Grado modders go Magnum
May 4, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,471 of 4,994
I have heard 5 sets plus a set of 3.5's. Out of the 5 sets I have three remaining, one of which is grey. The grey's are by far the smoothest (after 300 hours). However one of the remaining blacks is "Gradoish" in that it has a certain forwardness in the highs, but I would not characterize it as sibilant. However the other black is much smoother (even though it is in alluminium vs limba for the first one), not as smooth as the grey but much closer.

Quote:
So for the folks that has experience with two variation on the sound signature would you say that the less smooth version sound closer to the Grado Signature? I personally owned the first batch of Magnum driver and they were very smooth but I was hoping for a bit more sparkles on top. For the record I'm not sensitive to sibilance. 

So if anyone here feel that their Magnum drivers are too bright and would like to try a different set of drivers let me know.

May 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #1,473 of 4,994
Quote:
i got the black version and i really dont think mine are sibilant at all. they feel very very smooth. ive listened to ms1i and sr60i. the sr60i were WAAAY more sibilant. to the point that i could hardly listen to them. i used my hd650 bfore then, since getting the magnum i dear say i dont even want to listen to the hd650. i never thought they were "veiled" until i listened to the magnums for 6 hours, then put the 650s on. it sounded like someone threw a literal veil over the sound. i can blast the magnums and dont get a hint of sibilance. i got them literally a few days ago.

+1. With SR80s and my iPod at full volume, it quickly began to hurt my ears and didn't sound pleasant. With my magnums, the higher the volume, the better they sound (which is unfortunate because I know it's bad for my ears). My friend pointed this out when he A/B'd my Grados; he said he'd never heard a headphone that he actually found more enjoyable the higher the volume, which was reassuring
biggrin.gif

This may be a stupid question, but when you guys are referring to black or gray, you are referring to the color of the driver itself, and not of the metal chambers, right?

The former. Earlier versions of magnums were grey and the most recent (v4) is black. I'm not positive but I think that the v3.5 is grey in color, before that I don't know. I haven't been here long so I can't say for sure.

May 5, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #1,475 of 4,994
Quote:
V3.5 as all versions before were all black.
First batch of V4 were black with a white plastic ring, second batch were all grey (ring and mesh), third batch were all black.

Now, I'm really lost. But, I think I'm going to do it next week, it will be my first pair, so I won't be able to make all of these comparisons, but it seems like a worthwhile upgrade.

May 5, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #1,477 of 4,994
I understand that. From everything I've read, it sounds like even with the latest batch, that is a substantial upgrade. I really love the sound of my Grado's, I just wish they were slightly less sibilant and I feel like they're missing a little bit of something that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems like this will take care of all of that.

May 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #1,478 of 4,994
I'm a noobie when it comes to Magnums, I kn ow just about nothing with regards to them, so i have a few questions.
Is there only 1 mod that they do? Or do you have a choice between drivers and setups? I looked through their website and it was rather vague.
I realize that this is a rather subjective question but, do you believe it's worth the price to upgrade the MS2i's?
Thanks for bearing with me! 

smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #1,479 of 4,994
I cannot speak to the value. I know there is only one upgraded driver. You can choose which items to upgrade, should you do it yourself (air-chamber, driver, gimbals, buttons). I also know that Rhydon will stop doing the Magnum mods soon.

May 5, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #1,480 of 4,994
Any idea why Martin Custom Audio is ignoring my emails? I'm trying to get a quote for some cups and he won't reply.

May 5, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #1,481 of 4,994
I think Marty is pretty busy during the weekdays but I'm sure he will eventually reply you. I always got reply from him within a few days

May 5, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #1,482 of 4,994
Okay, I'll be patient. I guess I'm getting a little irritated at some of the small audio companies. Lawton Audio won't even complete my order so I can give him money, that's just nutty.

May 6, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #1,483 of 4,994
Quote:
Any idea why Martin Custom Audio is ignoring my emails? I'm trying to get a quote for some cups and he won't reply.

Since Marty is a new father, I'm sure he's also spending more time with his family and a bit less time on cutting cups.  In his messages about 4-5 months back, he was basically eluding to reaching a point of slowing down a bit.

Also, don't forget about Ohrenholz.  I've had some great cups cut and they looked and fit the drivers beautifully.

May 6, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #1,484 of 4,994
Since Marty is a new father, I'm sure he's also spending more time with his family and a bit less time on cutting cups.  In his messages about 4-5 months back, he was basically eluding to reaching a point of slowing down a bit.

Also, don't forget about Ohrenholz.  I've had some great cups cut and they looked and fit the drivers beautifully.

Okay, I'll check them out, thanks.

Just seems that so many small audio start ups are hard to reach; Smeggy never returned any emails, Lawton Audio won't complete my order, and Martin Custom has been silent for days. It's a little frustrating, to be honest. :wink:

May 6, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #1,485 of 4,994
I cant remember why, but I emailed Ohrenholz a while back and he said he couldn't do any work-problem with his shop I think?
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back