Grado modders go Magnum
Mar 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,351 of 4,994
x2
In general, the further the ear is from the driver the less dark the sound. This is in part multiplied by the density of the material as the denser the material is the less dark the sound is.
For the magnum driver I still prefer the g-cush however for comfort the reverse quarter modded 414 pads are a good compromise, and they are only $5.

Quote:
Modded 414 pads. So comfy, not as dark as the flats.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #1,353 of 4,994
If you don't mind saying, where did you get the cable?

yeah I love the cable as well! it's nice and allows me to move around easy as peas if i'm using them on the go. these things are also insanely light.

I could see that as being beneficial for DIY-ers but for anyone else it seems....like midrange said, just neurotic.

Ask themidrange haha.

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #1,355 of 4,994
haha indeed.

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #1,358 of 4,994

Quote:
Hi Jin again,

You said the Magnumified Grado is better than the RS1. So less bright or more bright as that's important as many Grados are usually north of neutral.

Thanks.

less bright..

i would say with magnum, you get all the grado goodness, without that annoying sibilance. just perfect

Mar 30, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,359 of 4,994

Quote:
Hi Jin again,

You said the Magnumified Grado is better than the RS1. So less bright or more bright as that's important as many Grados are usually north of neutral.

Thanks.

Just slightly less bright =) more neutral imo but not to the point of boring. More detail and its far from boring. The magnums also have a cleaner sound compared to the RS1. Less coloration more imaging.

Apr 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #1,362 of 4,994
I've decided to put my v4 up for sale. They do sound very close to my v2.5 and I've put too much money in the 2.5 to get anywhere close to how much i spend on them back so the v4 is up for sale and would get closer to what I spent on.

Although the two are different configs they do sound too similar to warrant having both of them in my possession. Also i do want to buy another headphone that requires getting some funds from selling some stuff off.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,363 of 4,994
With each passing day I love my magnums more and more. So spacious, so precise in their coverage of each instrument.

And the warmth that my set up provides offers me that in your face grado experience.

Everyone is this thread should listen to the new jazz/ambient/experiemntal album by Badbadnotgood. It's for free on their website. Good god does it sound majestic on my magnums. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #1,364 of 4,994
BBNG sounds pretty bada$$ on my Magnum v4s. Love that crunchy bass on that first track.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #1,365 of 4,994
Have you heard their album from last year as well? They can do no wrong at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back