Grado sound, Bose comfort and Ultrasone S-Logic surround and EMF shielding to reduce 98% of emmissions. Does it exist ?
Nov 22, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #61 of 108
It must be the combination of the E and M that freaks most of the population. I mean, electro and magnetic? Can't be good at all.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #63 of 108
yes, I has some nice sennys (HD 555) dont need an amp to listen to, very clear, no fatigue whatsoever, I wear these headphones even when I am not listening to music, just because I like the velour pads. also they are fairly low impedance (50Ω nominal) meaning they produce relatively little emf in their coils.

also they are easily opened so you can put some tin foil shielding in there if you really want to.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #64 of 108
Don't worry, Wind. If you live a good lifestyle and don't listen to phones for hours a day, you'll probably be fine. Otherwise, find some Ultrasones. Just don;t accept their little marketing gimmick; be independent and find out for yourself what to believe. I have to imagine stuff like cellphones and microwaves are a lot worse than most headphones. My dad does not wear his cell most of the time, he puts it on the dash in the car or on a table most of the time.

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #66 of 108
This morning yahoo put this on their frontpage. I only visit yahoo because they always have funny headline news, but this one is actually surprisingly good, at least for US news. I post it here because I seen a good number here think they know everything there is to know about emf. I'm sure they will find this interesting.

http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/WH/is-your-health-on-the-line

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM Post #67 of 108
RF from cellphones is very different from the magnetic fields that drive your headphones. And there are many ongoing studies about the long-term effects of cell phones, without much conclusive evidence. My bet is that this will essentially be an unresolved issue until current teenagers are in their 60s and we can see if anything bad is happening to them.

Dec 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #68 of 108
First off, any "new" article that ends in a question mark is not a news article.  There are always wackos on the other side of the fence.  When the LHC was going to fire up, some idiots tried to sue CERN to keep it offline, because they claimed the black holes were going to destroy the world.  I guess, if you're an "expert" in a certain field of study, you're trying to get noticed, and your current research isn't doing it for you, then state something outrageous. 

The armies of nutritionists that champion a healthy balanced diet, the ones that are hired by Olympians, pro athletes, etc. all go unnoticed.  But some loon named Atkins tells people to eat zero carbs and gets a diet named after him. 

Looking up the people interviewed in that article, they're a bunch of jokers.  Cindy Sage has no educational background besides "being involved in the field of research for many years."  What about a degree in electrical engineering, physics, or some other major that involves EMF study?  Kerry Crofton, while she holds a PhD, holds one in psychology!  So basically, her education entails zero knowledge about electricity OR the physical aspects of the human body.  I mean, a psychiatrist at least goes to med school, cuts up a cadaver, actually learns about a human body, all that good stuff. 

That's the problem with the internet.  Any blog is suddenly a legitimate news source, and any wacko with a contrary viewpoint is suddenly a "pioneer."

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #69 of 108
Exactly.

The article you linked is not necessarily wrong, but is not credible enough to be taken seriously at the moment.

Where are your sources? Peer reviewed studies and journals? You're obviously not well versed in science in general or you would know never to link to a article like that to back up your claim. Like the person above said, this is the problem with the internet. Suddenly everyone is an expert. And their opinion is just as good as anyone else's..... What a sad sad place our intellectual aspect of our world has been reduced to silly sensationalist, non peer reviewed, yahoo news sources. 

Also. That is about cellphones, not about headphones. There kind of is a differnece. I usually don;t pick up my cellphone and try to use them as headphones..... 

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #70 of 108
No need for such vitriol. I was just sharing another point of view. Emf safety is a topic hotly debated for decades, and there certainly are experts on both sides of the fence otherwise there would be no more research.

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #71 of 108
I don't think there are any scientists here, so we are not going to read any educated responses. There is a nice expression in Russian for these situations, I would translate it like "Don't throw shiny stuff in front of the pigs".

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #72 of 108
Preliminary research (took like 5 minutes of my time) indicate:

http://www.jbsound.com.au/ultrasone-shielding.pdf

A journal article about EMF of headphones. (from Ultrasone themselves, no conclusions drawn about heath impact) 

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs322/en/index.html

World Health Organization article on EMF. 

There are definitely more articles out there. As far as I can see, the impact of headphones on our daily exposure to electromagnetism is incredibly small, especially in comparison to other sources. 

Lastly, even better supporting evidence (Ultrasone themselves):

Ultrasone AG is a German company specializing in headphones for studioDJ, and consumer uses. Ultrasone's headquarters are located in TutzingBavaria, Germany. The company has manufacturing facilities in Germany, the USA, Austria, and Taiwan.​

Overview

Ultrasone AG was founded in 1991 with the stated objective to manufacture advanced headphones with an emphasis on the professional audio sector. A feature of many Ultrasone headphones is a proprietary surround-sound simulacrum technology called S-Logic. The process uses decentralized transducer positioning to spread sound over the outer ear in an attempt to mimic sound heard over speakers.​

Since 1999, Ultrasone AG has been producing headphones that they claim reduce the risk of hearing damage, through the use of more efficient transducers and earcups shielded to reduceelectromagnetic radiation, designated as LE/ULE (Low/UltraLow Emission). Ultrasone claims that magnetic fields so close to the head could contribute to "listener fatigue" and might be "a potential health hazard". According to Ultrasone, their headphones reduce magnetic emissions by up to 98 percent compared to other headphones.​

However, the scientific consensus is that electromagnetic radiation from headphones does not constitute a health hazard. According to the World Health Organization, "no scientific basis currently exists for a connection between electromagnetic hypersensitivity and exposure to electromagnetic fields."​

As for the article in discussion (in italics above):

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs296/en/
Also from the World Heath Organisation.

Hopefully this can bring this discussion to a close. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #73 of 108

Quote:
I don't think there are any scientists here, so we are not going to read any educated responses. There is a nice expression in Russian for these situations, I would translate it like "Don't throw shiny stuff in front of the pigs".

And we can take your word that you're always correct, right? Considering you're taking promotional material from a company that wants your money as proof too, so you must be the educated one here.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #75 of 108
Man.... has anyone read my comment and article?

No one here is a scientist.... right. I guess I'm on my way then? Also, even though none of us here are experts, we can still find good journals and cited sources regarding this issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back