[GUIDE] Sonic Differences Between DT770-DT990 Models & More
Sep 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #466 of 1,845

Quote:

I don't find the HD650 veiled at all. They let you hear everything that's on the recording without boosting any frequency.
The DT880 has a slightly tilted treble in comparison. I modded my DT880 into a closed version with a lot of dampening on the drivers. Now they are more to my liking.

Are you sure they don't sound veiled? You are sending me kind of mixed messages, because in the review I read about the DT880's in your signature you state that the HD650's have a veil, and I would agree with that...I just want to know that there is a difference between the two. I want a brighter, more clear sounded headphone.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #467 of 1,845

Quote:

Are you sure they don't sound veiled? You are sending me kind of mixed messages, because in the review I read about the DT880's in your signature you state that the HD650's have a veil, and I would agree with that...I just want to know that there is a difference between the two. I want a brighter, more clear sounded headphone.

I can't imagining I ever wrote the HD650 have a veil, because I don't think they have.
Sure, the DT880 are brigther, and they can give the perception of being more clear.
But they miss IMO the richness and body the DH650 have. And the HD650 gives IMO the same detail as the DT880.

Edit: it's NoXter who was talking about a HD650 veil in the DT880 closed back thread.

Sep 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #468 of 1,845
No no I don't get paid for any of my reviews. I sually have to scrap up any extra cash then buy something.

Quote:
Ah thought you were some paid reviewer or something cause of the very good reviews so far :p

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #469 of 1,845
My dt880 600 ohm arrived a few hours ago. Just starting to listen to them. A bit unsure about them at moment. Need some hours with them and my tube amp needs warming up too. Doesn't seem to have enough bass. Treble is ok. Wonder if I should have had the dt990 :frowning2:

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:05 AM Post #470 of 1,845
Just found option command 2 brings up the EQ in iTunes. Got a little better bass. Like everything else just missing the sub bass impact which I like with blues and jazz. Will see if anything changes as they burn in.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #471 of 1,845
4 hours into the burn process and I actually fell asleep listening to Norah Jones. The bass has arrived. The treble is warming up. Very comfy but loose too.

They are not as hard on the treble. Starting to feel emotional with the music and the bass is definitely becoming more the way I like. Going to leave these playing for 24 hours non stop but not with my Little Dot. The LD gets a break in 3 hours.

If these warm up and bass improves, the dt880 600 ohm should be very special. Have found they are more versatile with different genre than the HD600 and FA-003. I still think my FA-003 are stunning but the 880 are just so different.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #472 of 1,845
28 hours of burn in. Treble is now softer. Bass is a lot better. Will be keeping these, but I do want more rumble on the bass sometimes. Weird thing is the the 880s play every genre really well. Very balanced across all the sound spectrum, fast enough with rock and sometimes there is quality bass when I least expect it.

I think I need something else to compliment the dt880.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #473 of 1,845
Like I mentioned in the giant advice thread, consider trying different pads. The gels and leathers should increase bass response.

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #475 of 1,845

Quote:
But where can you buy them? I can only find the grey velours .

I am in the UK btw.

I have no idea where to get them in Europe. Are they not available from Beyer's website? On the North American site when you go to their headphones section, there's a "spare parts" section under the headphone categories.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #476 of 1,845
The only spare Beyer leather pads you can buy in Europe are the aviation ones for pilots. Try therefore a pilot shop. Though I don't think they will do any good for your DT880. Many dislike them.
Beyer has also leather earpads for consumer purposes, but those are only available along with a customized (Manufaktur) headphone from their webshop.

What you could try are the DT770 velour ear pads. They are different from the DT880/990 pads. Thicker and more closed, well they are afterall for closed headphones. They will  provide more bass, but I can't guarantee they will sound good with the semi open DT880. I have them on my modded close back version.

Quote:
Quote:
Like I mentioned in the giant advice thread, consider trying different pads. The gels and leathers should increase bass response.

But where can you buy them? I can only find the grey velours .

I am in the UK btw.

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #477 of 1,845
The leather pads that beyer makes aren't like their old models. These new ones lack the holes on the inside of the pad and as such really muddy the sound and the DT880 becomes far too bass heavy.

Quote:
I have no idea where to get them in Europe. Are they not available from Beyer's website? On the North American site when you go to their headphones section, there's a "spare parts" section under the headphone categories.

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #479 of 1,845

Quote:
With some patience, could one not punch holes into the pads?

Tried, didn't work for some reason
frown.gif

Or maybe I should've made more holes....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back