Grado modders go Magnum
Jul 14, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #2,747 of 4,994
Where can I get aluminum housing for my Magnums, I have wood ones but I'm curious about the differences in sound between the two matters.
(Grado cups layout for CNC would be good as well).

Thanks

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,749 of 4,994
The cups I have gotten from Vibro Labs, can they have a lacher applied to them without messing out the sound?

Well, it's hard to say how much the lacquer affects the sound if at all unless you do a side by side comparison. However, I imagine that the fellows at Turbulent/Vibro have done extensive testing and would have not used lacquer if it turned out to be detrimental to the sound.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #2,750 of 4,994
Well, it's hard to say how much the lacquer affects the sound if at all unless you do a side by side comparison. However, I imagine that the fellows at Turbulent/Vibro have done extensive testing and would have not used lacquer if it turned out to be detrimental to the sound.

Edit: i just realized that you are asking if its ok to lacquer them because they dont come with any applied. I would contact turbulent and ask. In my opinion lacquer applied to the outside of the cups only should have no affect on the sound whatsoever but applied to the inside I dont know.

Jul 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,751 of 4,994
Edit: i just realized that you are asking if its ok to lacquer them because they dont come with any applied. I would contact turbulent and ask. In my opinion lacquer applied to the outside of the cups only should have no affect on the sound whatsoever but applied to the inside I dont know.

thanks I appreciate the input and I can't imagine it would have much affect but its always good to ask. I'll email Luke

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #2,752 of 4,994
From what I recall they treat the outsides of their cups, but not the insides.

Interestingly enough, when I got some cups from Cabillas he advised I paint the insides black...couldn't bring myself to do it...

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,753 of 4,994
Quote:
The cups I have gotten from Vibro Labs, can they have a lacher applied to them without messing out the sound?

I honestly wouldn't advise it. At least, not a hard shiny finish and definitely not inside the. Maybe an oil would be less worrisome.
Quote:
From what I recall they treat the outsides of their cups, but not the insides.

Interestingly enough, when I got some cups from Cabillas he advised I paint the insides black...couldn't bring myself to do it...

That is interesting..

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,754 of 4,994
I got this email from Luke

"You can apply lacquer to the exterior of the cups. Nitrocellulose
lacquer is a preferred finish for instruments.

Keep the insides bare mahogany.

If you want, you can sand up the interior to a fine grit like 600 if
you want to "tighten up" everything.

I leave the insides freshly cut because I find its easier for
customers to sand the interior to their liking instead of rough it up
to their liking."

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #2,755 of 4,994
Just wanted to add that the freshly cut interior is nice because the open pours of mahogany get packed well with sawdust when sanding, it's tough to reverse this process without cutting it again. Turned or drilled surfaces are not nearly as smooth and uniform as routed surfaces. Turned and especially forstner bit drilled bores have a lot of tearing on the surface that is non-existent with a good router bit and proper toolpath. Forget spade bit drilled bores, you might as well have just used cardboard for your cups. Yes, the path the tool takes makes a difference. I've spent hours investigating this... so my customers don't have to. (I'd like that week of my life back, please. Please?)

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #2,756 of 4,994
Quick question for anyone with V5 drivers, I've never used these until yesterday. Do they benefit from a certain amount of burn in with say pink noise?

I also had some G cush pads sitting around and besides the ear piercing highs they created they were pretty good but for now I'm using the stock pads that came with the 80i's. What's the general opinion on the best pads to use?

What kind of amps are you guy using? Currently I only have the O2

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #2,758 of 4,994
Quote:
Not one pair of custom Magnums being sold or posted in pictures have failed to disappointment in the looks department.

I don't know...I have seen a few nice builds...I personally thought mine were sex-a-ma-licious, but there's no accounting for taste sometimes :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660712/old-magnum-x-build-in-cabillas-cups-w-headphone-lounge-cable

Still kind of regret selling them.

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #2,759 of 4,994
Quote:

I don't know...I have seen a few nice builds...I personally thought mine were sex-a-ma-licious, but there's no accounting for taste sometimes :D

http://www.head-fi.org/t/660712/old-magnum-x-build-in-cabillas-cups-w-headphone-lounge-cable

Still kind of regret selling them.

Well that's the thing and what I said, no Magnum custom modded with wooden or aluminium cups have failed to disappoint me with the looks, I really dig the stuff the Martin's Custom Audio has for a long time since v2 Magnum's. But what is Magnum's? Different drivers?

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #2,760 of 4,994
Indeed...different drivers...originally they were designed to be housed in an all aluminium setup. Now they are made to be housed in the wooden cups sold by Turbulent Labs. Martin does a beautiful job of making something more personalized, one-of-a-kind, and artful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back