Grado modders go Magnum
Dec 11, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #511 of 4,994

Hey guys! I just wanted to let you know that I acquired the magnum V4 drivers and installed them into bloodwood cups turned by martin custom audio. They sound amazing but my only source is my phone, so I think I'm going to sell them and stay portable until I can invest in a full desktop setup. If you are interested here is a shameless plug for my for sale thread. Cheers! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Nah I did it with all sorts of help from the various threads here so I can't say I just DID it... I was an early adopter of the Magnums but I didn't speak up since I kinda stopped posting on Head-Fi when things got really busy in my life haha.

1. You need either a 1-piece complete or 2-piece shell, the drivers SHOULD pop into place, if not you'd better be handle with a file like I was for the RS-2 cups which was rough from the edges from having the drivers pry'ed out. You can also order the aluminum driver rings for the drivers to use an existing Grado cap, plastic or metal... IMO the shroom and nonshroom plastic caps between SR-60 to SR-225 have not made a difference. I have 0 experience with SR325's for I have not heard one. Marty does an awesome job to where the drivers pop right in and are held by the tension of the wood alone with no glue needed.

Marty, Cabillas, and Orenholtz make cups that accept a driver without adhesive or screws. I think there are a few one-off's on the SR-60 mod thread too but they're by skilled hands if you ever are looking for cups.

2. If you own Grados already, you just need to complete step 1 to have everything you need to build a complete Magnum.
3. In regards to soldering... yes you can do a no-solder option. Order cups with slots in it in place of the cable hole. I'm surprised more people haven't done this. It leaves a tiny gap tho I'm not sure how cool you guys are about that. I had my RS-2's slotted by Marty because I put some hotglue over the solder joint just cuz I sleep with my cans on and I do not want crap breaking on me EVER. Of course you want to zip tie your cable in as well.

If you ever need help, I'm available on skype yo.

I'm not a master at this, but it's relatively easy if you're patient and take the time to procure the right tools. 

I don't know if you're kidding or not but the coat hanger stuff is some next-level audiophile grade stuff.  It can be a little hard to braid though... =/

haha made one for you, I forgot to label the dude as me

This is hilarious btw! Maybe I should forget about upgrading my source and just snag some new cables 
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #514 of 4,994
Okay I'm very interested now.....I need to try some magnum v4's.........Any brave soul wana loan me some v2's to do a write up of the v2's versus vintage rs2's?

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #517 of 4,994
I added the O2 (Objective 2) amplifier into my stream this weekend with my Magnums.  I swapped out my Sony Walkman for my Sansa Fuze and I've finally reached the musical eternity that I've been on for many years.  1/2 of my weekend was spent being lazy, just sitting on my couch and listening.  Just beautiful sounds.  Not too bad for a total rig price of about $450.00.

Dec 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #518 of 4,994

Quote:
I added the O2 (Objective 2) amplifier into my stream this weekend with my Magnums.  I swapped out my Sony Walkman for my Sansa Fuze and I've finally reached the musical eternity that I've been on for many years.  1/2 of my weekend was spent being lazy, just sitting on my couch and listening.  Just beautiful sounds.  Not too bad for a total rig price of about $450.00.

OH MY GOODNESS, since Martin will have my FWJ here early next year, and since I will be getting two of the O2 amps from JDSLabs, and I have three Sansa Clip+ already, I will have the same setup as you!! :D

But I've been sinking alot more money into speakers lately... haha

Dec 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #519 of 4,994
I still have to build my two O2 amplifier. I haven't had time for it. Maybe in the holiday between Christmas and new year. I cannot wait with all the good review I have read so far.

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #520 of 4,994

Quote:
Not true.  You can do the Ms-Ultimate mod and you get enormous soundstage.

Does anyone know if pushing the drivers into the cup will simulate the MS-Ultimate mod?

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #522 of 4,994
I was curious about the MS Ultimate mod and I tried recessing the driver (Grado driver, not Magnum) in a set of cups but a) I only recessed it about 1/4 inch deep and b) was using L-cush pads, not the G.

To properly do that mod I think that you need to sink the driver at least 10-11mm and also use the G-cush pads.  I will order a pair of those pads and try out the full mod.  The one thing that was immediately obvious even in my 1/4' recessed mount was the decrease in volume.  I needed to increase the volume on my amp to achieve the same loudness as prior when the driver was mounted flush.  I wonder how much more volume gets lost with an even deeper driver and G-cush pads.  I did not hear any noticeable change in the soundstage, but again I was not doing the full mod properly.

Guess there is only one way to find out.  I do occasionally miss my K701s and only for that quality (soundstage).

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #523 of 4,994

Quote:
I was curious about the MS Ultimate mod and I tried recessing the driver (Grado driver, not Magnum) in a set of cups but a) I only recessed it about 1/4 inch deep and b) was using L-cush pads, not the G.

To properly do that mod I think that you need to sink the driver at least 10-11mm and also use the G-cush pads.  I will order a pair of those pads and try out the full mod.  The one thing that was immediately obvious even in my 1/4' recessed mount was the decrease in volume.  I needed to increase the volume on my amp to achieve the same loudness as prior when the driver was mounted flush.  I wonder how much more volume gets lost with an even deeper driver and G-cush pads.  I did not hear any noticeable change in the soundstage, but again I was not doing the full mod properly.

Guess there is only one way to find out.  I do occasionally miss my K701s and only for that quality (soundstage).

G-cushs are essential. Distancer depth should be between 11 and 14mm. Suggested distancer diameter would be 40mm, although I am not sure a wider diameter, as with normal cups,  would be that much detrimental. Soundstage increase is VERY noticeable after the full mod.

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #524 of 4,994

Quote:
OH MY GOODNESS, since Martin will have my FWJ here early next year, and since I will be getting two of the O2 amps from JDSLabs, and I have three Sansa Clip+ already, I will have the same setup as you!! :D

But I've been sinking alot more money into speakers lately... haha

How is it? I haven't gotten around to building it since I'm clinging onto my current desktop setup like the dickens but I have this odd feeling it's going to beat what I have now... it's supposed to be the amp to debunk this whole headphone amp business right?

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #525 of 4,994

Quote:

How is it? I haven't gotten around to building it since I'm clinging onto my current desktop setup like the dickens but I have this odd feeling it's going to beat what I have now... it's supposed to be the amp to debunk this whole headphone amp business right?

The reviews have been pretty good and I do believe it will give a nice sound.  And for a bit over 100 dollars, I would definitely try it.

Off topic, did you get the inspiration of your username from Steve Vai?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back