Grado modders go Magnum
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #871 of 4,994

Quote:
I would tape the drivers to my head if it ended up sounding good... unfortunately I have hundreds invested in my magnum setups hahaha

Somebody needs to introduce just ONE model of Magnum equipped Grados to the nonmodders... I wonder how the actual SR325-based thread is going, I've yet to post because of all the pages discussing them being too much to read with my adult ADD 

I, too, have hundreds invested in the Magnums.  And, it's been worth every penny invested, too.  Don't waste your time on the SR-325 thread.  Been there, done that.  Nothing very exciting about those headphones.  Now, if someone were to give me a pair so that I could test them with some current gear, I might be open to allowing them to sit upon my head again.  Though, there is the issue with the heavier aluminum cups on the 325s, too, that I don't like.

I was also contemplating trying out the RS-1 / RS-1i Grados.  I've tried the MS-Pro, but want to see what the RS-1(i) is capable of.  However, with the variants that are out there - the "i", the non-"i", the "button" model, the "non-button" model, etc. - just leaves too much exposure to selecting the wrong pair.  Plus, at $500 (used), it's a bit of an investment to just try a pair of headphones that might equal the sound of the Magnums, but may not be better than them.  So, the $500.00 might go into something else instead.  I'm just not sure at the moment what to pick.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #872 of 4,994
Hey Wayne,  I think it safe to say that any pair/model of RS1 would be a good headphone. I think it's similar to what we just discussed regarding some variation of the Magnum drivers. In the end they are all sounding good. We are just getting too critical. 
wink_face.gif
  I'm too curious on trying the RS1. I've tried the RS2, got the MS-Pro now it still like them in the MS-Ultimate configuration. The are soundstage monster and surprisingly all the detail and bass quality remain very very good. 

Quote:
I, too, have hundreds invested in the Magnums.  And, it's been worth every penny invested, too.  Don't waste your time on the SR-325 thread.  Been there, done that.  Nothing very exciting about those headphones.  Now, if someone were to give me a pair so that I could test them with some current gear, I might be open to allowing them to sit upon my head again.  Though, there is the issue with the heavier aluminum cups on the 325s, too, that I don't like.

I was also contemplating trying out the RS-1 / RS-1i Grados.  I've tried the MS-Pro, but want to see what the RS-1(i) is capable of.  However, with the variants that are out there - the "i", the non-"i", the "button" model, the "non-button" model, etc. - just leaves too much exposure to selecting the wrong pair.  Plus, at $500 (used), it's a bit of an investment to just try a pair of headphones that might equal the sound of the Magnums, but may not be better than them.  So, the $500.00 might go into something else instead.  I'm just not sure at the moment what to pick.

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #873 of 4,994

I've owned rs1 and 2. No need to spend any sleepless nights thinking you're missing something. The magnum drivers do have their own flavor, but put your magnums in full mahogany cups and you'll pretty much have the RS sound. Airy. Put your magnums in aluminum and you pretty much have the 325 sound sig. With modest 'improvements' in each case such as smoothness and nicer bass perhaps but the flavor is not dramatic. Put your magnums in mahogany with a metal end cap glued over and I'll bet you have your hf2 with a little magnum flavor

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #875 of 4,994

Quote:
I've owned rs1 and 2. The magnum drivers have their own flavor, but put your magnums in full mahogany cups and you'll pretty much have the RS sound. Airy. Put your magnums in aluminum and you pretty much have the 325 sound sig. Bright. put them in plastic and you have sr series. Hot. With modest 'improvements' in each case such as smoothness and nicer bass perhaps but the flavor is not dramatic. Put your magnums in mahogany with a metal end cap glued over and I'll bet you have your hf2 with a little magnum flavor

I can't go along with that statement. Just for curiosity I once tried my V3.5's in the plastic shells (inners and outers) of my SR80i. And one thing I can say for sure: They absolutely did not sound SR, not SR60, not SR80 and also not SR225. No comparison. I have also tried the V3.5's and V4's in aluminum. None of them sounded as strident and fatiguing as the 325's.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #876 of 4,994

I have owned the SR325i "Gold Edition" in the pass and own the MS2 also and my Magnum in the aluminium chamber doesn't sound as bright as the SR325i and got not as laid back as the MS2 was. It's pretty much in the middle of the two for me. It could be that the Magnum has better bass and the instrument separation (Airiness I guest) and the amount of detail retrieval is where the Magnum win in my case.
Quote:

I've owned rs1 and 2. No need to spend any sleepless nights thinking you're missing something. The magnum drivers do have their own flavor, but put your magnums in full mahogany cups and you'll pretty much have the RS sound. Airy. Put your magnums in aluminum and you pretty much have the 325 sound sig. With modest 'improvements' in each case such as smoothness and nicer bass perhaps but the flavor is not dramatic. Put your magnums in mahogany with a metal end cap glued over and I'll bet you have your hf2 with a little magnum flavor

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #877 of 4,994
you're right on the mags in plastic strato, It does sound different than stock driver if you use the driver that comes with the sr60, and that is where the hotness comes from, I should have used the word 'artificial' in describing the affect of plastic, not hot............. But if you put a driver from a rs into a plastic, it would approach a mag in plastic. My point is only that the cup and driver is what makes the sound together, put a mag in any of the different cup materials and it goes towards that same sound as grado's in that particular material. A mag in metal will sound much more similar to an rs quality grado driver in metal than it does different..............Wow that sounds confusing. If it were up to me, I would not mention the word, or consider ANYTHING grado at this point, it only complicates things.  I'd like to start a new thread that is just devoted to maximizing the magnum and it's sound chamber exclusively, but I don't think there would be interest, first because the finer details of sound seems to take a backseat to appearance on this forum and second, still seems like many are hanging on to 'grado goes magnum' thread. There is so much that could be discussed just with the different versions of mags, the affect of break in and cup matching regarding magnums, that would warrent it's own thread. The title would be something like maximizing the potential of the magnum driver, instead of grado/magnum associations or look at my foolwooodiejacket, how amazing does that look !

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #878 of 4,994
I think this thread is still appropriate for Magnum optimization but to my knowledge we are somewhat depending on the Grado headband, earpads and so on. I know that other alternatives as been presented for the headband & pads but Grado is still in the root of the Magnum IMHO. It's very much the same with the Alessandro line of product.

Quote:
you're right on the mags in plastic strato, It does sound different than stock driver if you use the driver that comes with the sr60, and that is where the hotness comes from, I should have used the word 'artificial' in describing the affect of plastic, not hot............. But if you put a driver from a rs into a plastic, it would approach a mag in plastic. My point is only that the cup and driver is what makes the sound together, put a mag in any of the different cup materials and it goes towards that same sound as grado's in that particular material. A mag in metal will sound much more similar to an rs quality grado driver in metal than it does different..............Wow that sounds confusing. If it were up to me, I would not mention the word, or consider ANYTHING grado at this point, it only complicates things.  I'd like to start a new thread that is just devoted to maximizing the magnum and it's sound chamber exclusively, but I don't think there would be interest, first because the finer details of sound seems to take a backseat to appearance on this forum and second, still seems like many are hanging on to 'grado goes magnum' thread. There is so much that could be discussed just with the different versions of mags, the affect of break in and cup matching regarding magnums, that would warrent it's own thread. The title would be something like maximizing the potential of the magnum driver, instead of grado/magnum associations or look at my foolwooodiejacket, how amazing does that look !

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #879 of 4,994
Exactly my point, 'we' (myself not included) are letting s small cosmetic factor (the grado headband) keep us tethered to a grado mentaility and frame of reference. I have found a better made and more comfortable headband for $16 and am no longer grados' bitch. I'm unfettered and feathered flying free without limits. The grado band has a lot to be desired in any case. The cups constantly go out of adjustment vertically, twist incessently and with the only decent band, the thicker leather, are unecessarily heavy which is the prime cause of headphone discomfort. Once you reduce the weight, wood cups help here, a simple band is all that's needed for max comfort..........The only thing I bring along on my magnum journey is the $20 set of l-pads. Which ironically, was the first thing I hated about grados, and now it's the only thing I take from them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #880 of 4,994

Quote:
Exactly my point, 'we' (myself not included) are letting s small cosmetic factor (the grado headband) keep us tethered to a grado mentaility and frame of reference. I have found a better made and more comfortable headband for $16 and am no longer grados' bitch. I'm unfettered and feathered flying free without limits. The grado band has a lot to be desired in any case. The cups constantly go out of adjustment vertically, twist incessently and with the only decent band, the thicker leather, are unecessarily heavy which is the prime cause of headphone discomfort. Once you reduce the weight, wood cups help here, a simple band is all that's needed for max comfort..........The only thing I bring along on my magnum journey is the $20 set of l-pads. Which ironically, was the first thing I hated about grados, and now it's the only thing I take from them.

You're taking the form factor and the style, I'd think.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #881 of 4,994

Quote:

How does the Magnum's compare to the PS500? Or have Grado made a new model much like the Magnum's ? :)

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #882 of 4,994
I believe you're smiley face point is that even grado has jumped off their own ship, starting to offer an alternative to their 'house' sound. Yes the hf2 (500) is magnum'y. i.e. smoother, richer, more natural sounding. Are you going to wait for them to also offer an alternative to their 40 year old headband design before you blaze a new path ? be brave, It's ok to be grado-free.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #883 of 4,994

Quote:
I believe you're smiley face point is that even grado has jumped off their own ship, starting to offer an alternative to their 'house' sound. Yes the hf2 (500) is magnum'y. i.e. smoother, richer, more natural sounding. Are you going to wait for them to also offer an alternative to their 40 year old headband design before you blaze a new path ? be brave, It's ok to be grado-free.

Some people still prefer that 'house' sound. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back