Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 17, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #601 of 4,994

Quote:
With a little help from thelostMIDrange and some DIY (isn't this what it's all about) I am now able to use the Jaben cups with the Magnums in a wood inner chamber. 
The Grado G-cush pads are still a no go, but the G-cush knock offs sound great. Magnum bass impact with extra soundstage. 

Now I just need to take off the red anodizing.

It looks like things really came together nice.  Now, how about some listening impressions?  Are you liking what you're hearing?  

Also, your Magnums are all dark, as opposed to the recent versions.  Are you running an earlier version - v3 ?

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #602 of 4,994
Quick question, DO the V4 drivers sound better than the RS2 drivers IN WOODEN HOUSING such as the RS2 housing. ALSO how do the falt pads change the sound?

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #603 of 4,994
These are the V3.5's. I only had a half hour or so for a listen so impressions will follow once I have time to A/B, but I can already tell the MS ultimate mod with magnum drivers has the same effect as it does with the grado drivers. Moving the drivers away from your ear tends to increase the highs. However with the Magnums I have not noticed any loss of lower end. The mids will require some more critical listening.

Quote:
It looks like things really came together nice.  Now, how about some listening impressions?  Are you liking what you're hearing?  

Also, your Magnums are all dark, as opposed to the recent versions.  Are you running an earlier version - v3 ?

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #605 of 4,994
Is the difference between different Magnum versions a result of Rhydon's terrible quality control, or was it intentional?

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #606 of 4,994
This is sort of Magnum related.  Rhydon sent back the original 325is drivers when I got the V4 upgrade.  Might as well use them so I did the liberation mod to the drivers and luckily Chris_Himself had a beautiful set of RS1 clone cobolo cups from Ohrenholz for sale here.  These things are dimensioned amazingly well.  Sometimes flats can be a problem for non-oem cups but these fit just right and have the driver right where it should be in relation to the ear. 

I prefer the sound to my old MS-Pros,  doesn't have the detail or bass like the magnums,  but they are a fun and pleasureable listen.   Will probably try V4's in them eventually.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #607 of 4,994

Quote:
Is the difference between different Magnum versions a result of Rhydon's terrible quality control, or was it intentional?

This is nuts,  the quality control is fine.  The guy is perfecting the concept,  if you had any manufacturing or engineering experience you would know that development is an evolving process,  these aren't widgets.  This is called CI,  google it.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #608 of 4,994

Quote:
This is nuts,  the quality control is fine.  The guy is perfecting the concept,  if you had any manufacturing or engineering experience you would know that development is an evolving process,  these aren't widgets.  This is called CI,  google it.

All the hype about magnums was about the first few versions. Those sounded like they're up there with LCD-2s, according to reviews. The response regarding the newer versions are pretty much mixed but apparently they're not very close to the first few versions. If it's about perfecting the technique, then why are the variations so huge? Why is he moving away from the original sound signature that made the Magnums so popular?

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #609 of 4,994

Quote:
All the hype about magnums was about the first few versions. Those sounded like they're up there with LCD-2s, according to reviews. The response regarding the newer versions are pretty much mixed but apparently they're not very close to the first few versions. If it's about perfecting the technique, then why are the variations so huge? Why is he moving away from the original sound signature that made the Magnums so popular?

The variations aren't huge,  you are hearing from a bunch of Grado guys who have been listening to grados for ages.  Average headphone guy puts on a set of V1 thru V4 probably wouldn't say the differences are huge.  For my ears V2 & V4 are overall  close,  some aspects better than others. To put it in perspective the different versions are much closer than a classic RS1 and a modern RS1i. 

Also understand that the V4's are new,  takes time to digest everything.  I know people come to these forums for concrete black and white answers but those don't exist in audiophile world.   But definately quality control isn't an issue,   these V4's have more value added (that's an engineering term) than any thing else out there.   In layman's terms if you were to build a copy of the V4 with its quality it would easily cost you more than phones that cost over $1500.

I don't think that he is moving away from the original sound signature,  what makes you say that? Have you heard any of them?

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #610 of 4,994

Quote:

Now, a few words on versions.  In life, we see version changes with many products - automobiles, computer software, etc.  Each time, there has to be a cut-off point where something has to be pushed to production.  Then, the better ideas, changes, and revisions are incorporated into the next release.  It usually does not mean that the prior release was faulty, but if the manufacturer didn't make a cut-off point to send the item to production, the item would be in constant development or "change mode" ... yet, never reach production.

Sure, I would have been great to get the v.4 versions of the Magnum drivers right off the bat.  However, how many years would someone have to have waited to get them?  Now that v.4 is here, Rhydon has clearly indicated that the v.4 is the "final" release of the driver as everything that could be incorporated to make it "right" has been put into them.  This is a very exciting moment in the lives of us upgraders and hobbyists.

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #612 of 4,994
Even those LCD-2's you mentioned went through a revision.  There is nothing wrong with improving upon your design.  In fact, nearly everyone in this thread is thankful for Rhydon's continual efforts to raise the bar.  It isn't like he couldn't have kept selling the v1's if he wanted to.  If you would read this thread and the other Symphones thread you would find plenty of hype for nearly every version, including the current v4.  I don't believe the variations are as huge as you are making them out to be either, given that the v4 is not completely removed from the "grado" sound signature.

Quote:

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #613 of 4,994
Just when I thought I was safe....
 Where do I get the Orange ones...I'm 53 and love Orange..I need Orange Grado's......Yeah!!!!

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #614 of 4,994

Quote:
This is sort of Magnum related.  Rhydon sent back the original 325is drivers when I got the V4 upgrade.  Might as well use them so I did the liberation mod to the drivers and luckily Chris_Himself had a beautiful set of RS1 clone cobolo cups from Ohrenholz for sale here.  These things are dimensioned amazingly well.  Sometimes flats can be a problem for non-oem cups but these fit just right and have the driver right where it should be in relation to the ear. 

I prefer the sound to my old MS-Pros,  doesn't have the detail or bass like the magnums,  but they are a fun and pleasureable listen.   Will probably try V4's in them eventually.

I also woodied the extra 325i drivers in Mahogony cups. To me they sound better than the RS1i I used to own using flats. They're one of my favorite headphones now, detail isn't quite there like the Magnums but I like their tone and overall balance.

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #615 of 4,994

Quote:
Just when I thought I was safe....
 Where do I get the Orange ones...I'm 53 and love Orange..I need Orange Grado's......Yeah!!!!

Mr. Clein, Nice to see you around these parts again.  I'm not sure if you've been back since most of us jumped from the Grado SR-60 mod thread over to this Magnum thread.  However, it's been a fun ride.

Happy Holidays to you !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back