Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,487 of 2,110
With reference to the tape mod I am not talking taping the pads. I am talking about placing a scotch tape horizontally across air vent of cup.
Changes the sound signature of mine dramatically.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #1,488 of 2,110
With reference to the tape mod I am not talking taping the pads. I am talking about placing a scotch tape horizontally across air vent of cup.

never heard of that

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,491 of 2,110
No difference to the bass at all then, just the treble?
There is. LF are more but only a bit. Quality-wise it's also more detailed, less generic. Easier to pinpoint lower, mid and upper bass. But only a bit better. The huge improvement is on the treble.

So for me this new SR80e is a LOT of improvement on the "i". As I've said, it really got closer to RS1i without the wooded effect. Comments on "e" vs "i" so far say either no difference or only small improvement. Well, not on my ears. The improvement on detail especially treble is a lot.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,492 of 2,110

I've also never heard of this.
These are open back headphones, which are designed to be open in the back…the closer I put my hands to my cups, the worse the sound gets. Most people even take the buttons off the grills, so more air will flow…you are restricting the air flow, which should not be for the better. If anything…try the hole mod on the back of the drivers, or the tape mod around the cushions for more bass. 
size]

There is. LF are more but only a bit. Quality-wise it's also more detailed, less generic. Easier to pinpoint lower, mid and upper bass. But only a bit better. The huge improvement is on the treble.

So for me this new SR80e is a LOT of improvement on the "i". As I've said, it really got closer to RS1i without the wooded effect. Comments on "e" vs "i" so far say either no difference or only small improvement. Well, not on my ears. The improvement on detail especially treble is a lot.

Have you ever owned/heard the RS1i for enough time to say this? I do understand the 80i and the RS1i do basically share the same sound signature…but the RS1i will absolutely perform amazingly with a nicely matched amp. Not to knock the 80i in any way, they are excellent headphones, but I say this because I've listened to my 80i's through either my WA6/Lyr, and in no way do they sound as good as the RS1i's…the RS1i definitely benefits from the amping, where as with the 80i, its much harder to hear the advantage from amping IMO/IME. 
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,493 of 2,110
These are open back headphones, which are designed to be open in the back…the closer I put my hands to my cups, the worse the sound gets. Most people even take the buttons off the grills, so more air will flow…you are restricting the air flow, which should not be for the better. If anything…try the hole mod on the back of the drivers, or the tape mod around the cushions for more bass. :bigsmile_face:

Have you ever owned/heard the RS1i for enough time to say this? I do understand the 80i and the RS1i do basically share the same sound signature…but the RS1i will absolutely perform amazingly with a nicely matched amp. Not to knock the 80i in any way, they are excellent headphones, but I say this because I've listened to my 80i's through either my WA6/Lyr, and in no way do they sound as good as the RS1i's…the RS1i definitely benefits from the amping, where as with the 80i, its much harder to hear the advantage from amping IMO/IME. :wink:
Yes. I've got a RS1i, SR325is too, and the SR80i. Bought 80i and 80e just couple of weeks apart. So break in is no issue.

Just saying the 80e got closer or TOWARDS RS1i. More detail, and particularly FINER treble (as opposed to courser). But yeah agree with you, RS1i is still a LOT better than 80e now.

I'm sure you'll fisagree and most others, but right now, I find my 80e extracting a tiny bit more detail to my ears at same volume position. I could hear more pages turning, more breath, more saliva, more lips opening-closing, and more tape hiss. However, at same level of dB in my ears, RS1i is still more detailed and overall sound sig much better. I like best the wooded effect too. I'm using iPhone 5s only. Haven't got the time to try them on my home rigs yet. Will give my opinions on them later. I'm quite sure the RS1i will be much more better on the rigs obviously, with the SR80e benefiting not as much.

This is why I'm so excited by the higher models SR325e, RS1e and PS500e.

Just my 2 ears, Joseph. Find an 80e, and let us know if we have same observations. I was very surprised with what my ears hear on them, especially considering posts/comments saying they have no or minimal if at all differences. The diff are a lot to me.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,494 of 2,110
Yes. I've got a RS1i, SR325is too, and the SR80i. Bought 80i and 80e just couple of weeks apart. So break in is no issue.

Just saying the 80e got closer or TOWARDS RS1i. More detail, and particularly FINER treble (as opposed to courser). But yeah agree with you, RS1i is still a LOT better than 80e now.

I'm sure you'll fisagree and most others, but right now, I find my 80e extracting a tiny bit more detail to my ears at same volume position. I could hear more pages turning, more breath, more saliva, more lips opening-closing, and more tape hiss. However, at same level of dB in my ears, RS1i is still more detailed and overall sound sig much better. I like best the wooded effect too. I'm using iPhone 5s only. Haven't got the time to try them on my home rigs yet. Will give my opinions on them later. I'm quite sure the RS1i will be much more better on the rigs obviously, with the SR80e benefiting not as much.

This is why I'm so excited by the higher models SR325e, RS1e and PS500e.

Just my 2 ears, Joseph. Find an 80e, and let us know if we have same observations. I was very surprised with what my ears hear on them, especially considering posts/comments saying they have no or minimal if at all differences. The diff are a lot to me.

Didn't know you owned all the above!
I was thinking you happen to just hear the RS1i's, and were making a comparison, sorry.
Good to hear you are so impressed with the 80e. BTW don't make me try an e series…thats all I need, lol!!! When you get to your main rig, let us know the differences.
size]

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,495 of 2,110
Didn't know you owned all the above!
I was thinking you happen to just hear the RS1i's, and were making a comparison, sorry.
Good to hear you are so impressed with the 80e. BTW don't make me try an e series…thats all I need, lol!!! When you get to your main rig, let us know the differences.
:beerchug:
Yes, bought them for the kids :)stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:excuse for wife...lol), only RS1i is for me...lol. I will try to give comments using rig later. Cheers.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,496 of 2,110
These are open back headphones, which are designed to be open in the back…the closer I put my hands to my cups, the worse the sound gets. Most people even take the buttons off the grills, so more air will flow…you are restricting the air flow, which should not be for the better. If anything…try the hole mod on the back of the drivers, or the tape mod around the cushions for more bass. 
size]

True that.
However, place the tape across the cup horizontally will change the sound signature not to request more bass but more balanced sound.
With my Grado SR80's I found the need to open the rear cup hence remove button/label let more air in due to small cup and it worked.

Conversely, with the RS1i's I am finding the opposite that slightly restricting the air vent changes the sound signature, producing a flatter sound.

YMMV, but for me it's been a revelation.
Good luck.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #1,498 of 2,110
Darn...my new SR80e beats my RS1i on treble detail extraction using a separate DAC and amplifier. I don't know, maybe I really have diamond ears...hehe

My RS1i improved more on the rigs, especially on the LFs. And I like the RS1i overall, the woodies character. But my SR80e still revealed more HF details.

Hope someone would do a side by side too so I wouldn't think I'm losing it...lol

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,499 of 2,110
That's quite a statement diamondears, when was the last time you had your ears checked, I SAID, WHEN WAS THE TIME... I'm just kidding, I myself, prefer the Bushmills to the RS1i, so you are not alone to prefer a less expensive model to the RS1i.

Oct 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,500 of 2,110
  That's quite a statement diamondears, when was the last time you had your ears checked, I SAID, WHEN WAS THE TIME... I'm just kidding, I myself, prefer the Bushmills to the RS1i, so you are not alone to prefer a less expensive model to the RS1i.

You can always enjoy a soundsignature of a headphone more than a other. Even if one is more expensive or technically better. And hey, it's good for your wallet so don't overthink it and enjoy the music 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back