Grado modders go Magnum
May 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #2,581 of 4,994
How could I do it based on the sr60's?

May 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2,582 of 4,994
How could I do it based on the sr60's?

open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...

May 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #2,583 of 4,994
open up the cups using whatever method you like. Using a side cutter trim back the hot glue and plastic tabs that are holding the driver in place. then using a clamp and 2 chunks of wood press out the existing driver gently... You should now have the stock driver liberated. You now can replace it with the magnum... Use hot glue to hold the driver in the ring if needed, reassemble...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560806/sr60-mod-part-ii/1170

post 1177

May 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,584 of 4,994
Eh, if Magnums are the direction then might as well do it right and get nice cups

May 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #2,585 of 4,994
Plastic is no good for top drivers. Go the extra mile and it'll pay off.

May 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,586 of 4,994
May 12, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #2,587 of 4,994
so magnum v5 drivers, wood cups and (even though I'm skeptical) aftermarket cables. What is cheapest with the best value?

May 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #2,588 of 4,994
Quote:
so magnum v5 drivers, wood cups and (even though I'm skeptical) aftermarket cables. What is cheapest with the best value?

and a headband too! (lots of stuff fits if you want something a bit different)

I'd make my own cables... its easy enough and won't cost a ton... (grab some 24/26 awg 2 pair, a plug from amazon/radioshack/ebay and anything else if you want to dress up your creation)

May 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #2,589 of 4,994
Quote:
Eh, if Magnums are the direction then might as well do it right and get nice cups

I don't remember if you had an O2, but the Magnums are a good match with amps like that and benefit from the low noise floor.

I actually think the stock Grado wire is ok. If you want to go the pretty cable route, last I looked (which was quite a while ago) Double Helix Cables sells his stock wire for $2/ft. Braiding takes a couple of tries to get the hang of. Getting a few lengths of different size heat-shrink helps as you can use bits as a kind of "rubber band" to hold the braided (or twisted) ends together while you strip and solder the ends. It's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Also, occasionally Magnum builds come up in the classifieds for very reasonable prices.

May 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #2,590 of 4,994
Quote:

Also, occasionally Magnum builds come up in the classifieds for very reasonable prices.

Yeah a guy just contacted me giving me first dibs on some V5's so that is pretty much what is going to happen. What do you think about aftermarket cables? Is there any audible difference or is it just marketing? It has to do with magnums so it isn't off-topic.

Oh and yesterday I learned the Magni and O2 are pretty much identical (and Magnum V4's sound quite well on them indeed)

May 20, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #2,591 of 4,994
Finished my Magnum v5 build from my old SR80 chassis with Martin's mahogany cups. All I can say is wow. I've had a chance to compare them side-by-side with my SR325is today. I didn't think I could get better clarity and detail over my 325is. Not only more detail in the highs and mids, but deeper, tighter bass too. All the things I liked in the SR325is over the 80s, but even more of it.  

May 20, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #2,592 of 4,994
Yup, the Magnums are really something else. I find them a bit tougher to drive to the max when comparing to regular Grado drivers. More voltage to them Magnums and the scaling get's really high up there 
size]

May 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2,593 of 4,994
Well, after a couple of months, I am finally done building (assembling) my Magnums V5. 

I have to say that the whole process is a very rewarding experience. Everybody at Turbulent are great in customer service, and the people here in the forum are very helpful and friendly.

The sound quality is very good right out of the box. I feel much better detail and better bass response than the SR80i and the SR225i. They still retain much of the Grado sound signature IMO. I wish my English and my experience was good enough to make a full review, but all I can say for now is  really like these headphones, and I think I am going to keep these for a while.

(forgive the lighting)

My build consisted in:
  1. Symphones X Drivers
  2. Vibro Vintage Cups (Beautiful work)
  3. 6+ feet Canare L-4E6S, with 1/4 Neutric plug, and, naked form the Y connect to the drivers.
  4. Stock SR80i headband and gimbals (manta headband on its way (couldn't resist, sorry wallet))
  5. Old Grado L-cush from my SR80is
In the future I would like to put a nice cable, or at least change the sleeve of the current for the sake of the look.

Anyway, thank you Head-Fiers and Turbulent for helping me put together this little project. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back