutes......maybe I just needed more time with them?

Then the T1 will be a perfect choice! It does both jazz and classical very well. Jazz will sound more intimate and soothing IMO.

Quote:
I listen to almost everything but "modern" music like electronic, rap, dubstep etc. I don't even know what "dubstep" is supposed to sound 
rolleyes.gif
 but I'm almost sure it's not my cup of tea. 

Mainly classic rock, blues and jazz, a little bit of classical too. I guess T1 will suit me well. 
dt880smile.png

May 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #845 of 1,845
Quote:
They are similar in ways, yes, but they perform much much better.

Then the T1 will be a perfect choice! It does both jazz and classical very well. Jazz will sound more intimate and soothing IMO.

Then maybe I better not listen to the T1s again, it may cause way too much damage to my wallet!
Thanks for the input.
wink_face.gif

May 14, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #846 of 1,845
As the tube rolling threads for DV 336 and La figaro 336c are dead, could you tell me what are some good entry-level replacement tubes worth buys for La Figaro 336c to pair with Dt 990, I know that they should be making the mids better sounding and have a deep controlled bass.

May 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #847 of 1,845
Here are some good choices for the amp. 

1. RCA 6AS7/G's are very warm, though not too controlled in the bass, but are relatively cheap and easy to acquire. Price range is $10-$30 for a nice condition tube. > http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-USA-6AS7G-Grey-Smooth-Plate-Top-O-Getter-Hickok-Tested-6AS7-6080-/120910668727?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c26d663b7#ht_1254wt_1037

2. Sylvania 6AS7 type tubes seem to be more neutral and can tighten the bass, but they are less warm and are also common. They can beb had for around $20 > http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Sylvania-USA-6AS7G-Black-Smooth-Plate-Top-Getter-Hickok-Tested-6AS7-6080-/120910668648?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c26d66368#ht_1254wt_1037

3. Tung-Sol 6AS7 type tubes are a sort of combination between control and warmth, so I recommend them if you can get a good price. Can be had for $20-$40 > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tung-Sol-6080-6AS7-Stereo-Tube-/400296642968?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d338a0998#ht_500wt_1054

4. Tung-Sol 6080W's are pretty warm but lack some control. They do perform better than the RCA 6AS7'G's IMO. They can be had for $20-$40

Quote:
As the tube rolling threads for DV 336 and La figaro 336c are dead, could you tell me what are some good entry-level replacement tubes worth buys for La Figaro 336c to pair with Dt 990, I know that they should be making the mids better sounding and have a deep controlled bass.

May 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #848 of 1,845
Thank you, but In the other thread someone told me that I need a 6SN7GT (driver) and a 6AS7 (output) tubes. And is it  the socket into which I place the tubes that has to suit the new tubes?
Also you listed 4 tubes but which ones are driver tubes and which are output or you listed only driver ? Which tube is like more important?
I can't find any information about stock tubes with which the La figaro 336C comes, does it matter or I can buy any tubes and put into it?

May 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #849 of 1,845
Quote:
Here are some good choices for the amp. 

1. RCA 6AS7/G's are very warm, though not too controlled in the bass, but are relatively cheap and easy to acquire. Price range is $10-$30 for a nice condition tube. > http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-USA-6AS7G-Grey-Smooth-Plate-Top-O-Getter-Hickok-Tested-6AS7-6080-/120910668727?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c26d663b7#ht_1254wt_1037

2. Sylvania 6AS7 type tubes seem to be more neutral and can tighten the bass, but they are less warm and are also common. They can beb had for around $20 > http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Sylvania-USA-6AS7G-Black-Smooth-Plate-Top-Getter-Hickok-Tested-6AS7-6080-/120910668648?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c26d66368#ht_1254wt_1037

3. Tung-Sol 6AS7 type tubes are a sort of combination between control and warmth, so I recommend them if you can get a good price. Can be had for $20-$40 > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Tung-Sol-6080-6AS7-Stereo-Tube-/400296642968?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5d338a0998#ht_500wt_1054

4. Tung-Sol 6080W's are pretty warm but lack some control. They do perform better than the RCA 6AS7'G's IMO. They can be had for $20-$40

Note to NoMatterWhat:   I hope this answers your questions:

the 6AS7 is the large output tube in the rear.    The 6080 is a direct equivalent to the 6AS7.
I am a big fan of the Tunsol 6080W, a nice touch of warmth!

The stock tubes are Chinese tubes, which work OK, but all the tubes that The Zombie suggested are a definite upgrade to the stock tube.

You are correct, the 336C also uses a 6SN7 as an input (or driver) tube.
Most people feel that the input tube is a bit more important.  OTOH the output tube is cheaper to replace.

For input tubes the Sylvania 6SN7 Chrome Domes have a nice sense of bite to them.
A lot of guys like the Ken Rad VT-231 or Ken Rad 6SN7.  I find this complements the Tungsol 6080W quite nicely for a real nice touch of warmth and euphony.

Unfortunately I am terrible at describing how equipment sounds!

May 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #850 of 1,845
Here is my input on the DT 770 80 ohm Pro and the DT 880 600 ohm Premium. I purchased the 770 as my portable set (I know they are big and look goofy, but I don't care). I use a FiiO E11 with my 5th gen iPod and lossless files (although I have been transitioning to VBR 0 lately). I like everything about the 770, but the bass is more heavy than I like at the expense of some control and accuracy, but for portable use, I can't dislike them. The treble and mids work quite well for me and in general they are very nice if you like extra bass energy that depending on the recording may not be that well controlled. The extra bass energy with a well mastered album is not going to be perceived as anywhere near as uncontrolled and muddy as say your typical rock recording. A good example of poor bass control on the 770 with my portable gear - recently I put Black Sabbath We Sold Our Soul for Rock n Roll (VBR 0 quality from Easy CD Extractor version 12.0.4). When the song Paranoid came on the bass was just a disaster, a real mess and I had to turn the volume down significantly to gain any control at all. Up to that point songs such as War Pigs, fairies Wear Boots, Iron Man sounded decent, but Paranoid was an unmitigated disaster. In contrast if I listen to well mastered music such as Tears for Fears - Sowing the Seeds of Love, Steely Dan - Two Against Nature then even prominet bass is well enough controlled to be very engaging so be careful forming an opinion about the bass control/extension of the 770s without ensuring you give them a chance with better recorded music. That said, there is no way around the fact that they are bass heavy and can't ever be considered accurate, but that doesn't mean they sound bad, not at all.

I love my 880s, I really do. At a recent meet here in Ottawa I just did not find the T1s thumped then anywhere near as much as I expected, and I went primed expecting this to happen as the T1 is my next headphone upgrade at this point. I will need more time with the T1, but based on my limited experience I can't see the T1 being a slam-dunk upgrade worth the significant cash difference. This may change with more time on a T1, but that is my initial impression. I can only agree fully with Zombie X's impression of the 880s (600 ohm). I love them through my Schiit Valhalla, and recently through the entry level (but very nice) Graham Slee Novo amp. This brings me to a question for any and all, but certainly for Zombie X. I am so close to pulling the trigger on an Auditor, but my experience with the Novo has been very positive and makes me wonder about the Solo Ultra Linear. Does anybody have any thoughts about pairing the 880 with the Solo UL or the Auditor? The Auditor sounds so amazing and is certainly less expensive here than the Solo. That said, I really find the Slee sound engaging, seductive even, and this is with an entry level model and the stock switching power supply!

May 21, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #851 of 1,845
Hey I've been doing my research on the dt880/600ohm premium model. I want to use my existing setup for now, but will eventually get a powerful tube amp as I know that will help in the progression of my rig.

I like my akg k271mkii but I'm hoping to have something that's still pretty neutral but a little more bass extension and impact than it. It sounds like the 880 could be the answer to that. If you think it may be wiser to look at the dt990 I will, but I worry about the brightness of the mids making it sound unnatural and sibilant, and maybe too bass heavy.

I am looking for these to pretty much be a fairly all arounder. I have the k271 for some slower softer music and I really like it with acoustic, and jazz, and some softer rock, country. I have the grado sr60i which I still love for classic rock and some metal. I am hoping that the beyers can be for rock, jazz, classical, ost, and movies. And I just want some more bass both quantity and quality than the k271, not necessarily a heavy bass hp.

And thanks to the op for the comparison and the discussion throughout the thread that has given me some more impressions about the beyer dt7/8/9 series.

May 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #852 of 1,845
Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner! I've been very busy lately. Also thanks for the kind words on the comparison, I do appreciate it.

As for the AKG K271MKII, I think they have more bass impact than the DT880 but lack extension. The DT880 is more neutral and detailed with a more convincing soundstage. The K271MKII sounds smaller and a little congested in comparison. The K271MKII is also a warmer and more forgiving headphone.

The DT880 may not be what you are looking for, but the DT990 might. It has more bass than the DT880, more sub-bass, more detail, but not so neutral. It's signature reminds me of a Denon D2000, though not the exact same. They have boosted treble and bass but loose out on the midrange a tiny bit. The soundstage is much wider and imaging is excellent.

The DT990 is better for Metal and other bass oriented genre's, so not really an all rounder. The DT880 is more suited to more genre's but lacks the bass you might want. It's a toss up my friend.

Quote:
Hey I've been doing my research on the dt880/600ohm premium model. I want to use my existing setup for now, but will eventually get a powerful tube amp as I know that will help in the progression of my rig.

I like my akg k271mkii but I'm hoping to have something that's still pretty neutral but a little more bass extension and impact than it. It sounds like the 880 could be the answer to that. If you think it may be wiser to look at the dt990 I will, but I worry about the brightness of the mids making it sound unnatural and sibilant, and maybe too bass heavy.

I am looking for these to pretty much be a fairly all arounder. I have the k271 for some slower softer music and I really like it with acoustic, and jazz, and some softer rock, country. I have the grado sr60i which I still love for classic rock and some metal. I am hoping that the beyers can be for rock, jazz, classical, ost, and movies. And I just want some more bass both quantity and quality than the k271, not necessarily a heavy bass hp.

And thanks to the op for the comparison and the discussion throughout the thread that has given me some more impressions about the beyer dt7/8/9 series.

May 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #853 of 1,845
Quote:
Hi,

Sorry for not responding sooner! I've been very busy lately. Also thanks for the kind words on the comparison, I do appreciate it.

As for the AKG K271MKII, I think they have more bass impact than the DT880 but lack extension. The DT880 is more neutral and detailed with a more convincing soundstage. The K271MKII sounds smaller and a little congested in comparison. The K271MKII is also a warmer and more forgiving headphone.

K271Mk² => not more bass impact in fact it's just a bit more than my gone K702 peraphs something beetween K702 and DT-880 for bass impact or same level than DT-880 no more , and less than DT-880 PRo . It's a bit warmer too , otherwise i agree with you .

(based on my impression with my back up K272HD wich is very similar with K271MK²) ;

May 28, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #854 of 1,845
I haven't heard the 990 myself, wish I had. When I purchased the 880 based on all the reviews/impressions I read the 880 and it's more accurate/neutrality appealed to me, and I am very glad I purchased them. There are times where the bass is slightly leaner than I would like, but it really wouldn't be right to call them deficient in any meaningful way. If somebody really wants a strong bass impact signature headphone, perhaps the 880 will not always satisfy them, but here is the positive trade-off that I see. The 880 has articulate and multi-faceted bass that can really bring out different timbre and tone, texture and pace of bass lines and percussion, so for me the loss of some impact is worth it. As one door closes another opens they say.

My Auditor should arrive this week so I will finally get a chance to hear the 880 with this amp. I would move to the T1 if I found all of the bass detail as the 880 has, with more impact. For that extra $800 I should hope that is the case, along with more refinement in the top and middle as well. I have a head-fi buddy here with a T1 so I will get some quality time with them in the near future. And yes Zombie X, you did indeed influence my decision to try the Auditor as I said earlier in the thread. You had better hope I like it!! No worries mate, just foolin of course, with any audio gear you take a chance, but my instincts tell me this will not be a huge gamble at all.

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #855 of 1,845
Finally got the chance to try my new pair of DT770-600ohms. As I still don't have a suitable amp for them, I tested on my father in law good ol' Pioneer stereo amp and it drove them without problems, and they sounded really good. If they sound that good with the LD amp I'm planning to buy, it would be well expended money :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back