Grado sound, Bose comfort and Ultrasone S-Logic surround and EMF shielding to reduce 98% of emmissions. Does it exist ?
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 108

Quote:
Shnitz, on every forum there is a guy that considers himself smarter than everybody else. I suppose you are one of these guys. Sorry my english is not pleasing you, its my third language actually, I would like to see you writing in another language as good as I do in english :) Regarding EMF, its not a conincedence that your Ultrasone doesn't make you tired because it blocks 98% of EMF, I have same expereince with my HFI 780. Strong magnets do produce strong electromagnetic field, same thing happens when you talk on your cellphone for hours, your ears are getting hot because of strong electromagnetic field cause my wireless transmitter in your cellphone.

Actually...no...I've tried a few Ultrasones and their sound sig was kinda tiring to ME (Yes, me. Don't bother arguing against that.) The SR225 is also a tiring headphone. Not because of the EMF (really, it's all just marketing BS) but because it's a treble-happy headphone. They're usually somewhat fatiguing.

I've never felt my ears getting hot when I've been on the phone.

Quote:
I hate to make my first post on this forum to be on of aggression but honestly, this thread is so full of stupid.

First of all, EMF has NOTHING to do with your ears getting hot on a cellphone, that is your battery getting hot from use.

Second, the reason for blocking the EM field is to prevent interference with other electronics.  Magnets when moved past wires induce a current which will interfere with operations of the device.

Third, permanent magnets alone don't cause an EM field, they produce a B field (purely magnetic). An EM field is a combination of both the E field and B field.  An E field (Electric field) is produced by anything that has a charge (more electrons than it is suppose to).  When the headphones are on they use coils of wire to produce an EM field that drives the magnet back and forth but when they are off the magnet only produces a B field.

Finally, you will NEVER feel the effects of the EM field from your headphones.  It has no noticeable effect on your body, please don't try and make it seem like you know ANYTHING about physics as this is high school level stuff (grade 9).  Furthermore saying EMF field is a common mistake and having not posted where you are from we had know possible way of knowing that English was your third language.  The mistake is like someone saying "nu-cu-ler" instead of "nu-clee-er", it just makes you look stupid.

I didn't learn EMF or anything like that when I was in grade 9...

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 108

Quote:
So which headphone you are using now ?

AKG K271s, a vintage Beyer, modded (bright) Koss Portapro, Meelectronics M9s, UE SF4's Monster Turbines Coppers, and orthodynamics. Everything but the first two and orthos tire me after a couple hours, but I suck it up and take it like a man. I'm kinda in a bad situation because anything with more bass than the Coppers tend to annoy me, and anything brighter than the AKGs fatigue me too. Although Grados not so much.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #21 of 108
@Ledness, your first post, and I fully agree with it!

I keep multiple very strong rare earth magnets under my pillow every night, trying to erase my sick memories 
blink.gif
, no luck so far.

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #22 of 108

Quote:
Finally, you will NEVER feel the effects of the EM field from your headphones.  It has no noticeable effect on your body, please don't try and make it seem like you know ANYTHING about physics as this is high school level stuff (grade 9).  

You might want to keep an open mind here. I have been using my Grados to cook food ever since my stove broke back in the summer of 1998.

My Sr80's can fry an egg, I use the 325i's to cook steaks and my wife used the RS-1's to bake a cake.

I am going to get a set of the hd800's this week. It's our first time hosting the holiday meal, and we are going to try to use those to cook the whole thanksgiving dinner, including dessert!

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 108

Quote:
The EMF field that my Grado SR 225 producing makes my ears tired. It almost looks like that in such saturated market there is an opportunity for new headphone. The one thay will have Bose comfort, Grado sound and Ultrasone's S Logic surround and EMF shielding that blocks 98% of emmisions. Ultrasone almost got it, but their full size models are too big and not super comfortable and their iCans are not getting good reviews.

No, what you are experiencing is fatigue due to the interaction between the frequency response of the SR225 and the resonant frequency of the human ear canal.

Take a look at this graph from headroom:

People throw around terms like "professional" and "studio quality" a lot but the Beyerdynamic DT250 is in fact a tool used by people who have to wear a pair of headphones for a really long time every day. You see fewer threads about the DT250 than for Beyer's other high-end products because it's marketed directly at professionals and pretty much nobody else. It's an expensive can that has been a tool of professionals for a long time.

That big dip in the red line right at 6khz is there on purpose. This is because most humans have an ear canal that resonates somewhere between 6khz and 7khz.

Most people can't consciously detect that what they're hearing at that frequency has a painful resonant harmonic, but it's there, it's painful, and it's the usual cause of fatigue from listening to headphones for a long time.

Quote:
 Strong magnets do produce strong electromagnetic field, same thing happens when you talk on your cellphone for hours, your ears are getting hot because of strong electromagnetic field cause my wireless transmitter in your cellphone.

No, that's because you held a piece of plastic against your ears for hours.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #24 of 108
My recommendation is to turn down the volume. Grados hurt when you listen too loud. You will eventually get used to the lower volume and the fatigue will go away.

As for comfort, look for a pair of C pads or other tweaks to increase Grado comfort - there are a few out there.

Don't worry about the magnet flux. That's a sales gimmick. You'll find any number of magnetic products that are supposed to cure ailments. Magnetic fields won't bother you unless you really overdo it. Headphones are not going to bother you.

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #25 of 108
The safety of emf is a topic which has experts bickering back and forth with zero consensus. Needless to say any discussion on this kind of forum would be equally pointless.

Quote:
I saw this before. Some crazy lady on a bus was yelling at everyone that was using a cellphone. Said the cellphones were emitting EMF rays and it was driving her nuts.It was an interesting bus ride

Maybe, but according to Dr. WHO? the leading cause of brain failure is iodine deficiency.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #26 of 108
He's right here guys.
It doesn't bother me with headphones, but it does with cell phones.  So I'd believe him when he says its the EMF thats doing this to him.
Quote:
Shnitz, on every forum there is a guy that considers himself smarter than everybody else. I suppose you are one of these guys. Sorry my english is not pleasing you, its my third language actually, I would like to see you writing in another language as good as I do in english :) Regarding EMF, its not a conincedence that your Ultrasone doesn't make you tired because it blocks 98% of EMF, I have same expereince with my HFI 780. Strong magnets do produce strong electromagnetic field, same thing happens when you talk on your cellphone for hours, your ears are getting hot because of strong electromagnetic field cause my wireless transmitter in your cellphone.

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #27 of 108
Ericj thank you very much for very useful info its good to know. What I found is that my Ultrasone has same drop around 6000 Hz

graphCompare.php

So this is great I did buy right headphone, if it blocks EMF its even better. I'm assuming that HFI 780 would have similar frequency response to HFI 580. Shure btw highly appreciated by professionals and many people on this forum also has similar drop but just a bit less pronounced.

graphCompare.php

I finally found it HFI 780 has same dip, the guy that wrote about it didn't realize what its for obviously. The funny thing is that their Pro line doesn't have the dip, cause they really wanted them to be accurate. Its very good that I didn't go with Pro line !
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out how flat these upper level Audio Technica ATH W5000 phones are until the 10 and 16db dips at 3.15K and 6.3K respectively. Good stuff but not quite good enough.
hp_rta_atw5000.jpg
hp_w5000.jpg

Ohh, and on these Ultrasone HFI-780 we have that double HF dip as well..
hp_rta_780.jpg
hp_780.jpg

This HF dip pattern is showing up in several headphones. My guess is that some of the headphone designers are actually tailoring the responses a bit to account for the percieved loudness effects as described in the Fletcher Munson Curves to provide a sound that is 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how different Ultrasone models look

graphCompare.php

Nov 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #28 of 108

Quote:
He's right here guys.
It doesn't bother me with headphones, but it does with cell phones.  So I'd believe him when he says its the EMF thats doing this to him.
Quote:

Umm Cell phones make your ears hot because of the heat produced by the circuitry not because of the EMF. Not to mention most of your bodies heat is lost through your ears so if you block your ears off then alot of your warmth is preserved. Most Cell phones produce both effects by adding  heat to your ears and compounding  the energy your body would normally lose.  You do know that all a sell phone is , is a tiny computer which will produce heat just like any computer is . I mean CPU's a re bassically  resistors with very logical paths to compute many  many equations at once which prouduces alot of heat. It's why I have water cooling my computer right now. It's a neccesity to dissapate heat on ANY electronics.

Now if his ears are tired on Grado's then I'd assume its due to the fact that grado's are harsher then your average headphone. Infact that's one thing some people are sensitive too, so I can totally see tha this headphone is tiring him not the EMF which your body is subjected to when ever you come in contact with anything everywhere.

Oh and if EMF was that big of a Deal then the T1 wouldn't be so popular now would it?

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #29 of 108
Yes, having a dip around the 6khz-7khz area is a very common feature of headphones. The response graph of the grado even shows that good old John made an effort to tame a big peak right there, but the sound signature he's going for sort of predicates that he can't have that huge notch that recording engineer headphones have.

You might want to take a look at the headphone driver pics thread - it'll give you some idea how hard the designers work to get to a particular response curve. All those different shapes of ridges, doping coatings, etc - they affect different acoustics.

Tailoring the frequency response to an inverse of the fletcher-munson curves is also a pretty common trick - Ultrasone just does it more than most. It's a valid strategy - it just means that different headphones will sound "right" at different relative volumes depending on where they fall vs. the fletcher-munson effect. Ultrasone shoots for that at a fairly low volume - this is what they're talking about when they say that their headphones sound good at lower volumes than others.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #30 of 108
If I may, one of the reasons you are having discomfort could be from having supraaural cans instead of circumaural.  The pressure that the Grados put directly on the ears can be uncomfortable for a lot of people.

In terms of comfort, portability and sound quality, a lot of people are saying impressive things about the Phiatons, which might be exactly what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back